Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #3,316 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll swap out the cathode caps in my WA6 SEM to allow me to more safely use the 6FD7's I have. But... I expect I'll have difficulty finding BG's in the values I need.

One member, who's opinion I respect, has suggested I use Panasonic FM 220uf / 160v caps as an alternative to the BG's.

I've used Panasonic FM's in my X-CAN v3 mods and they were great! So, I'm inclined to use those.

But... what other alternatives would anyone suggest (those who have built or modified amps)????

I'm also not sure - I want to invest in very expensive Audio Note's, or similar.

Any ideas???

I'm not that knowledgeable on the topic of caps, but aren't you supposed to replace it with a 200v cap? I had it recommended to me before purchasing to have the cathode cap changed to a Panasonic TS-ED 470uf/200v. I had no idea what that meant then, but now on the topic of 6fd7s, I think it was so I could use them?

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #3,317 of 42,298
If you could find a (smaller than the current) BG at the correct voltage rating you could simply drop it in parallel to the current cap to total up to the desired capacitance.
That way you can keep your BG theme.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3,318 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could find a (smaller than the current) BG at the correct voltage rating you could simply drop it in parallel to the current cap to total up to the desired capacitance.
That way you can keep your BG theme.

Maybe that would work also. I'll check with Jack and see what he thinks. I would like to maintain the BG theme.

RE: the values, 200v might provide a larger margin for voltage swings... than the 160v... but, I'm told that shouldn't be necessary. In fact, I'm told by reliable sources that the 100v value might be OK for the 6FD7 (greater than the voltage draw), but that the voltage capacity of caps decline over time, and it might fall below the draw of the tube, so it would be better to have a greater margin. But... if I can find BG's with 200v values that would be fine.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #3,319 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club, stocklaz. You will have real good time with your Woo amp. BTW, tube rolling will make it sings much better than the stock one and even with some BG mod by yourself, I have some modded my ex-WA6SE with BGs and it really sounds goooooooood than only the stock component but don't get me wrong, the stock WA6SE also a very good amp indeed. Take a look this THREAD and you'll have some recommendation on tube rolling of the WA2.

Thanks for your welcoming . That tube rolling post I read before my amp reach my home. (After I paid I wait for 3 weeks for building and 1 week for shipping, so I got a LOT of time) Change the stock tube is tempting and I should do that in near future, but I would like to use those stock tube to help me run-in the Amp before I plug those expansive tubes for enjoyment.

I also in plan to DIY myself in the future to upgrade the WA2 by myself. However right now my DIY skill is Zero. I need to learn something more basic first, any suggestion
biggrin.gif
Online course of DIY audio equipment ?
biggrin.gif

Do you think your amp is sensitive to the change of power bar/cables and RCA cable ?

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #3,320 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_june /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not true.

- extra expenses of shipping internationally is already covered in extra shipping and handling fees

- currency conversions are a different breed. can't compare apples and oranges

All paypal's trying to do is not letting sellers charge for something that they are charging. They think the 3.5% discourage paypal use. In only one personal case has it actually happened where a seller didn't want to accept my paypal payment and told me to direct deposit the money into his bank account.

Like I said it's not a problem for me since I agree with the 3.5% fee anyways. I was just wondering for the buyers who know about paypal's tos, would be a problem or not. However since it only applies to international shipments I'm sure that number decreases to zero.

Not to derail the thread, but when I bought my Wa 22 here from a member he asked for 3.5% or e check, I sent him a e check and then found out it took 3 to 5 business days for the transaction to clear.. Ryan felt bad, (he didn't realize there was a wait either) so he canceled the e check and I sent the payment to him by a CC. backed payment. He paid the fees. If the add 3 1/2% for paypal fees, is against the rules why does head-fi not ban the practice?

When I bought my Meridian 808.2i (from Audiogon) I was asked to wire the money to the seller ((which I was uncomfortable with because there was none of the paypal safety features)) to avoid the paypal fees.

Why on the internet is this practice allowed to flourish if it is against the rules? This was a brick and mortar store and if I walked in off the street with my CC. he would of said thank you,, not don't forget the 3 1/2 %. or wire me the money.

By the way my amp.(Wa. 22) is on it's way to me I can't wait..

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3,322 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your welcoming . That tube rolling post I read before my amp reach my home. (After I paid I wait for 3 weeks for building and 1 week for shipping, so I got a LOT of time) Change the stock tube is tempting and I should do that in near future, but I would like to use those stock tube to help me run-in the Amp before I plug those expansive tubes for enjoyment.

I also in plan to DIY myself in the future to upgrade the WA2 by myself. However right now my DIY skill is Zero. I need to learn something more basic first, any suggestion
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Do you think your amp is sensitive to the change of power bar/cables and RCA cable ?

DON'T DO THE MOD or ask someone with such skill to do that if you're not familiar because it' running in high voltage that's mean VERY DANGER.

I have some cables rolling in the WA6SE, it do have some changes in sound wise but not that noticeable than the BG mod and tube rolling.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3,323 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I highly recommend you have someone with experience do any mods. I've seen some sloppy work in my day. Burned circuit boards with lifting foil, cold solder joints, wrong value parts, etc, etc. You paid a lot of money for this amp. Personally would be happy the way it is, but that's your choice..

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #3,324 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend you have someone with experience do any mods. I've seen some sloppy work in my day. Burned circuit boards with lifting foil, cold solder joints, wrong value parts, etc, etc. You paid a lot of money for this amp. Personally would be happy the way it is, but that's your choice..

I would certainly take atbglenn's advice. You wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good amp.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #3,326 of 42,298
hehe surely I will not touch my amp in this time or nearly future I think. I better start to learn DIY skill by making some cables or power bar first.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #3,327 of 42,298
Wow, it's exciting, just got reply from Jack my WA22 is on the way shipping to my home.
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to have it connected into my system. This is my 2nd amp from Woo Audio, the first I owned is a WA6SE.

But unfortunately Jack told me that the EML 5U4G is temporary out of stock
redface.gif
and it will be shipped separately in a few weeks later. I will burn it with the stock tubes and I have some replacement tubes on hand already for rolling. The GEC 6080, Rayteon6F8G and RCA 6F8G is now ready for the WA22.

And I will swap the stock caps and resistors with BGs for power filtering, V-caps the latest CuTF and RMG just like what I've done on my WA6SE. Let see how this monster sings after those up-garde.
bigsmile_face.gif
I will post some pics when it arrived.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #3,329 of 42,298
Thanks buddy, it's weird and interesting for someone welcome me back to the thread I started.
biggrin.gif
My heart is never left the Woo amp (I'm not shy to state that, I love their sound) even I sold my WA6SE a month or so before for the WA22.
tongue_smile.gif

I read a lot how good about the EML 5U4G that's why I insist go for it even Jack told me it's temporary out of stock and he offer the EML 274B as an option. Also, I've had bad experience with a failed Sophia Princess 274B but with luck have it replaced by Jack.

Oh, forgot to say when I sold my WA6SE. I'LL BE BACK.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back