Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #2,146 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is better than before. But I still need to turn the volume knob to the max on WA6. I wonder if it would have negative effect on the amp in a long-run? Nonetheless, the amp is very smooth... I like
normal_smile .gif

there should be no ill-effects in the long run, when it comes to the amplifier. remember the amp is outputting the same amount of power at all times, and the gain is fixed - all you are doing is inputting a stronger signal

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #2,147 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there should be no ill-effects in the long run, when it comes to the amplifier. remember the amp is outputting the same amount of power at all times, and the gain is fixed - all you are doing is inputting a stronger signal

Thanks for the clarification!

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #2,148 of 42,298
I've been using a heed canamp for the last 3 years for late night, not to bother anyone listening. However, I have a hankering for a different sound although the heed is fine. Question is, in another thread I was advised that the best bang for my buck would be the Woo WA6 with the Sophia Electric™ 274B upgrade. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what the sound difference in the heed and Woo WA6 will be with that one upgrade? what is it going to sound like for me? guesses are ok to or informed estimates, I am ready to do this, and there are soooooo many amp manufacturers out there.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2,149 of 42,298
HeadphoneAddict.

Do you happen to know the output power of W6SE vs. WA22?

I read W6SE is 3 times stronger than W6, but not sure where WA22 falls into..

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #2,150 of 42,298
I was completely wrong about the Woo Audio 5 LE sound. Even on the Woo website stated in the reviews that the W5le was a little lacking in bass. I have 600 hrs burn in and have tested some groups of headphones trying to find bass. I would have been happy to just have the 5le the way it was for the rest of my life. The mids were just that magic.

Then the unthinkable happened!
First was the addition of Denon AH-D 7000 headphones. These were forward and bass heavy in sound. Wow, now I have bass but maybe a little too much. The lower mids were muddy and there was a little detail both in the super highs and lows. I have tried a couple of sets of interconnects and thought that they made a small change but nothing major.

Then..........................Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnects
Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord
Electra Glide Audio Epiphany X2 Power Cord

My rig has 55% better performance. This is really hard for me to believe as I tried a a couple of interconnects but I was not using the right ones. The pure silver was just too bright. So for the last year I have been stupidly using Monster entry level interconnects as I thought that no cable could change things. Now I have everything, the cables did a complete makeover of the sound. There is detail in the highs, there is detail in the lows. The bass not only has just tone but tone and character, the bass has dynamic texture. What I did not come to realize was my rig lacked speed also. I had heard speed before but it was always in the type of rig that had no bass. I for some reason placed that kind of speed in non bass performance rigs.

The rig now has the wicked combo of speed and bass. Head stage and and a total phase correction of sound. The cds which I always play with a reserve due to loving vinyl even sound great. Ok so even if the cds sound great I guess I have to climb down off my anti-CD soapbox! Sh@# I guess what I'm saying is my life has changed audio wise. The thing that changed it was the last thing I thought it would be? How is that? You read everything test and play stuff for a years?
The truth is that you don"t know what you don't know. That is what all of us really don't know. Of course!

I will be at the OC meet on the 30th, hopefully. If anyone wants to here this set-up.

Equipment list......
Sony MDR-CD-870 Headphones
AKG k701 Headphones X2
Denon AH-D 7000 Headphones
Headphone Amp Inventory
Woo Audio 3 Headphone Amplifier
Woo Audio 5 LE Headphone Amplifier
Nuforce Icon USB Desktop Amplifier And Headphone Amplifier
Source Inventory
VPI Scout Turntable
Clearaudio Aurum Classic Phonograph Cartridge
Stanton 310 Phono Preamplifier
PS•1 Phono Preamplifier and HC•1b Dual Mono Power Supply by Monolithic
Rega Planet CD Player

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2,152 of 42,298
OMG!

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #2,153 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict.

Do you happen to know the output power of W6SE vs. WA22?

I read W6SE is 3 times stronger than W6, but not sure where WA22 falls into..

I believe I read somewhere that the WA22 put out 2 watts into 32 ohms when using the higher power Sylvania 7236 tubes. I read somewhere that the WA6 is about 380 mw @ 32 ohm, so that would make WA6SE is about 1.2 watts.

The WA6 gets very loud with 32 ohm Grado and 300 ohm HD600/800. I can play 600 ohm AKG K240M at moderately loud levels but not nearly as loud as HD600/800. But, the WA6 is slightly underpowered with HE-5 but very useable and good sounding, it just doesn't have a lot of headroom to go louder (I think 25-32 ohm and 87 dB/mw). It's also fairly well underpowered with K1000 (I think 120 ohm 88 dB/mw). WA22 had more power than you could ever use for Grado and HD600/800, and just enough for HE-5 and K1000 at RMAF in October. I have very little experience with WA6SE.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2,154 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice Woo amps are very sensitive to cable change.

Agreed. Even when changing from my old Monster i200 rca-rca to my new Simple Physics rca-rca (both aren't high end at all, obviously), I've noticed a significant change in the SQ (monster one is thicker/bit congested vs SP one more bright/clear/open). And I've never really been a cable believer in the past either. Haven't really noticed this before with any of my other amps as much.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #2,155 of 42,298
I'm about to order a WA6 and I'm just wondering how I should ask Jack to orient the rectifier tube socket? I'd like for the EML 5U4G to be oriented in such a fashion that its best looking part faces the front. I'm going to assume I should ask him to orient the socket so that the EML logo on the tube faces the front?

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #2,156 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to order a WA6 and I'm just wondering how I should ask Jack to orient the rectifier tube socket? I'd like for the EML 5U4G to be oriented in such a fashion that its best looking part faces the front. I'm going to assume I should ask him to orient the socket so that the EML logo on the tube faces the front?

That's is very good call if this not going to affect signal path. WA22's sockets all piont one direction, which make front (best looking part) of tubes all over the place.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #2,157 of 42,298
4209902041_3dec105744.jpg

biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2,158 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I read somewhere that the WA22 put out 2 watts into 32 ohms when using the higher power Sylvania 7236 tubes. I read somewhere that the WA6 is about 380 mw @ 32 ohm, so that would make WA6SE is about 1.2 watts.

The WA6 gets very loud with 32 ohm Grado and 300 ohm HD600/800. I can play 600 ohm AKG K240M at moderately loud levels but not nearly as loud as HD600/800. But, the WA6 is slightly underpowered with HE-5 but very useable and good sounding, it just doesn't have a lot of headroom to go louder (I think 25-32 ohm and 87 dB/mw). It's also fairly well underpowered with K1000 (I think 120 ohm 88 dB/mw). WA22 had more power than you could ever use for Grado and HD600/800, and just enough for HE-5 and K1000 at RMAF in October. I have very little experience with WA6SE.

Thx for the info. HE-5 is on my radar, so it's good to know that WA22 can drive it well.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #2,160 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just of out curiosity, What kind of sources do you guys pair your Woos with?

ca.jpg

ClearAudio Performance with a Maestro catridge and a Nova Phenomena II Phono Stage.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back