Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #946 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure which pin is the "beginning" pin to take those readings, and I don't actually own a multimeter (i know, i know), but I'll look into getting that info over the next week or so.

The tension feels about the same as with my other tubes, although I'll need to visually compare pin size.

here's a pic of the pin arrangement in the wa6SE:

vllounge000978.jpg

place the black pin of the multimeter on the ground point between the
sockets. (this will act as the reference zero voltage) place the red pin
of the multimeter at pins 1, 4 and 9 to take readings. if you're not
comfortable with live electricity, please don't do it yourself. i'm inclined
to believe there's an issue with one of your sockets.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #947 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ps: dannie, have you tried the takman resistors? these are excellent at the cathode
plates and for the cathode bypass positions. i think they're on par with the rikens
but much cheaper and slightly less warm.

Hi takezo, thanks for the info. I have the RMGs there at cathod bypass positions, did you ever compare the sound between the RMG and Takman? Thanks.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #948 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only seems to happen with 6FD7 tubes, and this has been with both the Sophia and the EML. 6EW7s and 6DE7s work fine. Tbh the cracking noise is too loud and sudden to really identify which channel its coming from.

I had a crackling sound from one channel with 6fd7 and 6ew7 tubes. Sent the amp to Jack and he replaced what was a faulty socket. Not had the problem since.

Simon

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #949 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi takezo, thanks for the info. I have the RMGs there at cathod bypass positions, did you ever compare the sound between the RMG and Takman? Thanks.

hi dannie, yes, to a certain degree. i've been using the riken and takman at
the cathode bypass and cathode plate position recently and they do impart
distinguishable differences in the overall sound. the riken is super smooth and
warm but also high resolution and clarity. the takman is not as warm but
smooth with just as high resolution and clarity. both are sweet sounding but
the takman is 1/5 the price at 50 cents for the 1/4watt line.

one thing i wouldn't do is to use these carbon composite resistors all over
the place. it'd be too much of the warm signature. i'm staying with the mills
or kiwame at the power filtering stages and go with takman or riken only at
the cathode plate and bypass position.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #950 of 42,298
Hi takezo, thanks a lot for the detail description of the riken and takman. But from PartsconneXion website, I can see there is a new series of metal film resistor called REY for audio coming soon seems very good.

"Our REY metal film resistor for audio equipment has the features that it consists of resistor thin film made mainly of Ni-Cr-Al materials, brass caps and non-oxygen copper wire. High-precision is realized with laser trimming and high stability and high sound quality are achieved with most proper coating. This resistor is usable for any audio components."

But they supply 1 watt max so for the 2 watt requirement of the 6SE, a parallel connection for 2 resistors at the cathode plate and bypass position is needed. I'll order some when they have stock.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #951 of 42,298
dannie, i don't think you need a 2 watt resistor for the wa6SE, as the regular takman rex
is rated for 500v with the 1 watt line. the 1/2 watt line is rated for 350v and the 1/4 watt
line is rated for 250v. the 1 watt resistor is more than enough for the power filtering stage
which will see only about 220v at most on the wa6SE. the cathode plate/bypass positions
will only see 80v at the most so the 1/4watt line is fine there. but ultimately it's up to you.

i'd be interested in the new REY line by takman but i think i'll stick with the carbon composite
in the cathode plate/by pass positions. i may try the REY in the power filtering stages, as
they are metal film types, but the mills are hard to beat. one thing the REY has going for it
is the low prices, so i will probably try them out on the wa6 i have first. thanks for pointing
them out dannie.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #953 of 42,298
hey guys...I am planning to upgrade to the WA6 with the PDPS and the sophia tube. coming from the friendly EF1 I am looking for a monster improvement. anymore upgrade you can advise me before purchasing?

and a few question:

Is the power supply of the WA6 internal..?didn't see any picture on woo's site for an external one?

do I need to order special 220v version or it can handle both 220 and 110?

how is the sound with the sophia tube? is it warm and lush? would you recommend changing the driver tubes also?

thanks!

