Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #4,006 of 42,298
For folks with 701s the sibilance is just part of what the 701s do if you have a neutral system like a Woo. imo the last thing you want to do is colorize the tone.

I checked out different balanced amps by different makers and my conclusions, there is no reason to get a balanced amp over a single end amp plus all the expense of balanced components.

What I asked myself was do I just want to keep buying amps and nos or used tubes or do I want to find the holly grail of audio reproduction once and for all.

imo the introduction of the HD-800s was the key factor for me not having to go to a high-end SAX system. Because I use my headphone gear for both music and BD movies, I needed something that would give me the illusion of out of head surround audio (360) with the slam that a sub gives you along with all micro details. And of course a sound stage and all the tonal quality's that are needed for music. imo I have found the holly grail for my needs with my WA5LE, tubes, headphones, cords, power supply and of-course my source player a Oppo BD-83SE Nuforce Edition. My setup is simple, source player->amp->headphones all within 1M of each other including my power supply.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #4,007 of 42,298
Yes, I realized long ago the K701 was not really right for me.  There are some things it does so very well, such as soundstage, that I hate to give up though.  The only headphones that offer a bigger soundstage cost much more.  I've basically decided to get an HD650 and split duties between the two.  I'd love to have a Beyer T1, but it is just too expensive right now and the well known 8Khz response peak also worries me some.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #4,008 of 42,298

Quote:
I also feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with sibilance.  I actually think I have it under control very well; part of my problem may be that I'm listening to my music too loudly.
darthsmile.gif
  I downloaded a parametric EQ for foobar, and I EQ'd around 7.6kHz down roughly 6.6-7dB, and it has helped quite a bit with certain music.

Yeah, I have a pair of NU and TS 6F8Gs, but I never use the Tung-Sols because they pick up noise/vibrations like crazy.  I tap on my chassis and it's loud as hell in my ears.  With my NUs, I could probably drive a jackhammer through my floor and it would be dead-silent (except for the fact that I'm jackhammering my floor...).
tongue_smile.gif

I actually am running it in balanced mode.  It's balanced from my DLIII all the way through to my headphones.  The change in going from single-ended to balanced wasn't HUGE, but it was noticeable. 

I think I'll keep looking for tube upgrades for the time being, then look into other headphones for music (the D7000s are excellent for movies and gaming, though).  I'll have to check out what markmaxxx suggested.

What are you doing for power?  Is it coming out directly out of the wall, or are you filtering?

I have the same stuff as you down to the DAC and I am not getting any sibiliance that I am noticing.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #4,009 of 42,298
Hello guys , I ended up buying a used 2008 made WA 6 with upgraded driver tubes. I have a ? For u guys. In the future I will upgrade to the Sophia for sure, but would it be worth for me to send the amp to get the power supply that is standard in the new ones . I think it is the psps.
Thanks

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #4,011 of 42,298

Quote:
PDPS. :wink: . I think the Sophia would be a better upgrade, but mine came with the PDPS, so I've not heard one without.

From what I've read, the PDPS make a BIGGER difference than a Sophia Princess. I remember being thrilled upgrading my stock WA6 to the PDPS a couple of years ago. The difference was significant from what I remember. Since I don't own the Sophia, I can't comment on how it sounds compared to others.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #4,012 of 42,298
Quote:
What are you doing for power?  Is it coming out directly out of the wall, or are you filtering?

I have the same stuff as you down to the DAC and I am not getting any sibiliance that I am noticing.

I'm not really doing anything for power; I have my WA22 and DAC plugged into a regular $10 surge protector.  I was thinking about picking up the Belkin PureAV PF30, since it seems like a steal at $65.

In response to Xcalibur, the parametric EQ doesn't really bother me much.  I did play around with foobar's default EQ, and I also didn't like the change in sound.  Sure, I could remove sibilance, but I was also losing a tiny bit of detail and it didn't seem right.  But this parametric EQ is great; I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all and the sound has improved.  I even removed the parametric EQ to see what the difference was like, and man, it sounds very strange with everything at neutral.

There's a thread somewhere around here on how to properly EQ your system, and I quickly followed the steps to find where the sibilance was occurring.  If I come across it again I'll send you a link.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #4,016 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm not really doing anything for power; I have my WA22 and DAC plugged into a regular $10 surge protector.  I was thinking about picking up the Belkin PureAV PF30, since it seems like a steal at $65.

In response to Xcalibur, the parametric EQ doesn't really bother me much.  I did play around with foobar's default EQ, and I also didn't like the change in sound.  Sure, I could remove sibilance, but I was also losing a tiny bit of detail and it didn't seem right.  But this parametric EQ is great; I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all and the sound has improved.  I even removed the parametric EQ to see what the difference was like, and man, it sounds very strange with everything at neutral.

There's a thread somewhere around here on how to properly EQ your system, and I quickly followed the steps to find where the sibilance was occurring.  If I come across it again I'll send you a link.

AudioDude,  take a look at the Humbuster III or The Duet at PS Audio.  From my perspective, the cleaner the power, the better the audio.  Just a thought.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #4,017 of 42,298

Quote:
Lol, oh man.  The problem with only right earphone working is back.  Guess I'll try cleaning the tube ends with some alcohol.  This is so annoying.

You can clean your tube pins with very fine steel wool. When you're finished, use 90% isopropyl alcohol to take off any remaining oxidation. Make sure there are no steel wool fibers that can possibly cause a short circuit left on the pins..

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4,018 of 42,298
I'll briefly add that the steel wool takes a lot of patience, especially cleaning the tube afterward.  I personally like to clean the pins with Deoxit after the wool to break up stubborn oxidation, then a final cleaning with alcohol.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #4,019 of 42,298
I clean up steel wool mess off of stuff (although haven't done it on a tube yet, but it should work) with a magnet.  Two seconds and no more steel particles.

Quote:
I'll briefly add that the steel wool takes a lot of patience, especially cleaning the tube afterward.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back