Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #1,097 of 42,298
covenant, if you want to make use of the 6fd7 on your wa6SE amp, this is all you need
to have done on it. replace the circled capacitors with one rated at 200volts. the ones
in your amp now is rated at 100v only. you're hearing the crackling/popping
sound when the voltage at the cathode plate exceed the rating of the cap.

the capacitance value should be similar at 470uf. it's not crucial that it is the same
but within 40% of the value is recommended. this cap influences the SQ
immensely, so getting one of high quality is important. panasonic TS-ED series
caps are excellent. (if you're using blackgates, then the non-polar N-series is
highly recommended. it's a 220uf/160v cap.)

any competant technician can do this in less than 30 minutes.
or have it sent in back to wooaudio to make use of the warranty.

vllounge001429.jpg

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #1,098 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're an evil bunch, aren't we?
biggrin.gif

I have to say though, now that my WA6SE has surpassed 800hrs, and its using the Raytheon 6EW7/EML 5U4G combo, I've never heard anything sound this good. The 6SE with the HF-2 could very easily be my "end of the road" setup. The only comparable rig I've heard was a Meridian G07 > 007t > Omega 2 system, which costs basically 3x my setup.

Absolutely
biggrin.gif
, I'm still waiting my 6SE to have 800 hrs for the BG burn-in and now with 650 hrs marked. Good to hear you have commented the combo sounds great.
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #1,099 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean you don't want to hear my Ergo AMT...????? (chortle)..

No, and you stay away from me with them!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ones
in your amp now is rated at 100v only. you're hearing the crackling/popping
sound when the voltage at the cathode plate exceed the rating of the cap.

Thanks for figuring out what the cause of the incompatability was, Takezo. Tbh I'm content with my Raytheons for now - they're not quite as good as the Sylvania 6FD7s, but they come close. With Sennheisers the 6FD7s are much preferable, but the HF-2 is naturally very punchy anyway, and doesn't need any extra dynamics from the 6FD7.

Although, should I be concerned about those two caps? What effect would running them over-voltage cause? I know Singlepower amps ran basically every component over-volted and they were still good for a year or more, and I've only used 6FD7s for maybe 4hrs total, but still I worry.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #1,100 of 42,298
concerned? no, unless you hear the noise with other tubes as well...
but, i'd use the wooaudio warranty, if it applies, to have it changed out to a pair that
can handle any job. i've done many measurements and most are showing
70 - 80 volts there. doubling that to at least 150v should remedy that
issue once and for all. you really should get it done, by a technician there
or thru wooaudio. the caps are very cheap, like $3, unless you go exotic like the
blackgates.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #1,101 of 42,298
Ok... I just noticed that the glass on the pair of SP 274B's in my WA5-LE is significantly darker than glass on the SP 300B's in the amp. I got both sets at the same time from Jack in early April. The 274B's still work fine but are sort of smoked glass instead of clear glass (I will take a picture in daylight). I have to admit that I was busy and didn't pay much attention to the "bad batch" of SP 274B's that people were talking about before. Should the 274B's darken over such a short time? (I don't use the Woo that much since I on an average day, I just turn on the GS-1 because I am not doing critical listening. They do have a couple hundred hours on them probably though.) Also, I guess I will test them tomorrow to see how they are holding up. Perhaps it is time for a pair of EML Mesh 5U4G.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,102 of 42,298
the glass darkening seems to be the norm for the sophia 274b type. try not to turn the
amp on and off excessively, as the tubes take the most stress during switch-on phase.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #1,103 of 42,298
Originally posted by Covenant
Quote:

No, and you stay away from me with them!

Hear them, you know you want to....... (tee hee).

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #1,104 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but, i'd use the wooaudio warranty, if it applies, to have it changed out to a pair that
can handle any job.

Well, the thing is, I'd want to send it back to Woo to preserve the warranty, which means international shipping. And my 6SE has the premium parts, so those two caps would need to be replaced with comparable Blackgates. And my 6FD7s were sold at the cost of shipping to rated1975 (WA6 owner), so I'd need to buy another pair of those too.

