Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #39,796 of 42,298
Just picked up a WA5 gen 2 and looking for tube recommendations (will be paired with Focal Utopias)?

This is my first tube amp so very green in terms to what to try next.
I have Woo WA5-LE Gen 2 and it is my preferred amp with my Utopia’s. For rectifiers I like EML 5U4G’s or United 596’s (you’ll need adapters) for drivers I like Tung Sol round plates, 6SN7’s or the same in 6F8G with adapters for power I like EML or KR 300b tubes these are the best configuration after many less satisfactory experiments.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #39,797 of 42,298
I have Woo WA5-LE Gen 2 and it is my preferred amp with my Utopia’s. For rectifiers I like EML 5U4G’s or United 596’s (you’ll need adapters) for drivers I like Tung Sol round plates, 6SN7’s or the same in 6F8G with adapters for power I like EML or KR 300b tubes these are the best configuration after many less satisfactory experiments.

Thanks

The unit I bought is second hand and came with Fulllmusic 300B/Q, Sylvania 6SN7, Sophia Electric 274B - going to try these out for a while and then try different combos like the one you suggested.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #39,798 of 42,298
Thanks

The unit I bought is second hand and came with Fulllmusic 300B/Q, Sylvania 6SN7, Sophia Electric 274B - going to try these out for a while and then try different combos like the one you suggested.

From experience, your tubes are a good starting point. Start with drivers, then power and lastly rectifiers. Don’t buy into the rectifiers don’t matter argument. When you find a good one you’ll notice the difference on the WA5

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #39,799 of 42,298
I just got a pair of TungSol 5998 that I purchased directly from Woo Audio (Jack Wu recommended them to me as the best power tubes for WA22 when I met him at RMAF) to replace my TungSol 7236. It's frightening what the 5998 could do to the WA22. The soundstage just exploded for my Focal Utopia and the separation between the instruments and vocal became clearer than ever.

The Utopia has the bad rap of having a narrow soundstage, but at this point I wonder if it's just because other owners don't have the right equipment to properly convey the spaciousness of the recording. I heard the HD800 (and its fabled soundstage) once and now had to question whether it just artificially inflated the soundstage even though the DAC/amp were conveying no such thing.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #39,800 of 42,298
I just got a pair of TungSol 5998 that I purchased directly from Woo Audio (Jack Wu recommended them to me as the best power tubes for WA22 when I met him at RMAF) to replace my TungSol 7236. It's frightening what the 5998 could do to the WA22. The soundstage just exploded for my Focal Utopia and the separation between the instruments and vocal became clearer than ever.

The Utopia has the bad rap of having a narrow soundstage, but at this point I wonder if it's just because other owners don't have the right equipment to properly convey the spaciousness of the recording. I heard the HD800 (and its fabled soundstage) once and now had to question whether it just artificially inflated the soundstage even though the DAC/amp were conveying no such thing.

I can see this could expensive fast...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #39,801 of 42,298
Thanks - any idea where I could pick-up a matched pair of TungSol 5998's?

I bought them from Woo Audio (I actually just paid for them after I talked to Jack at RMAF via PayPal), so I think you can just reach out to Woo Audio via email or via Facebook Message. They're very responsive :)

I paid $440 for the matched pair, btw. Yeah, they aren't cheap ... but they're worth the money (to me anyway)

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #39,802 of 42,298
Just picked up a WA5 gen 2 and looking for tube recommendations (will be paired with Focal Utopias)?

This is my first tube amp so very green in terms to what to try next.

A couple of my favorites:
300B - Takatsuki
6F8G - w/ an adapter especially Tungsol round plate if you can find them, or National Union 6C8G (or TSRP for that matter)
Rectifier - I've been happy w/ Brimar 5Z4GY (cheap), sometimes use Mullard GZ32 or Weber WU4GB (cheap)

I also had a good experience with the EML 300B, it's one of the best cheaper 300Bs.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #39,803 of 42,298
It was me. I have absent from Head-Fi for a while.

I have run a few pairs of the Elrog's and had issues with most of them. There was a lot of back and forth between the then manufacturers of the Elrog, myself and Jack Wu. There was various speculation about the bases and other issues of the tubes and Elrog countered that with a suggestion that my 234's were not specced to run the tube correctly (even though by then I had run up a few thousand or so hours of use with other 300B's with no issues).

