Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #38,281 of 42,298
the store does 100 hours, and i will do the rest later :p

also:

the Tak's first started showing some improvement at 125 hours, at 195 hours I have them noted as "1st signs of magic" then at 280 hours they really began to change and finally settled down and were magic at 320 hours with no more changes noted from there. If you look back a few posts I posted an excerpt of an interview with the head of Western Electric, they are also well known for taking up to 500 hours before the full magic develops. 

so i will try to give it another 100 hours then started enjoying it ^^ 

btw people any idea about the break in time on the Elrog 300B?? the new Elrog edition are at tubeusa, i might get a pair.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #38,282 of 42,298
Does Woo have a new amp coming out? They just posted this to Twitter:

https://twitter.com/WooAudio/status/752279435479437312

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #38,283 of 42,298
Does Woo have a new amp coming out? They just posted this to Twitter:

https://twitter.com/WooAudio/status/752279435479437312

What the heck is that thing? It looks great.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #38,284 of 42,298
That's Woo new TOTL amp.  Anyone know the specs?

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #38,285 of 42,298
  That's Woo new TOTL amp.  Anyone know the specs?

From the picture, it looks to be balanced, but also seems to and this is just speculation as i have no idea, another tube headphone amp and speaker power amp all in one. i gather this because the far left nob has writing on it and the label above it says "functions" i see a 274b rectifier, with 2 6sn7's and what looks like and, i can be totally wrong about this but 4 6bl7 tall bottle's/glasses or 4 el34's. (again just speculation not actual specs)

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #38,286 of 42,298
  From the picture, it looks to be balanced, but also seems to and this is just speculation as i have no idea, another tube headphone amp and speaker power amp all in one. i gather this because the far left nob has writing on it and the label above it says "functions" i see a 274b rectifier, with 2 6sn7's and what looks like and, i can be totally wrong about this but 4 6bl7 tall bottle's/glasses or 4 el34's. (again just speculation not actual specs)

I wish Woo or someone else would make a serious amp without a rectifier. Like the WA6 but more powerful. Hybrids are the way to go for rectification. Rectifier really isn't doing much.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #38,288 of 42,298
  You know exactly what it is. It's our next amp :)

It certainly looks like a WA22 on steroids. I like it's form factor. Small footprint.

It looks to have a lot of WA22 features. Balanced outputs etc. Similar tubes. They could be 6BL7's at the back. Maybe 6080 circuits with 6BL7's installed.

Could the underneath bit hold the transformers?

Certainly striking looking. Woo certainly knows how to make a looker.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #38,289 of 42,298
^ yeh seems like ,

but doesn't look like that it will be an upgrade over the WA5-LE. guess new WA22 with new tech and separated Power Supply. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #38,290 of 42,298
  ^ yeh seems like ,

but doesn't look like that it will be an upgrade over the WA5-LE. guess new WA22 with new tech and separated Power Supply. 

From the SF meet thread:

WA22 Special Edition (WA22-SE) will be our new flagship fully balanced tube amplifier for electrodynamic headphones. Estimated release date is in the beginning of 2017, price to be determined. The San Fransico head-fi meet premiere is a prototype. We will finalize the specification in about two months.

In the center of the picture, it is the WA22-SE sitting between a WA5-LE and WDS-1 / WTP-1. The amplifier unit (top) is stacking on the power supply (bottom). It is designed to power a wide range of headphones to a new level exceeding the performance of WA-5LE.

We can't wait to show you.

"Exceeding the level of the WA5-LE".

Wonder if that means the price tag will also exceed the level of the WA5-LE? 
redface.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #38,291 of 42,298
"new flagship fully balanced tube amplifier for electrodynamic headphones"

oh i guess its not the same as WA5-LE at all? :p  electrodynamic headphones like Satx??? 

"exceeding the performance of WA-5LE."

i still think it will be different -.-'' unless somehow it can the same sound sig (but better) from the variety of tubes sets on the WA5-LE.

so many questions ;')

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #38,292 of 42,298
I got a bit confused on "electrodynamic" as well, what does that mean?  it definitely not an electrostatic headphones amp, and it got HD800 hooked up into it, so I think it's just another play on the word on Woo marketing part.  I agree that it will simply be different instead of "exceeding WA-5LE", once again a play on word to price this amp higher than WA5-LE.  Note, Woo didn't mention WA5 even though they are same same amp (with upgrade part), so my guess is this will price some where between WA5-LE and WA5-LE upgraded parts.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #38,293 of 42,298
Disclaimer:
what i will write is just an assumptions and expectations based on woo audio's claim (or marketing) that WA22-SE will exceed WA5-LE's performance.
also i don't expect it to sound different as in order to "Exceed" it shouldn't be completely different. 

Upgrade?
as a WA5-LE owner who researched about it ages before i decided to buy it, what do i expect or want in WA22-SE to even consider "Upgrading"

can the WA22-SE(use different tubes sets) do the same sound sig options (but better) of the WA5-LE when its paired with:

1- TA-300B/TA-247 (best weight on bass,mids, extended treble)
2- Elrog/GZ34 Metal , (SS like sound sig & Mullard mids)
3- TA-300B/GZ34  or Elrog/TA-247 (best sets to enjoy fast music if the Taka set is slightly heavy & slow for your needs, EDM or J-pop etc)

if yes, then i will start looking into it.... which bring us to the 2nd thing before considering it. the sound quality.

Sound Quality vs WA5-LE

so Woo Audio claim that WA22-SE "exceeds" the WA5-LE, so i expect that the sound sig (if it provide all what WA5-LE have) to sound better, and not slightly but enough to make me say "yes i can notice and hear the difference and its better than WA5-LE" then i can say it exceeds the WA5-LE and maybe buy it.

Tube options:
if the tube options on the WA22-SE are the same as WA5-LE then we are in luck as we can use the TA-300B etc or Mullard Metal Base etc. but it was different then trying to get the sound sig we have or love on WA5-LE will mean we need to search again into the tubes options that will provide what we want. i hope that won't be the case ;' )

so TL;DR  if WA22-SE will provide all the options (same sound sig on my tubes sets) and also will sound noticeably better (worth it level), then i can believe what Woo Audio claimed and then i "might" buy it and sell the WA5-LE (depend on the price)

so guys do you got the same expectations as me? feel free to post what you want (expect) the WA22-SE to provide for you as a WA5 owner.

i am sure my wallet want the WA22-SE to sound different 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #38,295 of 42,298
"New flagship fully balanced amplifier". Told you @Badas that this would be our next amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah. Interesting stuff. I will be very interested in pricing.

A WA5-LE beater is a bold statement. As it doesn't use 300B tubes. In saying that 4 6BL7 tubes could maybe compete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back