Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 19, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #3,301 of 42,298
I have a payment question for you guys. Jack does this and so does 95% of users here: 3.5% paypal fee on all payments. Do you guys have any thoughts on this at all? I bring this up because in paypals TOS it specifically says it forbids people from asking extra for paypal fees. I used to charge others for the 3.5% on my ebay sells so I don't have a problem. However I fear that some one may call Jack out on this and may cause a problem.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #3,302 of 42,298
Jack never asked for extra payment? What is your point?

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #3,304 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Groundzero you'll be pleased to know these tubes nail piano reproduction, or at least I think so. I prefer the hammer strike of a piano note to have a bit of bite and these tubes provide that. Not unnaturally so like an edgy sounding reproduction would present, but just a bit of snap that conveys the energy of the hammer striking the string. Soft sounding transients and leading edges on piano completely ruin the listening experience for me. They are lacking just a tad bit of "body" to lower notes, but I'm blaming my headphones for that. A 274B rectifier would probably fix this too (someday.... someday.....). Hopefully you will get your chance to use this tube in your amp. Did your source for them pan out?

If my ears could salivate, they would be doing so after that description.
tongue.gif
Whether Jack decides to sell compatibility upgrades or not, I'm going to mod my amp for those tubes sometime soon.

As for the tubes, I responded back to the place asking how many of each they had and how much they are. That was early on Thursday of last week, and no response yet. I'll just call them Monday (today) and find out the details.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #3,305 of 42,298
I have asked for extra on my 3+ modified. Have gotten an updated price. What do you mean Jack asks for extra? Have exchanged several emails with him prior and through out the building of my amp? What extra payments are you speaking of?

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #3,306 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_june /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack asks for extra payments. So do many others. Paypal says it's against their TOS. Right or wrong? If paypal finds out will it be an issue, etc.

This is all I see on his Faq...

19. What payment method do you accept?
We accept PayPal, Money Order/Certified Check, or Personal Check which would take 3 to 5 business day to clear bank. If you'd like to send a personal check, it is more convenience and simpler to send a eCheck from PayPal. Our PayPal email address is shopping@wooaudio.com
Note that International payment with PayPal bears 3.5% fee in addition to the total amount.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #3,307 of 42,298
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc.../terms-outside

Quote:

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website.

Yes this is relating to Jack charging 3.5 to international buyers. I see personal buyer/sellers here charging 3.5 surcharge to all buyers - something I can understand as most people don't read fine print. However as a business owner I'd think they'd follow things to the letter of the agreement. Just wondering if anyone agreed or not. In my say so I'm going to pay the 3.5% to Jack cus I really don't care, I used to charge it in my ebay auctions. However for some people it may be an issue.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #3,309 of 42,298
Quote:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc.../terms-outside

Yes this is relating to Jack charging 3.5 to international buyers. I see personal buyer/sellers here charging 3.5 surcharge to all buyers - something I can understand as most people don't read fine print. However as a business owner I'd think they'd follow things to the letter of the agreement. Just wondering if anyone agreed or not. In my say so I'm going to pay the 3.5% to Jack cus I really don't care, I used to charge it in my ebay auctions. However for some people it may be an issue.

I had to pay the extra 3.5% with Paypal....I see it as some sort of insurance in case something happens.....I found it more practical than sending a bank draft, that could be lost in mail, or any other issue....

Of course, like anyone else I wish I could have avoid these fees, but on the other hand I really wanted this amp.....

Denys

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #3,310 of 42,298
Hi all, please welcome me to join this group.

As somebodies already noticed, that I got my WA2 last week with a little bit problem...... anyway now I have a very standard black WA2 and I like it VERY much. It give life back to my Mpro and I am so busy to use Mpro to sing back all of my songs collection once.

Right now my WA2 is fully standard, not yet to change any tubes, using a basic rca cable with a computer use power cable. It already sound great. Good job !!

Just to know from my friend that Woo's actually like me, a Chinese??

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3,311 of 42,298
Welcome to the club, stocklaz. You will have real good time with your Woo amp. BTW, tube rolling will make it sings much better than the stock one and even with some BG mod by yourself, I have some modded my ex-WA6SE with BGs and it really sounds goooooooood than only the stock component but don't get me wrong, the stock WA6SE also a very good amp indeed. Take a look this THREAD and you'll have some recommendation on tube rolling of the WA2.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #3,312 of 42,298
Quote:

It is just an additional processing fee to cover the extra expense of shipping internationally. Many businesses do this. Paypal themselves charge extra fees for certain transactions and things like currency conversions, Jack is likely just covering these expenses. I don't see what the problem is, he is disclosing the fact that he charges the fee.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #3,313 of 42,298
I think I'll swap out the cathode caps in my WA6 SEM to allow me to more safely use the 6FD7's I have. But... I expect I'll have difficulty finding BG's in the values I need.

One member, who's opinion I respect, has suggested I use Panasonic FM 220uf / 160v caps as an alternative to the BG's.

I've used Panasonic FM's in my X-CAN v3 mods and they were great! So, I'm inclined to use those.

But... what other alternatives would anyone suggest (those who have built or modified amps)????

I'm also not sure - I want to invest in very expensive Audio Note's, or similar.

Any ideas???

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #3,314 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is just an additional processing fee to cover the extra expense of shipping internationally. Many businesses do this. Paypal themselves charge extra fees for certain transactions and things like currency conversions, Jack is likely just covering these expenses. I don't see what the problem is, he is disclosing the fact that he charges the fee.

That's not true.

- extra expenses of shipping internationally is already covered in extra shipping and handling fees

- currency conversions are a different breed. can't compare apples and oranges

All paypal's trying to do is not letting sellers charge for something that they are charging. They think the 3.5% discourage paypal use. In only one personal case has it actually happened where a seller didn't want to accept my paypal payment and told me to direct deposit the money into his bank account.

Like I said it's not a problem for me since I agree with the 3.5% fee anyways. I was just wondering for the buyers who know about paypal's tos, would be a problem or not. However since it only applies to international shipments I'm sure that number decreases to zero.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3,315 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One member, who's opinion I respect, has suggested I use Panasonic FM 220uf / 160v caps as an alternative to the BG's.

I have had the Panasonic FM/FC series recommended to me by amp builders before too, as a good price/performance ratio cap. I'm not savvy enough to tell if they'd get close to BG performance, but they seem to be regarded as good caps nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back