Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #466 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my woo 6 back with pdps upgrade.
I'm somewhat dumfounded. I liked it better before the upgrade with the hd800. Maybe because the bass was not as tight, but I felt it had more bass before the upgrade. I also don't sense greater power?

Does the pdps take time to burn in?

depends... does it have blackgate caps? if yes, the additional cap needed
for the pdps may take some hours to settle. if no, the sound won't change
much with additional burn-in. unless jack now uses caps i haven't heard of...

just to clarify, are you saying that you don't like the tighter bass now?
using a 5u4g rca or philco rectifier will give you a more loose bass...
power is not increased btw...the distribution of power is improved... resulting
in better transparency, transient handling and overall resolution. you may be
thinking of higher gain... which is another story all together. jack can raise
the gain by changing out cap and resistor values in certain sections of the
circuit. but you're better off using a 6fd7, 6cy7 or 6dr7 to raise the gain
by up to 30%.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #467 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends... does it have blackgate caps? if yes, the additional cap needed
for the pdps may take some hours to settle. if no, the sound won't change
much with additional burn-in. unless jack now uses caps i haven't heard of...

just to clarify, are you saying that you don't like the tighter bass now?
using a 5u4g rca or philco rectifier will give you a more loose bass...
power is not increased btw...the distribution of power is improved... resulting
in better transparency, transient handling and overall resolution. you may be
thinking of higher gain... which is another story all together. jack can raise
the gain by changing out cap and resistor values in certain sections of the
circuit. but you're better off using a 6fd7, 6cy7 or 6dr7 to raise the gain
by up to 30%.

with denons I would love the tighter bass but I guess with the hd800, I think it's so bass tight than a looser bass would actually be nice. it's odd i know.
but thanks for the recommending the power tubes.
I guess I'll try tube rolling in the future. for now i spent too much on the pdps and sophia.

thanks

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #468 of 42,298
How did you all burn in your Woo's? My WA6SE has the premium parts upgrade, and I've been told the blackgates take upwards of 500hrs to reach their final sound. But Jack recommends not running the amp continuously for more than 8hrs at a time, and not to leave the amp running unattended.

Which means burning in this thing is going to take aaaaages. At 8hrs a day, that's 62.5 days - or 9 weeks - before the amp is burned in. I'm trying to hold out on using the Sophia or the drive tube replacements (Raytheons) until the amp's at 400hrs, but I'm shuffling my feet impatiently already
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #469 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you all burn in your Woo's? My WA6SE has the premium parts upgrade, and I've been told the blackgates take upwards of 500hrs to reach their final sound. But Jack recommends not running the amp continuously for more than 8hrs at a time, and not to leave the amp running unattended.

Which means burning in this thing is going to take aaaaages. At 8hrs a day, that's 62.5 days - or 9 weeks - before the amp is burned in. I'm trying to hold out on using the Sophia or the drive tube replacements (Raytheons) until the amp's at 400hrs, but I'm shuffling my feet impatiently already
tongue.gif

i turned on the amp when i woke and turned if off when i went to sleep for
the first several weeks... not a good idea when i think about it now but the
wife checked on it whenever she came back home from school during that time.
later, i left it on for 4-6 hrs. at a time until i could no longer distinguish any
fluctuation in sonics. this is what i observed, if i remember correctly:

1-200 hrs.: rapid changes... almost hour to hour from great to congested.
200- 500: still observed changes but latency was longer in duration.
day to day and week to week.
500-800: very long latency periods of great followed by congested sound. almost
gave up during bad stretch in thinking something was wrong with the caps.
lasted weeks it seemed.
800 to present: can't remember hearing any significant changes in sonics.
settled at vastly transparent and responsive to changes in rectifier and
drive tubes.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #470 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1-200 hrs.: rapid changes... almost hour to hour from great to congested.
200- 500: still observed changes but latency was longer in duration.
day to day and week to week.
500-800: very long latency periods of great followed by congested sound. almost
gave up during bad stretch in thinking something was wrong with the caps.
lasted weeks it seemed.
800 to present: can't remember hearing any significant changes in sonics.
settled at vastly transparent and responsive to changes in rectifier and
drive tubes.

