Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #38,101 of 42,298
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but as it ends up with a glowing review of the WA22 I'll put it here. I brought the WA22 into the downstairs room this morning to give it a proper comparison against the Allnic HPA-3000. I was also comparing the 6BL7 tubes against other tubes. The short story is that with the 6BL7 tubes the bass is very, very good with the WA22. I was listening to music from electronic to blues and the bass was consistently good. Bass guitars, synths, techno  beats and drums were hitting all the right spots. Very smooth and lush. The HPA-3000 is very good, but doesn't sound as smooth as the WA22 in this regard. 

WA22 config: Matching quad GE 1963 6BL7, Osram B65, Western 274A.  

I've also rolled in much cheaper tubes than the B65 and 274A, and they still sound good with the 6BL7's.

Pic to show the "comparison room" (Woo on the far right).

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #38,102 of 42,298
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but as it ends up with a glowing review of the WA22 I'll put it here. I brought the WA22 into the downstairs room this morning to give it a proper comparison against the Allnic HPA-3000. I was also comparing the 6BL7 tubes against other tubes. The short story is that with the 6BL7 tubes the bass is very, very good with the WA22. I was listening to music from electronic to blues and the bass was consistently good. Bass guitars, synths, techno  beats and drums were hitting all the right spots. Very smooth and lush. The HPA-3000 is very good, but doesn't sound as smooth as the WA22 in this regard. 

WA22 config: Matching quad GE 1963 6BL7, Osram B65, Western 274A.  

I've also rolled in much cheaper tubes than the B65 and 274A, and they still sound good with the 6BL7's.

Pic to show the "comparison room" (Woo on the far right).

Geez. Nice McIntosh gear. I also spot a Marantz AVR or preamp and bloody nice speakers. Not sure what the speakers are but they look the bomb. Congrats that setup would be top level.

I'm also noticing speed on 6BL7 tubes. I've been wondering what the X factor was on these tubes. You can get power tubes with very nice sound signatures but they seem to be lacking in something that the 6BL7's do. I now think that something is speed. I'm getting solid state speed from my WA22 with bass impact and warm mellow tone. Everything. It sounds great on everything as well.

I'm using a mix of 6BL7 tubes in each socket. One cheap side getter RCA and one Sylvania in each socket. Mixing the sound. Then Tung-Sol round plate 6C8G and either the TAK274B or Brimar 5Z4GY. Brimar this morning.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #38,103 of 42,298
Marantz pre-processor/preamp (for movies). Obviously I'd like a Mac pre-processor, but I can't justify the extra price simply to watch movies with. I'm quite content with Dolby DTS, so perhaps when the price comes down a bit more in a few years I'll get one then. B&W 804S speakers. The two Mac amps on the left are almost as old as me :), but my local techs have done some nice work on them. The only thing that I purchased new is the D100 DAC.

I think I know what you mean about the "speed" of the sound. I also listened with some really fast music, and to my ears the WA22 certainly kept up and played everything as it should. I did quick comparisons against the main amps and speakers.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #38,105 of 42,298

From what I've read (not heard them) the best are Takatsuki and Elrog. Then the EML are the best of the rest. I went for the EML 300B. I'm happy with them and they were a nice bump up from stock for a lot cheaper than going with the Taks.

I thought the Sophia Royal Princess were light years better than the EML 300B solid plates.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #38,106 of 42,298
btw guys about the taka300b/tak247 set, on the wa5-le would you describe the sound sig as laid back? forward? neither this or that?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #38,107 of 42,298
Brimar is a stunning looking tube. Amazing construction. It is what caught my interest originally.

I like the looks more when you put a couple hundred hours on them. The top chromes and the whole tube tints. Looks mean.

I must roll this bad boy back in. It competes with the TAK274B really well. Brimar gets scary close.

I really like this tube, too.
It is in four of my amps—Woo and non-Woo.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #38,108 of 42,298
I remember when I had the wa22 I liked it but wondered what it would sound like modded for a little more power and dynamics. I think seamaster modded one to that extent. I don't think a premium parts upgrade was ever offered.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #38,110 of 42,298
I remember when I had the wa22 I liked it but wondered what it would sound like modded for a little more power and dynamics. I think seamaster modded one to that extent. I don't think a premium parts upgrade was ever offered.

Just add 4 6BL7's.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #38,113 of 42,298
I'd love to compare my pimped out WA22 to a pimped out WA5. My local store has the WA22 but not the WA5.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #38,114 of 42,298
  I'd love to compare my pimped out WA22 to a pimped out WA5. My local store has the WA22 but not the WA5.

Rest assured. There is not a lot in it. I've listened to Tony's pimped out WA5 many a time. My WA22 with the Quad 6BL7's is now within a hair of how that sounds.

Pimped WA5 sounds a little bit leaner with just slightly more treble detail. Pimped out WA22 sounds warmer.

WA22 didn't really get close until the 6BL7 tubes. WA5 always had that 300B power tube advantage. Not anymore.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #38,115 of 42,298

Rest assured. There is not a lot in it. I've listened to Tony's pimped out WA5 many a time. My WA22 with the Quad 6BL7's is now within a hair of how that sounds.

Pimped WA5 sounds a little bit leaner with just slightly more treble detail. Pimped out WA22 sounds warmer.

WA22 didn't really get close until the 6BL7 tubes. WA5 always had that 300B power tube advantage. Not anymore.

I think the wa2, wa22 or wa5 are all enjoyable even though of course people can certainly say one is more "technically" whatever than another.
I never used the 6sl7 with the wa22 but I really liked the lushness of the midrange but wanted a little more 3d in the x,y,z axis- the wa5 does that but without the wa22 lush midrange but a lush midrange sound sig unique to the wa5.
I was thinking you could probably do that to the wa22 with customization or an upgrade package etc but I don't think woo audio ever offered it because it would take sales away from the wa5 v.1 but now that the wa5 v.2 price has increased so dramatically ($6000) it might be a good move for them to offer one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back