Too much expense and effort at this point. I'm not even sure Jack would offer to do the replacement free of charge, as the amp is working properly with the recommended tubes for it, after all.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #1,105 of 42,298
I was just looking at the thread on the EML 274B and SP 274B and had a question.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/emi...5/#post4618513

Here Jon L says that you shouldn't buy a 274B for a 300B amp. Can someone confirm this. It is an upgrade tube option on the WA5 and WA5LE page. I bought them directly with the WA5-LE and cannot imagine that Jack would recommend a tube that shouldn't be used with it.

I guess this means I should look into getting a pair of 5U4G's. I just know if it is worth paying $400+ for a pair of EML Mesh 5U4G's - even though they are pretty sweet looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other recommendations for new or NOS 5U4G's for the WA5-LE that don't cost that much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"NOS 5U4G" doesn't really tell you much. Which one?

The good 5U4G's are never harsh, and something like RCA coke-bottle top-getter 5U4G sounds far preferable to solid-plate Sophia 274B IME. As far as mesh 274B's, they'll work for low-power applications, but they have far lower current rating than solid-plates, so don't buy them for your 300B amps, for example.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #1,106 of 42,298
well, the solid plate is rated for 160ma whereas the mesh is rated for only 90ma. i believe
the latter is within the operating points of the wa5-le. if it wasn't, you'd know about it
pretty quickly after turning on the amp. ask jack for confirmation though. the 300b
does seem to be recommended with the solid plate over the mesh plate, but i'm not sure
what set up it's being implemented in.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,107 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by rated1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Covenants 6fd7 fat bottles arrived yesterday and i promptly rolled them into the WA6, in combination with the Sophia 274b. Major and immediate differences between 6fd7 and 6ew7 are increased gain, (now listening around 11-12 o’clock, compared with 12-1 with 6ew7), and the low end has significantly increased, extending lower and louder, creating a tighter, deeper and fuller sound. There has been no discernible differences in soundstage or instrument separation.

11-12 o'clock
eek.gif

I use RCA fat bottle 6fd7s on my WA6 SE and anything past 9 o'clock is way too loud for my comfort (measuring around 100-110dB on the SPL meter). Around 8 o'clock is about 75-80dB.

Simon

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #1,108 of 42,298
I had a EML 274B solid plate and sent it back for a EML mesh plate both nib.

I only had the solid plate for one night. However I almost kept it because the sound was wonderful. It sounded like how this reverer described it. (see link)
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4615901-post1.html

I now have the EML 274B mesh plate in my WA6SE maxxed.

At first there was very little differences between the SP 274B.
After about 7 hours of use (not continuous) the soundstage started to improve but still no wear near that of the EML 274B solid plate. Also the tonal quality started to improve.

So for some reason it would seem that the EML 274B solid plate doesn't need much break-in. And I am hoping the EML mesh after some break-in will be at least as good as the EML 247B solid plate.

ss

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #1,109 of 42,298
I am a proud owner of one of the first Woo Audio GES stat amps after holding onto the prototype, and I will be receiving a shiny new balanced WES with upgraded "tubery" in November (fingers crossed).
I was holding onto Jack's one and only WES until Wednesday morning when it had to be packed up and shipped to Colorado for RMAF.

I consider this amp the WA5SE of the electrostatic world. Built like a brick sheet house, aesthetically beautiful, and has the sound output of a choir of angels who also like to rock and roll, and jazzercise.

The output of this amp is second to none, and I hope that I can do side by side comparisons to the Thunderbolt, the Blue Hawaii, the Aristaeus and the (nevermind ES1/2).

Hopefully, before I plunk down cash that I don't actually have (nothing new, in my life), I'll get to compare it to a Thunderbolt and a Blue Hawaii at the November's NYC Annual Fall meet.

I'm thinking that it should be a notch above the HEV-70
tongue_smile.gif

I was listening to some late 60's early 70's Hot Tuna - "Live at Sweetwaters" this week and it was bringing tears to my eyes. The bass was packed better than a Pastrami Sandwich at the Carnegie Deli in Times Square.
The air and the separation between the instrument and vocals was some of the best that I've ever heard on a stat amp.
It was indeed a religious experience. I thought that I saw a silhouette of Jesus in the shadows of the stepped attenuator volume control.

I also own 2 Jack Woo headphone stands...does that count, in this "unite" thread?

All kidding aside, Mr. Wu and Co. make outstanding, problem free components that should endure a lifetime of Head-Fi abuse.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #1,110 of 42,298
Enjoying the WA 6 with the very modified PDPS and the Grado HF2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back