Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #4,141 of 42,298

Quote:
Mostly my computer. I also have a NuForce uDAC on the way. Really excited.

I've only used my CD Player as a source. Never tried my Computer or an external DAC. Oh wait, I did try my iPod nano once. It sounded like crap.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #4,142 of 42,298

Quote:
I've only used my CD Player as a source. Never tried my Computer or an external DAC. 

I'll let you know how it turns out.
biggrin.gif
I'll try it with my CD player as well!

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #4,143 of 42,298
Jul 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4,144 of 42,298
I just want to post that Mr Seamaster is letting use the Sophia for a little while so that I get to decide between Sophia or EML 5U4G mesh for my WA6. I will let you guys know what I think.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #4,145 of 42,298

Quote:
I've only used my CD Player as a source. Never tried my Computer or an external DAC. Oh wait, I did try my iPod nano once. It sounded like crap.

The uDAC RCA out is noticeably better than any iPod, and is closer to the level of the iBasso D4, D10 and Pico DAC.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #4,147 of 42,298
You may have been right.  I'm the kind of person that likes to understand WHY something is doing something rather than just treating the symptoms.  So, I took the tubes out today, took a steel brush and scrubbed the tube pins, and put them back into their original position.  The pins looked really clean before scrubbing, although they did have a slight blue tint to them.  Put them back in nice and shiny after a final cleaning with isopropyl. 

No static today.

Tube voodoo.  Even though tubes sound better, I can see why engineers made a push for digital technology.  Usually, digital errors make sense and can be easily debugged without the knowledge of the supernatural needed to use tubes.

Quote:
It's probably tube pin oxidation. Clean them.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4,148 of 42,298
You can easily use tubes in a digital circuit :wink:  At the same time, I have a number of analog transistor devices

Quote:
Tube voodoo.  Even though tubes sound better, I can see why engineers made a push for digital technology.  Usually, digital errors make sense and can be easily debugged without the knowledge of the supernatural needed to use tubes.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #4,149 of 42,298

Quote:
@ atbglenn:

How often have you had to replace your tubes? I know it will vary depending on use, but I'm curious.

Tubes can last for years. Replace them when you start to notice less output along with noticeable distortion, or when a tube just burns out. I haven't had a tube go bad yet..

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #4,152 of 42,298

Jack just replied. So as i guess, the change in circuit is an enhancement.

--quote--

The WA2, same as other models, has been enhanced over the years. In terms of
sound, the main different is in the pre-amp and the headphone output has
higher gain in the current version.

Thanks,
Jack

--unquote--

Quote:
oldwine (great user name)

I ordered my WA2 on February 4, 2010. Got the email shipping information on March 8. Delivered to my doorstep on March 11. I use it as a preamp. It is a wonderful preamp.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #4,154 of 42,298

Quote:
Is there any reason this tube wouldn't work in my WA6? I bought it but haven't tried it yet as it has an extra pin in # 1 position......

Would'nt want to damage anything and don't have as much experience as you guys :frowning2:

When I click on your link, it want's me to log into my ebay account. It's my policy never to trust links that ask for user names and passwords. What is the item number? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back