Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 24, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #38,206 of 42,298
  so same as the WA7? 8 hours then 15 min break for the tubes to cool down? then another session? at least this was the WA7's case.

We say that to be on the safe side so people don't leave the amp ON 24/7 and unattended. Just use it as normal, power OFF when not in use for an extended period of time (beyond 30 min.).

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #38,207 of 42,298
old post

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #38,208 of 42,298
  I have a question. It seems like a lot of people, if they own a Woo Audio product, own the WA6 or WA6 SE, The Fireflies have had a big sales success but that's another story. Not a Woo Audio owner yet, I'm more partial to the WA22. So what's the deal with that? Why do people prefer the WA6/SE over the WA22? Even on Youtube there has been only one video from Thailand until last month when someone else finally posted a WA22 review. Any comments about this? Why don't you head-fiers like the WA22?

I feel it's more economy related rather than head-fiers being partial to their "lower" tier products - I personally own the Fireflies, my budget currently does not extend much over a grand unfortunately. If it did however, and for those that do have more means than I, the market is a bit broader when it comes to options around 2k+. I was literally just having this conversation in another thread last night, once you step into that zone names like Eddie Current ZDS, Stratus, etc start popping up and questions are raised.

If you go over that price pool you'll start entering WA5LE territory and you'll see interest is peaked again, as it stands between the aforementioned 2-3k and the 5k+ Apex Teton and Viva amps. As someone on that other thread put it, the 1-2k field is a bit of a "purgatory" when it comes to tube amplification devices, I (at least partially) agree with that notion. Of course that's not to say I dislike the WA22, as a Woo customer I'm 100% certain it is extremely competent as that it perfectly excels at its job as does my WA7, but point still stands.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #38,210 of 42,298
I have a question. It seems like a lot of people, if they own a Woo Audio product, own the WA6 or WA6 SE, The Fireflies have had a big sales success but that's another story. Not a Woo Audio owner yet, I'm more partial to the WA22. So what's the deal with that? Why do people prefer the WA6/SE over the WA22? Even on Youtube there has been only one video from Thailand until last month when someone else finally posted a WA22 review. Any comments about this? Why don't you head-fiers like the WA22?

Quite a few WA22 owners post on here.

Stacks of WA22 owners here. Fantastic amp. WA22 in the back of this pic.

For all you Melody Gardot fans (there is a few of us). Tony and I watched her bluray of her concert in Paris last night. Fantastic stuff. Highly recommended. All her good music with a slightly faster more upbeat feel to it. A lot more of a blues / Jazz beat. Some extremely talented musicians with her also. One guy played two saxophones at the same time on one track.
Interestingly there is two sound mixes on the disc. 2 channel and DTSHDMA. Which is great. I used DTS for the Home Theatre and I'm now using 2 channel for headphones. So a dual purpose disc.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #38,211 of 42,298

I still love and use my WA22 even though i moved on to the Eddie Current BA. WA22 is a killer amp!

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #38,212 of 42,298
  ordered TA-300B from the local store here, i  will have it by the 10th,
beyersmile.png
evil_smiley.gif
atsmile.gif

since i asked for that date, before that i will be busy. we have Ramadan (holy month) and AL Eid coming after it, so won't be able to use it till the 10th -.-''

btw people how long can i keep the WA5-LE on?? want to burn in the tubes and give them 100 hours. also do i need to keep the music on loop + low volume?  and with or without headphones? 

Great, you made a decision! 
beerchug.gif
  I'm sure you'll be very happy with that combination, you may even discover other music genera that you'll like in addition to  J-POP.
L3000.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #38,213 of 42,298

For all you Melody Gardot fans (there is a few of us). Tony and I watched her bluray of her concert in Paris last night. Fantastic stuff. Highly recommended. All her good music with a slightly faster more upbeat feel to it. A lot more of a blues / Jazz beat. Some extremely talented musicians with her also. One guy played two saxophones at the same time on one track.
Interestingly there is two sound mixes on the disc. 2 channel and DTSHDMA. Which is great. I used DTS for the Home Theatre and I'm now using 2 channel for headphones. So a dual purpose disc.

Good to know, thanks!

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #38,214 of 42,298

Great, you made a decision! 
beerchug.gif
  I'm sure you'll be very happy with that combination, you may even discover other music genera that you'll like in addition to  J-POP.
L3000.gif

still this post from @Fririce0003 make me feel kind of worried O-o''

Mullard Metal Bases, Takatsuki 300B, TSRP: The Takatsukis were practically fresh out of the box at the time, we tried this combo whilst they were still fresh and didn't go back so take this with a grain of salt as the Takatsuki's improved vastly with every hour we put on them.
  The Takatsuki added extra bass to the mix but lost some control over it compared to the Elrog there was some bloom present. The soundstage was spread out a tad and there was a euphonic nature to the music. The Mullards and Takatsukis seemed to just be a miss match, in terms of speed and sound characteristics. It was a disappointing result given the amount of money and effort that took place to get these tubes. So we hurried to switch in the Takatsuki rectifiers in the hopes that they would be voiced to complement each other.... And we were greatly rewarded.

so in case i didn't like the sound then i will pair the TA-300B with Brimar 5z4gy and try to compare the differences.

the TA-247 will be ordered later next month. i mean 1850$ XD got to wait :p 

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #38,216 of 42,298
can anyone tell me about the C3G driver tubes? how does it sound on the WA5-LE? planing to pair it with the Metal Base GZ34/TA-300B

i will need an adapter with them too right?

i found C3G TELEFUNKEN and C3G SIEMENS , different sound or similar?  

for EDM and J-pop i should go with Raytheon VT-231? since its brighter and more dynamic etc.

dang i want to test all the options XD

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #38,217 of 42,298
can anyone tell me about the C3G driver tubes? how does it sound on the WA5-LE? planing to pair it with the Metal Base GZ34/TA-300B

i will need an adapter with them too right?

i found C3G TELEFUNKEN and C3G SIEMENS , different sound or similar?  

for EDM and J-pop i should go with Raytheon VT-231? since its brighter and more dynamic etc.

dang i want to test all the options XD

For me C3G, and takatsuki 300B/274B is my favourite combi. I like the metal base in other amps like my apex Teton, but on my wa5 I prefer the takatsuki rectifier.

I've heard most if not all C3G's are similar sounding, btw.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #38,218 of 42,298
thanks for the info, guess i will start with Raytheon VT-231 first, as it will contribute to the sound sig which i am after.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #38,220 of 42,298
  For the WA5-LE version 2, are the rectifier tubes required to be matched pairs?

I talked to Jack about this before, and the answer is no, but never hut to check again, also this is with v1, but I fairly that hasn't changed.  I think the two tubes are wired in series, so just be sure you have the same type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back