Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #1,201 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by oricon82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a month plus of waiting, it's finally here!

<snip>

It's time to
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
icon10.gif

Oh man! That 6SE sure looks SWEET! I wish I had the desk space and, more importantly, budget to get one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THE WAIT IS KILLING ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

I've decided not to listen to my headphones until I get the WA22 but man is it hard.

Oh it is taxing indeed, but hang on and the day shall come. Just yesterday Jack notified my that my WA6 would be shipping today
k701smile.gif

I guess I'll have tu put up my Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid for sale ?

cheers!

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #1,202 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THE WAIT IS KILLING ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

I've decided not to listen to my headphones until I get the WA22 but man is it hard.

Your wait is shorter than my wait. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
+1 +2 +3 +4 +5 X 100!!!!!! MY WA22 is supposed to arrive on Nov. 16.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #1,204 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel for you. My WA22 should be shipping out by the end of this week though
bigsmile_face.gif

I will soon share your excitement.
icon10.gif
Where's that "I'm still waiting for my Woo" support group?
confused_face.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #1,205 of 42,298
So many WA22 owners here and I anticipate to have your impression on it, please. I'm now itching to sell my 6SE and get this monster. But I've spent a lot on the BG mod and now is almost 800hrs of run-in then found that takezo is absolutely right, the 6SE sings much lovely than the last few hundred of hrs when the time reach 750 and over....................

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #1,207 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your wait is shorter than my wait. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
+1 +2 +3 +4 +5 X 100!!!!!! MY WA22 is supposed to arrive on Nov. 16.

Well, at least you won't have to wait 6 to 10 days for the shipment to be delivered to you, and you won't have to deal with customs... which I'm anticipating will be the most interesting part of getting my amp...

cheers!

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #1,208 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at least you won't have to wait 6 to 10 days for the shipment to be delivered to you, and you won't have to deal with customs... which I'm anticipating will be the most interesting part of getting my amp...

cheers!

Were you able to get a pair of backup 6DE7s or the like just in case?

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #1,209 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cheers!

Yes indeed, this is always the fun bit for us off-worlders. I'm thinking at this point I'll have about...oh...five days to run this puppy in before the UK meet
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,210 of 42,298
New WooAudio owner here. WOOhoo!
I got an second hand WA6 with upgrade from ciphercomplete (who was a breeze to deal with)
upgrades include:
Premium parts
DACT CT2 stepped attenuator:
Pseudo-dual power supply mod:
Alo Solid Silver Core wiring throughout

The tubes included were
Sophia Princess and stock rectifier
2 pairs RCA 6DE7, 1 pair Tung Sol 6DE7, 1 pair RCA 6CY7

Color silver.

I'll start with wow, it is absolutely beautiful, I knew it looked good from pictures but you really appreciate the build quality in person. Despite having read several people comment that they were surprised how heavy it was I was still surprised.

This is my first headphone amp, and really my first piece of hifi equipment, I figured to spend on something quality and have it last for a long time because I don't really have the money to upgrade often but I do have the patients to save a few months and get something quality.

I don't have a cdp or highend headphones as I'm busy savingo them still (I'm getting one but at a time so again I get the best I can afford). I should have them in a month though (it's remarkable how much I save when I stop drinking alcohol when I go out).

Anyway so to make sure it was working on arrival and went and got a power cable and some interconnects and plugged it into my sisters DVD player (which isn't a particularly good one by any means).

Using my Sennheiser HD485's I tested it and a huge smile appeared on my face. As these headphones are easy to drive I wasn't expected too noticeable gains but there were. I could clearly hear the difference running through the amp than just out of my computer.
It sounds so much more emotional and lively. Each instrument is clearer and can be isolated, yet they all mesh together better also. Subtle sounds are clearer too. And on some guitar solos for instance, before the treble at times felt like it couldn't go any higher and got a hard sound, but through the amp my headphones feel like they handle it effortlessly.

I cannot wait to here what it will sound like when I get a CDP (Rega Apollo) and headphones (Sennheiser HD650) it will be orgasmic I suspect. (then it's onto saving for vinyl
jecklinsmile.gif
)

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #1,211 of 42,298
I just have a few questions also regarding usage of the amp.

How hot should the tubes get? (the power tubes are getting very hot, like a light-globe, and the rectifier borders on hot and warm)

Also when I've turned the amp I noticed the rectifier (Sophia Princess 274B) sparked a bit inside the tube - is this okay?
It hasn't happened every time but I've noticed it about twice)

Also when switching from high to low impedance should I turn the amp off? What's the procedure there?

Lastly how will I know when to replace the tubes. I know people have said when the sound starts to get overly warm. But I don't have the tubes from new to do a comparison, also as it's my first tube amp (well first amp entirely actually) I don't have anything else to compared it to.
Are there any other cues (like diminishing glow, etc)?

Any other advice regarding usage and care for my amp would be hugely appreciated.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #1,212 of 42,298
Well I did it, just ordered a stock black W6se, now the waiting begins.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,213 of 42,298
After months of reading through these threads looking for an amp that'll do my HD800's justice (without completely breaking my wallet) I just ordered a black 6SE with the Sophia Princess 274B.

I'd like the thank the folks in this thread for their insights. Jack was able to make it compatible with the 6fd7 tubes (thanks Covenant for highlighting this issue and takezo for pointing the way to a solution). I think he's going to make this standard in the future, but for know if anyone orders a new 6SE, I'd ask for it just to be safe.

Now the hard part, waiting............. (mumbling, sorry about my wallet
rolleyes.gif
)

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #1,214 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have a few questions also regarding usage of the amp.

How hot should the tubes get? (the power tubes are getting very hot, like a light-globe, and the rectifier borders on hot and warm)

Also when I've turned the amp I noticed the rectifier (Sophia Princess 274B) sparked a bit inside the tube - is this okay?
It hasn't happened every time but I've noticed it about twice)

Is it when you turn on the amp that it is sparking or just randomly?
I have been reading about this amp along with the manufacturer spec sheets for the tubes and right now I don't like what I am seeing.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #1,215 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it when you turn on the amp that it is sparking or just randomly?
I have been reading about this amp along with the manufacturer spec sheets for the tubes and right now I don't like what I am seeing.

Can you elaborate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back