Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 14, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #2,326 of 42,298
Question for the more experienced and the techies out there:

I use an SB3 with a DacMagic and I want to be able to use it for both the headphone amp and also another amp (feeding speakers) in the same room without using an RCA selector box or haveing to unplug the cables each time I want to listen to either setup.

So:is there any reason why I cant use one of these cables from the output of the Dacmagic into the WA6 amp?

DJ Equipment | 2 XLR Female - 2 RCA Phono Cable - 2 Metres only £9.00 from DJ Store

the Dacmagic specifications state:

Output level (unbalanced): 2.1V rms
Output level (balanced): 4.2V rms (2.1V per phase)

Thanks for any advice and help

P.S. love the WA6 amp with my Sofia Princess and pdps upgrade
atsmile.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #2,327 of 42,298
I thought I'd chime in a bit after being away from talking about it.

My WA2 has at least 150hrs on it now, probably closer to 300hrs. I've also rolled the stock tubes with the Woo recommended upgrade.

WOW. Tube rolling makes a big difference. First thing I noticed, was the lushness that was apparent with the stock tubes is gone. This is a good thing, whilst I enjoyed it at first, going back to it now, it just sounds like mid range smearing and is much more congested.

With the new tubes I think I am hearing what tube lovers refer to as "liquid" sound. I wouldnt say its "smooth" just effortless, the sound comes to easy. Sound stage and seperation/air has improved with the change in tubes.

I'm more and more hearing the limitations of poorly recorded/compressed music. Its insteresting to hear how different the quality of recordings is over different songs in the same album.

Also, I decided, that, ms-pros, don't play that nice with the amp. They have better detail retrieval than the dt880, but, the sound lacks balance, if the grado is even more pronounced in its colouration, than "......." The midrange bump makes sound too intense, some songs sound amazing, most do not. They spend a lot of times in their box these days.

I have some hd650's on their way. Looking forward to them.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2,328 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for the more experienced and the techies out there:

I use an SB3 with a DacMagic and I want to be able to use it for both the headphone amp and also another amp (feeding speakers) in the same room without using an RCA selector box or haveing to unplug the cables each time I want to listen to either setup.

So:is there any reason why I cant use one of these cables from the output of the Dacmagic into the WA6 amp?

DJ Equipment | 2 XLR Female - 2 RCA Phono Cable - 2 Metres only £9.00 from DJ Store

the Dacmagic specifications state:

Output level (unbalanced): 2.1V rms
Output level (balanced): 4.2V rms (2.1V per phase)

Thanks for any advice and help

P.S. love the WA6 amp with my Sofia Princess and pdps upgrade
atsmile.gif

I asked this question of Cambridge directly for both my DacMagic and my 840C cd-player and their answer on both counts was that each output is individually buffered and there will be no sound quality degradation by using both sets of outputs. I own a pair of BAT XLR-RCA adapters and have used them on both Cambridge pieces with great effect. Hope this helps...cheers!

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #2,329 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe this question is directed at me. I'm sure it was a mistake but I actually have WA6 w/ PDPS upgrade, not WA3+. I actually really like the Raptor and think that it has more clarity and detail, and more punchier than the woo. However, WA6 is still very good amp for its price. Smooth and relaxed but still has plenty of dynamics and detail. Especially with Princess, they sound really good compared to the Raptor. I haven't done direct comparison yet so I wouldn't (or can't) go into detail. I will decide pretty soon which one to keep though. However, if they are in the same price range, I would definitely pick the Raptor over WA6.

I agree Woo amps are polite and lush compare to Raptor, but they are tonally superior, and give music more depth. I did wish my WA22 have more dynamic. Hence they are for recap. Sophia princess 274B did gave the amp alot of extra punch, but too sad Pricess is not compatible with 6F8G tubes.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #2,330 of 42,298
So has anyone here any experience of RCA 6FD7 tubes in the WA6 ? They're not "fat bottles" as the GE or Sylvania's. They look just like the RCA 6DE7 including the shield between the two triode sections.

cheers!

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2,331 of 42,298
I have some hd650's on their way. Looking forward to them.[/QUOTE]

You will love the WA2 with these phones. Good for you for getting the upgraded tubes...

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #2,332 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So has anyone here any experience of RCA 6FD7 tubes in the WA6 ? They're not "fat bottles" as the GE or Sylvania's. They look just like the RCA 6DE7 including the shield between the two triode sections.

cheers!

