Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #1,773 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far on WA22 5Z3, and GZ34 sound the best. Still I have lost of imapct issue with EML. I might end up sell it.

What happened? How did a tube so highly recommened become a dud? That's too bad. I guess beauty is not everything. Did it age quickly and loose it's "punch?" I just bought a NOS CV1863 for $16 from UK. It's a Military tube. I hope I got a diamond in the ruff.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #1,774 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep me in mind if you consider trading it with a Sophia Princess 274B Mesh...

I am ordering it now! I will have my own shoot out between those two tubes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happened? How did a tube so highly recommened become a dud? That's too bad. I guess beauty is not everything. Did it age quickly and loose it's "punch?" I just bought a NOS CV1863 for $16 from UK. It's a Military tube. I hope I got a diamond in the ruff.

When pair with HD800, EML's lack of impact did more harm than help. I had EML on my WA22 at Seattle mini meet. Everyone think my amp is too soft, too lush, and can't rock out. EML still the king of soundstage, high, 3D image, and sense of space, BUT miss the low bass note is kind make music less enjoyble.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #1,775 of 42,298
If EML is king of soundstage, then what needs to be done with the WA22 to make it the king of amps when paired with HD800. Maybe the HD800s are the culprit and not the EML. Are the HD800s a bit anemic when it come to bass?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #1,776 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If EML is king of soundstage, then what needs to be done with the WA22 to make it the king of amps when paired with HD800. Maybe the HD800s are the culprit and not the EML. Are the HD800s a bit anemic when it come to bass?

Sondstage only can stretch so far, then become fake.

It depends on amp used. Strange, when HD800 hooked up with Meridian G08 and Phonitor, HD800 have full body sound with kick ass bass.
confused_face.gif
At same time Phonitor have less soul than WA22.

I made my mind to let Modwright to mod the PC board where all the caps are.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #1,777 of 42,298
Yesterday I got in my 6CG7/6FQ7 to 6SN7 adapter, and fired up the WA22 with Mazda 6CG7 (w/ Sophia 274b and 6AS7). The adapters feel very well made.

The 6CG7 reduced just a hint of midbass bloat that was hard to tell before but obvious now. I can perceive a bit more detail and layering when multiple instruments play over each other, rock music has a bit more of an "airy" quality to it that I like. With both CV181v and 6SN7 I felt the WA22 was a little too smooth, I could go and compare it to the Benchmark DAC1 and definitely could pick out the instruments better and things felt more precise on the DAC1. Hate to say it but I honestly couldn't tell any difference between stock 6SN7 and CV181z, pretty much what everybody is saying.

With my current tube set the WA22 is able to match the DAC1 in analytical quality while adding a bit of life into the music. I try not to get too crazy with adjectives at this part
happy_face1.gif

Wish I could try out the GZ34 but I don't have the guts to try out after dropping it and seeing a bit of floating glass inside the tube. I am bidding on a couple other GZ34 right now though. Comparing 5Z4G and 274b, I get slightly more 'impact' with the 5Z4G, but it does add to the 'smoothness' of the music and I feel some detail is lost. 274b makes the sound a bit more delicate but still has tight bass and dynamics. Listening to Aphex Twin- Windowlicker at high volume confirms this
smily_headphones1.gif
Textural sounds like fingers dragging across drumskin are rendered more realistically with 274b... there are lots of sounds I listen for in Tom Waits recordings (grainy as they are...)

Did my listening with balanced HD-650 and SE ATH-M50. With the HD-650 the WA22 has a 100% silent background (whether SE or balanced cable is used), but with ATH-M50 (and WA22 set to low imp), I can perceive a very feint background hiss (the hiss gets much louder if you try to use ATH-M50 on the high impedance setting). Even with the M50 the hiss is pretty low.

Not sure if the M50 are more resolving or if the WA22 just performs better for high impedance cans.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #1,778 of 42,298
Ictus.

Are you comparing the CV181 with mazda or stock? How does Mazda compare to stock?

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #1,779 of 42,298
Well over the last week or so I swapped out the CV181 and 6SN7 several times and really couldn't pick out a difference. I tried but in the end just left in the 6SN7. If there is a difference it's too subtle for me to notice.

Then I put in the Mazda 6CG7 and feel it opened up the sound a bit, a little more analytical and reduced a bit of midbass bloat.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #1,780 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by IctusBrucks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well over the last week or so I swapped out the CV181 and 6SN7 several times and really couldn't pick out a difference. I tried but in the end just left in the 6SN7. If there is a difference it's too subtle for me to notice.

Then I put in the Mazda 6CG7 and feel it opened up the sound a bit, a little more analytical and reduced a bit of midbass bloat.

Thanks for reply.

I will find out soon enough (sigh. why is the time moving so damn slow these days), and report my finding also.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #1,781 of 42,298
Hey guys i think i have a problem (maybe)

I listened yesterday to my WA6 SE for abut 1-2 hours and i touched the Sophia Princess, it was sooo HOT! i thought for one moment that it will explode, if i remember correctly previously i can touch her
smily_headphones1.gif
(The princess) for more than 3-4 seconds and it was not that hot, The drive tubes RCA 6FD7 are also very very HOT, much like the Sophia, how is your Woo acting? The same, or it is a problem of my amplifier? I really don't want to sent it back to Jack ...

PS: some time ago i remember touching the drive tubes and the rectifier but it was not that hot, i hope everything is fine.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #1,782 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys i think i have a problem (maybe)

I listened yesterday to my WA6 SE for abut 1-2 hours and i touched the Sophia Princess, it was sooo HOT! i thought for one moment that it will explode, if i remember correctly previously i can touch her
smily_headphones1.gif
(The princess) for more than 3-4 seconds and it was not that hot, The drive tubes RCA 6FD7 are also very very HOT, much like the Sophia, how is your Woo acting? The same, or it is a problem of my amplifier? I really don't want to sent it back to Jack ...

PS: some time ago i remember touching the drive tubes and the rectifier but it was not that hot, i hope everything is fine.

All the tubes on my WA22 are very very hot. I touch them by accident ONLY. If you alway handle your tubes with bare hand, you will leave oil on the glass which may cause tube run hotter. Wipe your tubes clean, and handle them with cotton gloves or your CLEAN socks.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #1,784 of 42,298
I also notice Woo amps do not like to be ran more than 8 hours, they need break in between, like about 2 hours. Then they are good for another 8 hours. Otherwise transformers get realy hot. But also they cool down very fast too.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #1,785 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also notice Woo amps do not like to be ran more than 8 hours, they need break in between, like about 2 hours. Then they are good for another 8 hours. Otherwise transformers get realy hot. But also they cool down very fast too.

The Woo 6's transformers do not get hot, barely lukewarm even after 12 hours. Although the tubes get very hot which is totally normal..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back