Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #331 of 42,298
Quote:

Also, the output gain is restricted by the pre-amp depends on the voulme control.

I don't exactly know what that means :p Layman's terms please?
smily_headphones1.gif

But if that's the case, is there another Pre-Amp you folks would suggest? (Hurting my wallet once again aren't you Head-Fi? Minimum Wage isn't enough for this hobby!)

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #332 of 42,298
Which mean you have 2 volume control on your set-up, one in the 750 and the other in your Woo amp. My question is how you dail your VC on your 750, is it all the way up to max? You can get 1.8V output if you turn your VC to the max and this would be a little low as a source's output, normally 2.0V is more reasonable. Also, the SQ would be affected by an extra VC.

Look for some MM phone amp with fix output gian for 2.0V or 2.25V but I dunno what exactly would cost. Do some google and may be eBay.

Hope this help.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #333 of 42,298
It also depends on the output tubes that are in used. I can't appreciate the 6FD7 that I have and rolled it back to the stock 6EW7 which is more pleasant to listen to. The 6FD7 has too much gain and too rich, volume can hardly pass 10 where I am enjoying 6EW7 at 1130 without going deaf.

This is entire different scenario from my previous iPod to WA6 where decent volume was set to 4 o'clock. It confirms that WA6SE output is greater than WA6 and a decent DAC does helps.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #334 of 42,298
My TC750 VC is all the way to the max, but I'll do some research on getting a new one
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, as of right now I have all stock tubes in. I'm waiting to burn in a little bit before putting in the Sophia, so as to not "waste" her :p

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #336 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you guys listen to music loud. I usually between 9-10 and sometime go up to 11 and I use my iPhone as source.

Aren't your 6DF7's higher gain than 6DE7's? Maybe that's why your volume control is so low. Most of my CD's are played around 11:00 for a decent volume level. I've gone as high as 2:00 on certain older 60's recordings. There are so many variables such as how hot the performance was originally recorded, source, tubes, hearing sensitivity, etc..

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #338 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't your 6DF7's higher gain than 6DE7's? Maybe that's why your volume control is so low. Most of my CD's are played around 11:00 for a decent volume level. I've gone as high as 2:00 on certain older 60's recordings. There are so many variables such as how hot the performance was originally recorded, source, tubes, hearing sensitivity, etc..

Maybe, I tried my other tubes but never pass 11.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #339 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh my god, ardbeg. I once bought a bottle of 1965 ardbeg, aged 25yrs - try as I might, it didn't last long...

Nice! I am on the Ardbeg Committee and have nine different Ardbegs. Always have a bottle of Ardbeg Ten open, and currently sipping a Lord of the Isles
biggrin.gif

Simon

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #340 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, I tried my other tubes but never pass 11.

6fd7 tubes are indeed higher gain but with my Cyrus CD6 SE and GS1000s I never went past 9 o'clock with any driver tubes in the sockets.

Simon

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #342 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still no shipping notice from Jack. I emailed him 3 days ago asking for a status update and didn't hear back from him
frown.gif
Has anyone been in communication with him recently?

I got an email back from him on Friday at around 8:17PM (Actually, exactly then, thanks Gmail. :p) as he forgot to ship my R Headphone Stand along with my amp, so I had emailed him inquiring about it, and he shipped one off that day for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

So he's around.

How long has it been since you ordered Covenant? I was getting antsy about my order too, almost emailed him about it, but then let it slide for another week and voila, he shipped it out and sent me a notice / tracking number. The whole 9 yards
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #343 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still no shipping notice from Jack. I emailed him 3 days ago asking for a status update and didn't hear back from him
frown.gif
Has anyone been in communication with him recently?

Just about the feet for my amp. I had some "dry spells" communicating with Jack when I ordered my amp but he ALWAYS got to me eventually. I know it can be maddening when waiting for such an important piece of gear, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I also don't think it would be out-of-line after three days to forward him the email you sent again and ask him if he's received it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #344 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't think it would be out-of-line after three days to forward him the email you sent again and ask him if he's received it.

I did just that, and he replied back with "It will ship tomorrow".

And I just got my USPS tracking notice a moment ago. w00t
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #345 of 42,298
Hi, do you think that WA22 is good for HD800? I consider to get it for my cans. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back