I had these tubes with my WA6SE maxxed. I guess I'm not a great authority on tubes...I feel I heard subtle differences but I didn't find a "bad" combination. What I can say is that after trying the fat bottles, the 6FD7, etc I kept going back to my NOS RCA 6DE7. The always sounded very balanced to me and seemed to have a magic synergy with the AH-D7000 'phones I was using. I had several sets of these tubes including the very first "Kuhl-Tube" pair that had been cryo'd. I never heard a big difference between the cryo'd pair and the others I had on hand. These tubes also seemed to be consistently quiet and very reliable.

My two cents!

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2,333 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree Woo amps are polite and lush compare to Raptor, but they are tonally superior, and give music more depth. I did wish my WA22 have more dynamic. Hence they are for recap. Sophia princess 274B did gave the amp alot of extra punch, but too sad Pricess is not compatible with 6F8G tubes.

Can you use the EML 5U4G-Mesh?

The Princess is really a great match with our Woo's. And imo the best bang for your buck.

However the Princess 274B mesh is very sensitive to vibration. And not just from the Woo, anything in your rack and or anything that is connected to your Woo via cords or plugs.

Once you eliminate the vibration you will be amazed at how well your Woo sounds. On top of the improvement list is the bass, soundstage, highs, mids, smoothness of the audio and in that order.

ss

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #2,334 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had these tubes with my WA6SE maxxed. I guess I'm not a great authority on tubes...I feel I heard subtle differences but I didn't find a "bad" combination. What I can say is that after trying the fat bottles, the 6FD7, etc I kept going back to my NOS RCA 6DE7. The always sounded very balanced to me and seemed to have a magic synergy with the AH-D7000 'phones I was using. I had several sets of these tubes including the very first "Kuhl-Tube" pair that had been cryo'd. I never heard a big difference between the cryo'd pair and the others I had on hand. These tubes also seemed to be consistently quiet and very reliable.

My two cents!

What I just said in the above post will give you a better bass impact with the HD-800 than the AH-D7000. Plus now you are getting a much bigger out of head soundstage using the HD-800 over the AH-D7000.
I have both the AH-D7000 and the HD-800s, I also have a WA6SE maxxed.

I use the RCA big bottle silver top tipped circa 1963 with the Princess 274B mesh.

ss

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #2,335 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you use the EML 5U4G-Mesh?

The Princess is really a great match with our Woo's. And imo the best bang for your buck.

However the Princess 274B mesh is very sensitive to vibration. And not just from the Woo, anything in your rack and or anything that is connected to your Woo via cords or plugs.

Once you eliminate the vibration you will be amazed at how well your Woo sounds. On top of the improvement list is the bass, soundstage, highs, mids, smoothness of the audio and in that order.

ss

I can USE Sophia with 6F8G on WA22, but the grid wire attract noise and loud hum from Sophia, that drives me crazy within 2 min. No noise, no hum with other tube than 6F8G thought. This also not a problem with any EML tube. I never figured this one out......

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #2,336 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can USE Sophia with 6F8G on WA22, but the grid wire attract noise and loud hum from Sophia, that drives me crazy within 2 min. No noise, no hum with other tube than 6F8G thought. This also not a problem with any EML tube. I never figured this one out......

Was it you that found a EML 5U4G-Solid Plate. I haven't tried a EML 5U4G-Mesh yet but my EML 274-Solid Plate is my favorite with my WA6SE max and HD-800.

ss

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #2,337 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My two cents!

Thanks for your impressions indydieselnut ! Indeed I own a pair of RCA 6DE7 and like them very much too, but I love the added power you get with the 6FD7's.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2,338 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it you that found a EML 5U4G-Solid Plate. I haven't tried a EML 5U4G-Mesh yet but my EML 274-Solid Plate is my favorite with my WA6SE max and HD-800.

ss

EML 5U4G soild plate is here. I ordered from germanny. I will test it out as soon as I get my amp back.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2,339 of 42,298
Ah, a wonderful sight to behold this Monday morning. It's patiently waiting to be fired up!

P1000723.jpg

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #2,340 of 42,298
guys which do you think is better for hd650,woo6+PDPS+PRINCESS sofia or woo3?i heard that the synergy between the hd650 and woo3 is amazing but i want to know if the woo6 will be better or shall i say in a different league?thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back