Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #1,891 of 42,298
They made it so that the PDPS was easily incorporated and didn't require any modifications. It became part of the structure. When I originally designed the PDPS the 6 was not set up for it so they had to use a plate to hold the resistors and cap but with a new run of the chassis everything could become an integral part.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,892 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They made it so that the PDPS was easily incorporated and didn't require any modifications. It became part of the structure. When I originally designed the PDPS the 6 was not set up for it so they had to use a plate to hold the resistors and cap but with a new run of the chassis everything could become an integral part.

So instead of looking like this, the extra cap and resistor are mounted on the chassis. I'm assuming Jack just modified the layout so they would fit.

DSC_1542.jpg

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #1,894 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I just got a response from Jack that Woo Audio DAC is pushed back due to current orders stacking up.

Woo Audio DAC? Is that a new product? Don't see one on their website...

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,895 of 42,298
I just received my WA6 back from Jack after sending it in to have the PDPS added. Total cost minus shipping was $130.00, but mine has the (2) V-Caps and (4+4) Blackgates.

I can't be sure, but my PDPS looks a bit different from other folks' (might add a pic soon). The two Dale resistors are soldered together on a plate then joined to a smaller looking cap that sits just behind the rectifier (smaller than what I've seen in other models: not sure offhand of the cap value). It doesn't look like it's a Blackgate either. Maybe the same level as the stock Rubycon he uses? I'm a bit befuddled, but perhaps it doesn't matter whether Blackgates are used for this particular mod? I'd sort of assumed he'd use a B'gate, but maybe he's not doing that anymore regardless of what's already in the amp. Sounds amazing regardless. Still, anyone have any ideas on why/how the implementation has changed? I'll ask him of course, just wondering if anyone has any theories in the interim : )

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #1,896 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Moondog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo Audio DAC? Is that a new product? Don't see one on their website...

Working prototype.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,897 of 42,298
Thanks for all the info. on upgrades, guys! I am very happy to have heard the stock amp and now regret to report that my roommate is getting rid of it! That was, like, a week of hi-fi, and now he's through. (Had a slight argument about mental burn-in with him last night. Not having any of that!) Regardless, when I have the $$$, I'm all in for a WA6 of my own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #1,898 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by calloyaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my WA6 back from Jack after sending it in to have the PDPS added. Total cost minus shipping was $130.00, but mine has the (2) V-Caps and (4+4) Blackgates.

I can't be sure, but my PDPS looks a bit different from other folks' (might add a pic soon). The two Dale resistors are soldered together on a plate then joined to a smaller looking cap that sits just behind the rectifier (smaller than what I've seen in other models: not sure offhand of the cap value). It doesn't look like it's a Blackgate either. Maybe the same level as the stock Rubycon he uses? I'm a bit befuddled, but perhaps it doesn't matter whether Blackgates are used for this particular mod? I'd sort of assumed he'd use a B'gate, but maybe he's not doing that anymore regardless of what's already in the amp. Sounds amazing regardless. Still, anyone have any ideas on why/how the implementation has changed? I'll ask him of course, just wondering if anyone has any theories in the interim : )

I would need an image. The first cap after the rectifier should be around 12uf or 15uf or so and whatever they used should be fine.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,899 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So instead of looking like this, the extra cap and resistor are mounted on the chassis. I'm assuming Jack just modified the layout so they would fit.

DSC_1542.jpg

A Woo Audio amp from any angle is beau-ti-ful!

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #1,900 of 42,298
Hello!

I'm planning to order WooAudio 2 but I'm wondering should I order "maxed out" version. So I'm not yet real WA owner - just getting there
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to get some opinions on the upgrades...

- Blackgate capacitor-upgrade? What's your experience?

- Attenuator upgrade and teflon mounting for tubes. Increased usability is mainly the reason I guess?

- The main thing - tube upgrades. Have you compared default-tubes with upgraded ones? How's the difference?

WooAudio 2 would be driving my HD-650 headphones and input signal is coming from iMac via cambridge audio's dacmagic DAC (optical cable in order to isolate computer electrically from audio stuff).

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #1,901 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by amjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

I'm planning to order WooAudio 2 but I'm wondering should I order "maxed out" version. So I'm not yet real WA owner - just getting there
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to get some opinions on the upgrades...

- Blackgate capacitor-upgrade? What's your experience?

- Attenuator upgrade and teflon mounting for tubes. Increased usability is mainly the reason I guess?

- The main thing - tube upgrades. Have you compared default-tubes with upgraded ones? How's the difference?

WooAudio 2 would be driving my HD-650 headphones and input signal is coming from iMac via cambridge audio's dacmagic DAC (optical cable in order to isolate computer electrically from audio stuff).

Welcome amjr...2nd post and already swimming with the big (tube) boys...
beerchug.gif

I have a maxxed WA2 (no stepped attenuator). I can't say what the difference would be versus stock because I never heard the complete stock one.

In reference to the tubes. Yes, I have compared the stock ones with upgraded ones. I ran the stock for a while and the sound is great. I have a couple of other amps that use the same power tubes, so have rolled plenty of those. I have about 4 pairs of the 6DJ8/6922 that I also roll and have stuck with Tungsram EZ80 rectifier.
I also have it running with a DacMagic...Great combo. You will be very satisfied...Solid and beautiful amp, 4 inputs, 1 pre-out, great service from Jack and family...Drives any 'phone I throw at it with authority...Total package...

Welcome to the club....
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,902 of 42,298
I just bought sampson_smith's WA6! I'm psyched!

Does anyone know if the Woo warranty is transferable?

Also, is it worth shipping it back to Jack for the PDPS upgrade? (I'll be using it with a pair of HF-2s)

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,904 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A HiFi Tuning is in my Maxxed WA6SE. Worth the penny spent.

I have Hi-Fi Tuning Silver stars coming for my amp and CDP
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #1,905 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought sampson_smith's WA6! I'm psyched!

Does anyone know if the Woo warranty is transferable?

Also, is it worth shipping it back to Jack for the PDPS upgrade? (I'll be using it with a pair of HF-2s)

From my memory, the warranty is transferable. I asked that question couple years ago so it may change. A simple email to Jack will get you the answer.

As far as PDPS upgrade, it is worth every pennies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back