Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #691 of 42,298
I recently aquired a Woo Audio WA6SE Maxxed with Princess (except it has regular tube sockets). The unit is 3-4 months old with approx. 200 hrs on it. Considering the Black Gates this unit is just starting on the road to being broken in. I am primarily pairing it with the Grado PS1000, it sounds exceptional and I'm no stranger to tube amps.

When I received the unit it had Raytheon's as the driver tubes, one of these tubes had a single halo top getter, and the other was a clear top with side getter, are these both 6EW7's? could they possibly be matched considering the difference in construction? I swapped them out for Westinghouse 6EW7 Clear tops. A pair of International C 6EW7's were also included which I have not tried.

I'm very impressed with the construction of the Woo and love the sound with the PS1000's, I'll eventually get to my other phones with this amp but am having too much fun to swap at the moment.
biggrin.gif

By the way it is silver and looks incredible with the PS1000's and my silver lamp (for anyone who thinks silver is always inferior to black
angry_face.gif
) All my other electronics are black but I love the Woo in silver!
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #692 of 42,298
Congrats on your Woo. 6SE is truly a top-tier performer.
I don't think the tubes have to be "matched," but I'd at least try to make sure the tubes are identical models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently aquired a Woo Audio WA6SE Maxxed with Princess (except it has regular tube sockets). The unit is 3-4 months old with approx. 200 hrs on it. Considering the Black Gates this unit is just starting on the road to being broken in. I am primarily pairing it with the Grado PS1000, it sounds exceptional and I'm no stranger to tube amps.

When I received the unit it had Raytheon's as the driver tubes, one of these tubes had a single halo top getter, and the other was a clear top with side getter, are these both 6EW7's? could they possibly be matched considering the difference in construction? I swapped them out for Westinghouse 6EW7 Clear tops. A pair of International C 6EW7's were also included which I have not tried.

I'm very impressed with the construction of the Woo and love the sound with the PS1000's, I'll eventually get to my other phones with this amp but am having too much fun to swap at the moment.
biggrin.gif

By the way it is silver and looks incredible with the PS1000's and my silver lamp (for anyone who thinks silver is always inferior to black
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #693 of 42,298
Quote:

I recently aquired a Woo Audio WA6SE Maxxed with Princess (except it has regular tube sockets).

Congrats on your new Woo
biggrin.gif
I agree the WA6SE sounds excellent with Grados, I bit the bullet on the HF-2 after hearing them on my amp.

I'll leave the tube question for someone with more know-how, though.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #694 of 42,298
Quote:

... for anyone who thinks silver is always inferior to black
angry_face.gif
) ...

Where are they !?
very_evil_smiley.gif
... silver is superior !
regular_smile .gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #696 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are they !?
very_evil_smiley.gif
... silver is superior !
regular_smile .gif

For me, silver is the only way to go. I was never a big fan of black audio equipment..

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #697 of 42,298
Do you guys think a better power cable would benefit the WA6? I'm just using a generic one right now. I'm trying to make sure there's no "weak" links in my system.. not sure if the power cable counts.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #698 of 42,298
Quote:

..... By the way it is silver and looks incredible with the PS1000's and my silver lamp (for anyone who thinks silver is always inferior to black
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are they !?
very_evil_smiley.gif
... silver is superior !
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, silver is the only way to go. I was never a big fan of black audio equipment..

Finally, someone with silver units shines Woo's topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think a better power cable would benefit the WA6? I'm just using a generic one right now. I'm trying to make sure there's no "weak" links in my system.. not sure if the power cable counts.

Some boutique power cables may extend additional edge to WA6 but don't expect day and night difference of the same setup. I am currently using a Volex 17616 cable which were made in Mexico and I paid less than $5 for the bare wires without plugs. I have a Supra LoRad 2.5 for my next DIY PC on order now.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #699 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My personal belief is expensive power cords do nothing for SQ, especially in a low current draw headphone amp. Some believe they can hear a difference. I believe the differences they hear are caused by the placebo effect.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #700 of 42,298
^ Agree, expensive power cords look good though
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #701 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Agree, expensive power cords look good though
biggrin.gif

Some of them look amazing, but definitely not worth the money...at least for me

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #702 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal belief is expensive power cords do nothing for SQ, especially in a low current draw headphone amp. Some believe they can hear a difference. I believe the differences they hear are caused by the placebo effect.

It is OK to spend some monie$ on power cables and just don't overspent. Obvious difference is heard on the low frequencies are heard when I switched to higher grade power cables.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #704 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY will not cost too much...

If you're going to do it, DIY is definitely the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back