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #954 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys...I am planning to upgrade to the WA6 with the PDPS and the sophia tube. coming from the friendly EF1 I am looking for a monster improvement. anymore upgrade you can advise me before purchasing?
That's it.
Is the power supply of the WA6 internal..?didn't see any picture on woo's site for an external one?
Yes
do I need to order special 220v version or it can handle both 220 and 110?
There is a voltage selector on the back of the amp.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #955 of 42,298
thanks for the quick reply mate! I guess you are a WA6 owner..?

I am very excited, because it will be my first serious tube amp. but I am expecting a huge improvement over the EF1 and I just hope that I won't get dissapointed.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #956 of 42,298
sorry for the dummish questions but just want to find out some details before buying.

are you guys changing the rectifier tube or the two driver tubes to tweak the sound? I guess the rectifier tube gives the most impact on the sound since it is the gain tube...am I right?
didn't see a lot of options for a rectifier tube replacments...but I guess that with the princess I might not have to.

and one more thing...can someone please explain shortly what is the difference between Output Transformer Coupled amp and OLT? is the first better for driving low and high impedance cans alike?

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #957 of 42,298
from my experiences, the rectifier does impart it's own sound signature thru the wa6
and wa6SE. these are not gain tubes but act as the stage where AC voltage/current
is changed to DC voltage/current. (an inverter does the opposite) i think the sound we
can distinguish is due not to the quantity, but the manner in which the electrons are
being moved from the anode plates to the cathode plates. thus plate structure, size,
composition, heat dissipating ability, plate resistance and other variables are important.

as much impact as the rectifiers may have, the tubes in front impart more distinguishable
sound signature for the wa6/6SE from my experience. these twin tubes are duo triodes
with two separate sections that act as a drive/gain section and power/output section.
most of these duo/dissimilar triodes were made for televisions of the 40's to the 70's.
the most popular were the 6sn7 variants which have two sections that are equal and
are not dissimilar like the 6de7. these 6sn7 were made for small tv monitors of the 40's
but as soon as the screens got bigger engineers needed a more powerful section that
could power the larger area of the screen. thus the 6de7 and many others were created.
for power and dynamic clarity these newer triodes are fine but i think the craftsmanship
and material used in the 40's resulted in better tubes like the 6sn7. these
earlier 6sn7 give a more refined, balanced and ethereal sound quality, which
works for acoustic music the best. woo audio seems to be selling the adapter
for the 6sn7 on the wa6. BUT, these adapters will not work for the wa6SE
without further modifying the amount of voltage reaching the cathode sect.
instead of changing the amp internal circuitry, a resistor can be used in the
adapter itself for the modification. i don't think wooaudio has worked on
making these available yet.

as good as these duo triodes are, the better( or simply more expensive) amps
make use of two separate tubes for the drive/gain and power section. because
the 6sn7 lacks power to make speakers function at their best most amp builders
use the 6sn7 for the drive section only, with a separate more efficient tube for
the power section.this allows for more tube rolling combinations and flexiblility.
but for most headphones, except the k1000 and k340, the wa6 and wa6SE works
fine with just the 6sn7 performing both functions, mainly because the output
transformer picks up for the less than ideal power section of the 6sn7.
a good example of using separate driver tube and power tube is the wa22 and
the wa5. but don't get discouraged, these duo triodes sound great on the wa6
and wa6SE.

the main difference between the transformer-coupled and otl is that one uses
transformer in the output section to change the impedance, voltage and
current to drive lower impedance cans which require more current than voltages.
the otl doesn't use transformers but instead usually uses capacitors and
output tubes in series to function as the transformer. transformers are thought
to impart more distortion than capacitors and thus the otl amps. this may be
more relevant if transformers were still made in the 50's or if the amp was to be
used solely for speakers, but wooaudio makes their own hand-wound
transformers to their liking. i hope i haven't caused any more confusion and
that some of this helped in making your choice.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #959 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a lot for the explenation. but, is the wa6 considered as warm sounding amp...? i mean, it isn't S.Sish sounding right?

It has a wide range of sound depending on the tubes, but I haven't felt it sounding SS ever. If you get one and think it sounds like an SS amp, try some new tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back