Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,876 of 42,298
Hi again, finally got my WA6 after it shipped on the 27th December. Its been a long wait!

I ordered the upgraded tubes at the same time from Jack. I can obviously tell which is the Sophia, but the other ones I'm clueless about.

On the site it says "1 matched pair 6DE7". I've recieved 2 Raytheon tubes in boxes with 6DE7 printed on them but the 6 had had a B written over it in red biro. These are fairly small tubes. The other 2 were in bubble wrap and are 'used' (read vintage) and have 6FD7 USA on them.

Can anyone shed any light onto which is what and which is best
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #1,878 of 42,298
BTW, I just got a response from Jack that Woo Audio DAC is pushed back due to current orders stacking up.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #1,880 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been told that mine will be shipped this week so I hope it is

Please

When were you told?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #1,881 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannagE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I can answer my own question now
redface.gif

Wow these 6FD7 NOS tubes are much nicer, happy!

you took the only advice anyone can give... listen to them.. :)

enjoy...

Cheers,

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,882 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is really amazing mate, I have been thinking of getting one.

Any upgrades on the one you got.

Any impressions on comparison with your gilmore lite.

Thanks, man! You're not Jack Wu, but I'll take your advice, anyway!
wink.gif
I have no upgrades yet, but very much want the PDPS and anything else that is relatively affordable. Does anyone know what it now costs to have the PDPS done, now that it is standard and essentially half the price with new rigs? I hope Wu still does it... I sent an email 3-4 days ago, but have not heard back. Any other factory mod's that you guys can recommend for me?
biggrin.gif

I love the WA6 and the GLite + DPS nearly equally. The GLite is not my own but on loan for an extended period, I hope.
wink.gif
I use the 6FD7's ("jumbo" with side-getter; no brand to be seen) with a 5U4G "Fleetwood" transformer tube (which is a bit larger than the stock Sovtek; sans mesh). I was hoping to have a warmer tube one and a brighter, more revealing SS amp setup. I figure that will allow the greatest amount of headphone combinations as I eventually can afford and accumulate them. I AM partial to the WA6's looks and build. Freakin' heavy. Really... can't stop staring at it!

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #1,883 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does. Jack Wu should be able to provide them for you, or if he's out of stock try vacuumtubes.net (Takezo recommended this seller to me, and they're where I got my set of Sylvania 6FD7s from).

The 6FD7's were from Woo Audio, apparently, so I guess that I can assume that they are Sylvanias. The side-getter is a little dark, but still reflective. I have heard that as the getter contacts air, it goes from silvery to dark. This is with the barium variety, but there are others. I assume that the degree of "silveriness" varies, so it's hard to tell if I should be worried. The amp sound great, as best I can tell.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,884 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, man! You're not Jack Wu, but I'll take your advice, anyway!
wink.gif
I have no upgrades yet, but very much want the PDPS and anything else that is relatively affordable. Does anyone know what it now costs to have the PDPS done, now that it is standard and essentially half the price with new rigs? I hope Wu still does it... I sent an email 3-4 days ago, but have not heard back. Any other factory mod's that you guys can recommend for me?
biggrin.gif

I love the WA6 and the GLite + DPS nearly equally. The GLite is not my own but on loan for an extended period, I hope.
wink.gif
I use the 6FD7's ("jumbo" with side-getter; no brand to be seen) with a 5U4G "Fleetwood" transformer tube (which is a bit larger than the stock Sovtek; sans mesh). I was hoping to have a warmer tube one and a brighter, more revealing SS amp setup. I figure that will allow the greatest amount of headphone combinations as I eventually can afford and accumulate them. I AM partial to the WA6's looks and build. Freakin' heavy. Really... can't stop staring at it!

I think if your WA6 is not maxed it will be about $65 + shipping to send it in for the mod. Mine was the first one he did for a WA6 in May 2008, and was $230 shipped because mine was maxed and it uses Blackgates and Vcaps - it was still something new they had just started doing, and after a while the prices started to drop on the mod.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #1,885 of 42,298
Thanks, Larry! I guess that means I should be grateful that the mod will cost me less than $100. Sounds good. I hope it makes a significant difference.

I keep reading about maxed-out WA6's in the FS forums, where, apart from the obv. Sophia tube, there is talk of upgraded "feet" and other odd tweaks. Is there anything else that's practical that I should likely invest in? Sorry for all the Q's. I know my fair shake about cans, but tube amps are new to me. I had a LD 1+ for a while, but never really researched the physics, mechanics and concepts about ways to improve it (apart from tube rolling).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #1,886 of 42,298
The maxed had upgraded caps that slightly improve the transparency of the amp, but the PDPS and Sophia are far more important to do. I have the std volume control and it works great with IEM and full size cans, so I am not sorry that I don't have the DACT stepped attenuator. I did do the upgraded feet later, but can't say it affects the sound since I didn't have microphonics issues before.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #1,887 of 42,298
I don't think feet are so important with a headphone amp. You don't have the vibrations and sound waves to contend with like in a speaker system.

The PDPS modification for the 6 is the most important change you can make and takes the amp, IMO, to a different level and for the low cost I don't know why it isn't stock. I use the GoldPoint attenuator, that is better than the DACT but again, the PDPS is the most noticeable upgrade and by far, the most bang for the almighty buck.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #1,888 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think feet are so important with a headphone amp. You don't have the vibrations and sound waves to contend with like in a speaker system.

The PDPS modification for the 6 is the most important change you can make and takes the amp, IMO, to a different level and for the low cost I don't know why it isn't stock. I use the GoldPoint attenuator, that is better than the DACT but again, the PDPS is the most noticeable upgrade and by far, the most bang for the almighty buck.

The PDPS is now standard. The price went up from $585 to $620. Only $35 more for a significant improvement in SQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #1,889 of 42,298
I am glad to know that. I know they were waiting to change over the chassis after they ran out of the pre PDPS. As it should be then with the PDPS. :^) Everyone can join in the joy.

I have to admit there is some satisfaction with that.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #1,890 of 42,298
John, what changes did they make to the chassis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back