Ugg, so you experienced changes even after the 500hr mark, to the degree of week-long streches of congestion?

And here I thought the marathon would end at 500hrs. 800hrs instead...
/dies.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #471 of 42,298
Quote:

I just received my woo 6 back with pdps upgrade.
I'm somewhat dumfounded. I liked it better before the upgrade with the hd800. Maybe because the bass was not as tight, but I felt it had more bass before the upgrade. I also don't sense greater power?

Does the pdps take time to burn in?

Absolutely needs to burn-in again - I got the PDPS done May 2008 and it took 3-4 months of normal use to burn-in again (my maxed WA6 required moar blackgates for the PDPS).

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #472 of 42,298
Quote:

with denons I would love the tighter bass but I guess with the hd800, I think it's so bass tight than a looser bass would actually be nice. it's odd i know.
but thanks for the recommending the power tubes.
I guess I'll try tube rolling in the future. for now i spent too much on the pdps and sophia.

thanks

Oh! The Sophia takes 20-25 hours to sound good, and 80 to fully burn-in.

COVENANT - It took 500 hours before I could say I was going to keep my maxed WA6, and another 400-500 hours before the PDPS and Sophia made it sound like the best amp I've owned.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #473 of 42,298
I am at 400+ hours mark now and still cooking. I just received a pair of Sylvania NOS Fat Bottled 6EW7 and it sounds great in comparison with the other tubes I have in my inventory. I am looking forward for a better result when the output tube is burn-in.

Side note, the SP is an excellent rectifier which shouldn't be missed and I am glad that I got that in placed for excellent performance.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #474 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COVENANT - It took 500 hours before I could say I was going to keep my maxed WA6, and another 400-500 hours before the PDPS and Sophia made it sound like the best amp I've owned.

/dies more
tongue.gif

I'm a little better off in that regard, though. The WA6SE at 75hrs might already be the best amp I've owned
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #475 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/dies more
tongue.gif

I'm a little better off in that regard, though. The WA6SE at 75hrs might already be the best amp I've owned
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you enjoy listening to the WA6SE even without SP... Try again when you amp is mature and ready to take in the SP and other output tubes. It is another dimension you would love even more.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #476 of 42,298
I was wondering what the advantages are in sound for the 6EW7 over the 6DE7 and if I could directly substitute the 6EW7 for the 6DE7 on my regular woo 6?

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #478 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the fat bottle 6EW7 has slightly bigger sound stage and smooth on female vocal than the stock 6DE7. Yes, you can use 6EW7 instead 6DE7. Try 6FD7, I really like it with my HD600.

could you describe the sound characteristics of the 6FD7 compared to 6DE7 and 6EW7

thanks

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #479 of 42,298
The one thing I noticed with the fat-bottle Sylvania 6FD7 is that they appear to produce more gain in my WA6SE. Admittedly, I listen at pretty low levels but the 6FD7 wouldn't let me get past 8 o'clock on the dial with my GS1Ki 'phones. I put the 6EW7 RCAs back in and I was back to 9-10 o'clock on the same material.

I don't know if this is consistent with what others have experienced - just sharing what happened to me. I didn't leave them in long enough to discover their other sonic attributes...

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #480 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing I noticed with the fat-bottle Sylvania 6FD7 is that they appear to produce more gain in my WA6SE. Admittedly, I listen at pretty low levels but the 6FD7 wouldn't let me get past 8 o'clock on the dial with my GS1Ki 'phones. I put the 6EW7 RCAs back in and I was back to 9-10 o'clock on the same material.

I don't know if this is consistent with what others have experienced - just sharing what happened to me. I didn't leave them in long enough to discover their other sonic attributes...

Same here. The 6fd7 is a higher gain tube and so increases the volume. I rarely get past 8 either.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back