Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #38,266 of 42,298
  Does any one know if WA5 can use the same rectifier connector as badas is using?

Also can you mix different company brands but same type of tube? Example 1 NU 6c8g and one TS 6c8g?

I also just got this tube used and was wondering if this is ok? the odd pattern is inside of the tube.

The WA5 can use the Tak 274B. I wouldn't mix NU and TS 6c8g. They both have a different sound so that would probably be a little weird. I'm assuming since their both type 6c8g electrically they'll be compatible. For the used tube, I'd plug it in and listen to it if you don't have a tube tester. I'm guessing it's probably okay.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #38,268 of 42,298
Hey guys,
I have a wa7, this is my first tube amp. I started to hear noise when I turned the volume to about 90% . Anything I should worry about?

Hey, Welcome to the tube amp club.

Noise is fairly common when you throw power through tubes. You kinda get use to things like that. Try high gain so you use less volume.

Pops, crackles, hum and noise is part of tubes. They come and go. Usually things improve as tubes age.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #38,269 of 42,298

Hey, Welcome to the tube amp club.

Noise is fairly common when you throw power through tubes. You kinda get use to things like that. Try high gain so you use less volume.

Pops, crackles, hum and noise is part of tubes. They come and go. Usually things improve as tubes age.

+1 my Sophia electric RP's pretty much scream at you when warming up.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #38,270 of 42,298
Hey guys,
I have a wa7, this is my first tube amp. I started to hear noise when I turned the volume to about 90% . Anything I should worry about?

Your hearing. 
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #38,272 of 42,298
^

LOL, true enough.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Happened to mine too at like 80-100% volume, I e-mailed Mr. Woo about it and he said it may be due to close proximity to other electronics, specifically the WA7tp seeing as tubes are sensitive and pick up noise quite easily. I moved a bunch of components out of the way and it was pretty much completely gone.

Another thing to note is the noise is there regardless after having just turned the amp on - from my tests it seems to take around 30 minutes to an hour for it to be completely gone.

This is basically a non-issue because you'll never be having the amp on 90% unless your source is somehow almost muted but still, nice to know there's nothing to worry about. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #38,275 of 42,298
I have a wireless mouse right next to it...

Yea I don't know if that can affect it, I assume it can, might be best to e-mail Woo Audio support about that specifically. I had it right next to the PSU and both of the units literally 2 inches from my computer and moving the WA7 to the opposite side of my desk solved it (my computer case is on top of my desk).

Then again I don't think it's detrimental to the amp or tubes' health regardless - if it's just at 90% volume I really don't think it'll influence the performance or affect the amp/tube's longevity. I'm far from an expert though, as said contacting Woo might be the best thing to do, just throwing in my 2 cents so that you don't feel like you have to stress it.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #38,277 of 42,298
Hey guys,

90% volume is not normal listening level. Any amplifier would have some noise at nearly full throttle... It's like driving your car at 7,000 RPM. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #38,279 of 42,298

The Local store received my TA-300B pair and started burning them in. he will ship it once they have 100 hours.

i hope i will try them next Sunday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back