Fast forward, and I now am a Senior Contributing Editor for Mono and Stereo (sounds flash but I am just a scribe) so have access to more information.

The company that started Elrog ran into financial difficulties last year and was purchased by Thomas Mayer from Vinyl Saviour. Thomas is a savvy operator and has built many amps around the Elrog tubes successfully. He has been in contact with me recently and if you go to his site (Vinyl Saviour) and read his blog you will see he has completely re organised the manufacturing process of the Elrog Tubes. There were a number of issues which contributed to their earlier failures. Production has now restarted of the tubes and I have a set of the new production Tubes on the way. On my end my system has changed a fair bit so I eagerly wait to try out the new Elrog 300B's.

I will say this: What was so frustrating is that the Tubes sounded bloody marvellous, its just that the reliability was not there. Thomas tells me that not only has the reliability issues been sorted out but the the sound has been improved a lot.

This is all music to my ears and hopefully to anyone else that got to sample the old Elrog's. We need more new production Tubes. When I receive my set and they have some time on them I will report on their progress.

I am currently running a set of the new KR HP Tubes, the 300B Balloon's and the 274B's. I am at 350 hours and they replaced the Takatsuki 300B's and 274B's which were running in the amp before then. I am more than impressed by the sound quality of the KR's - I draw special attention to the fact they are the new HP versions. These were designed in unison with Joe Skubinski of JPS Labs - Abyss fame and I am told specially tuned for Headphone use. What ever the result is outstanding and I have no issue recommending them wholeheartedly and yes I paid full freight for my pair as I have the Elrog's.

Due to the construction and materials of the Elrog's, they require careful handling. My current plan is to run them with either Takatsuki 274B or KR 274B rectifiers.

I believe Woo Audio sell the KR HP Tubes. Just make sure you get the HP versions, they have a white base.

Photos below.

how do the KR 300B HP's compare to the Takatsukis?

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #39,804 of 42,298
Given the price difference I would go for the KR HP's over the Takatsuki's. Having said that I have logged about 1,200 hours on the KR HP's and have a set of Takatsuki's which have done 5,000 hours and they test like new. I think the KR HP's sound better, better detail, more bass, better extension etc. Make sure you get the matching 274B HP rectifier if you can.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #39,805 of 42,298
Given the price difference I would go for the KR HP's over the Takatsuki's. Having said that I have logged about 1,200 hours on the KR HP's and have a set of Takatsuki's which have done 5,000 hours and they test like new. I think the KR HP's sound better, better detail, more bass, better extension etc. Make sure you get the matching 274B HP rectifier if you can.

I have a WA5-LE and like all all of us who have been bitten with the tube rolling disease, I've been experimenting with 300B's. I have the EML 520B V3's, EML 300B mesh plates, and KR 300B's of the plain non HP variety. I bought the KR's on a whim and in the end I'm pleased. In order of preference EML 520B, close, really close, KR 300B, and lastly the EML 300 B Mesh. I had some of the best Chinese 300B's but the Czech tubes were much better for my ears and I sold off the Chinese tubes. I've never heard Takatsuki's but when you get to the upper end here you're splitting hairs. I probably have all of my EML and KR tubes for less that one pair of Tak's. For rectifiers, I like 5U4G's, as they are more robust than 274B's and it's a toss up between the EML 5U4G Mesh and my relative bargain favourite, the 596's. The 596 are really hard to find lately. Woo must have bought most of the available stock from the larger suppliers on the Web.

IMG_1593.JPG

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #39,807 of 42,298

Are you aware of any differences beyond cosmetic between the KR HP 300B and the KR 300B Balloon? I'm really happy with the Takatsuki coming from the EML 300B it was a noticeable improvement. There was some time ago also an argument that rectifiers may as well be solid state and some of those cheap Webers will out perform the most expensive rectifiers out there. I've leaned towards more of a tube purist angle since I have a solid state amp as well. I guess I'm still not sure how much a high end rectifier makes a difference. From what I have there's one I clearly didn't like and the others all seem about the same to me.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #39,808 of 42,298
Where do you guys buy your KR HP 300b ballon and 274B's from?

I see TheEvolutionOfSound has them for sale. That is where I just purchased my Abyss Phi from. Woo Audio may have them too. At least they demo'd the KR 2A3 in the WA33. For a couple of US options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back