Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #1,591 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WES?

NO! Should be Woo WES Maxxed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon10.gif

Those V-Caps look terrible but sound wonderful.
beerchug.gif
Great pic El_Doug, thanks.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #1,592 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My W6SE should be here tomorrow. Took 15 days to get into the UK!
Paid customs charges this morning
frown.gif
but expected.
Delivery booked for tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations! I wonder how many Woos have made it across the Atlantic. It would be interesting to see the demographics of Jack's global sales.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #1,593 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an upgrade to the WA22? I didn't know that.
frown.gif
Well maybe it's good that I didn't know that.
redface.gif

So this morning it was 34 degrees in San Francisco. Turned on all of the heaters and blew a fuse. Lights out. WA22 out. Coffee pot out! Eeek! I hope that didn't stress those tubes. Certainly stressed me.

No, there is no upgrade for WA22 yet. Here is 16 degree in Seattle this morning. So much for global warming! I showed up at work opened the gate for everybody, and called "sick", went back to sleep.
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #1,594 of 42,298
Quote:

OMG. BLACK GOLD! Sticks of sound dynamite! WOW WOW WOW. That is soooo cool. Probably sounds equally as impressive. At the top, and slightly to the right of center in the photo, is that where those mini tubes go if you use them? What were they for now? Looks like mini after burners.
biggrin.gif

yup, those are where the 2 12AU7's go. they stick out of the back, but are protected by some slick aluminum covers. I have yet to install them, however, since I do not use a single-ended source.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #1,595 of 42,298
Quote:

Hey TheAudioDude, Jack told me last Wednesday (Dec. 2) that he was waiting for a shipment of rectifiers before he could send out my WA22. I bet it was because he was replacing the rectifier with the 5Z4G. So you've probably saved me a ship-back to Jack because he found one source of your amp hum--the rectifier.

Ahh, nice! I e-mailed Jack on Saturday and asked what he did to reduce the noise on my amp. He said that he added an extra magnetic shield to the power supply; apparently the power supply can be quite noisy in the WA22. I'll crack open my WA22 once I get it and see what it looks like now. It should be here either tomorrow or Thursday
tongue_smile.gif

Do you have any hum on your WA22? How are you enjoying it??

As a side note... has anyone here been using their Woo amps for videogames/movies? I do quite a bit of gaming and movie watching and I only got a chance to watch a couple of movies/play a few games with my WA22. It was great but I wanted to hear other people's opinions.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #1,598 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this straight - the hum in the in wa22 is a well known and EXPECTED "feature"?!?

I did not say that. If there is still hum after 100 hours. Well, you got problem.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #1,599 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this straight - the hum in the in wa22 is a well known and EXPECTED "feature"?!?

Most tube amps have audible hum, it is difficult to remove all of the hum from a tube amp but it's not impossible. For example, DNA Sonett is dead quiet, even with IEM.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #1,600 of 42,298
I've noticed on the WA22 that the 5Z4G is much quieter than the Sophia 274B. The 5Z4G is almost silent (have to really strain to notice) while the 274B I hear a very 'soft' white noise. it's not irritating at all and is not audible during music. Some kind of vibrations on the mesh plate?

I haven't yet done enough listening to comment on the acoustical differences besides the background noise level.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,601 of 42,298
Still couldn't resist posting some pics of the fired up Sophia on the WA22
biggrin.gif

WA22_02.jpg

WA22_04.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #1,602 of 42,298
^ That's so beautiful man. Kind of makes me wish I went with black instead of silver. Maybe my next Woo amp will be black
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back