Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #37,981 of 42,298

LOL.....  I would DEFINITELY NOT be in the phone booth. 
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't even be in the same country as the phone booth.

May 18, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #37,984 of 42,298

The important thing to know: There's always a better headphone, better DAC, better amp.  You can sink tens of thousands of dollars into the hobby and still not be satisfied.  Sometimes you'll come to realize that you're pursuing different, not necessarily better.  That's a good distinction to learn.

Find what pleases you, and stick with it until you want to go in a new direction.  I'd advise buying used gear in good condition.  Look for deals.  

Along with that patience to wait. I looked around for a used Yggdrasil one day and didn't find one. Got a new one on the way to evaluate. I hope I like it as much as all the hype says I should.

I feel almost uncomfortable for asking a newby question here!
rolleyes.gif
 Thing is that I am contemplating purchasing the WA22 or the WA5-LE. Do I need a dac in the chain or can it be left out? What are the pro or cons? As source I plan to use a Soundaware Esther M1pro (DAP). I love that analogue sound of the DAP, so if I can leave a DAC out that would be great. The idea is not to place to much in the signal path that will change the sound signature that I like so much about this DAP. The DAP has a amplifier out connection btw.

I have a WA5 and a Cowon P1. I tried using the Cowon as a source and I didn't like it as much as a dedicated setup. I would say if you aspire to have something more top of the line some day you could go for the WA5-LE as a planning-for-the-future move. If you're just going to use your DAP I'd probably aim more towards the WA22. If you go too high-end on your desktop setup it might also change your perspective on your DAP.

I just watched a You Tube video trying to dispel audiophile myths. Based on that I can warn you ahead of time, don't waste your HD space by getting lossless music, go mp3 as no human can tell the difference, run far away from tubes they're all terrible and destroy the audio and are horribly inefficient, don't spend more than $300 on your solid state amp, etc... oh if I only had seen this video first, how much time and money could I have saved. *sigh*  ...but their recommendations are not consistent with the jaw dropping amazement that was induced by listening to my fancy higher end setup. People spend their money on all kinds of things. I think I could do worse than this hobby.

May 19, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #37,988 of 42,298

Awesome.  Thanks for your input!  Do you think you can do better with a different DAC? 

What other DACs have you used with the WA22 and how do they compare to the yggy and gumby?

The Bimby as well, the only other dac i wish i tried was a lampi gen 4, the gumby is warmish kinda to the yggy, there is a difference, however the yggy just sounds so well how do i put this "right" like its just this massive music block of wonders thats accurate,and analytical but its polite about it. so it has its own great sound that compliments the WA22's lush gooey tube sound in a great way. the gumby is also fantactic but its warmer and just doesn't have the same effect, but instead has its own lush sound that goes with the wa22 in its own way.

May 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #37,989 of 42,298
   The Bimby as well, the only other dac i wish i tried was a lampi gen 4, the gumby is warmish kinda to the yggy, there is a difference, however the yggy just sounds so well how do i put this "right" like its just this massive music block of wonders thats accurate,and analytical but its polite about it. so it has its own great sound that compliments the WA22's lush gooey tube sound in a great way. the gumby is also fantactic but its warmer and just doesn't have the same effect, but instead has its own lush sound that goes with the wa22 in its own way.

They both sound like fabulous DACs.  I am leaning toward the yggy from your description.  Which headphones do you use?

May 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #37,992 of 42,298
well the HEK for me is perfect everyones ears are different though. i also really like the HD800's! i think the HEK's are just sonically superior in almost every way except sound staging and treble. YMMV i just really love my HEK's but if i did not have the money i would still have my HD800's and i would not have any complaints. the WA22 just drives both HP's to amazing levels and with all the tube options out there, the sound can just be changed at a moments notice! just fantastic!

May 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #37,993 of 42,298
  well the HEK for me is perfect everyones ears are different though. i also really like the HD800's! i think the HEK's are just sonically superior in almost every way except sound staging and treble. YMMV i just really love my HEK's but if i did not have the money i would still have my HD800's and i would not have any complaints. the WA22 just drives both HP's to amazing levels and with all the tube options out there, the sound can just be changed at a moments notice! just fantastic!

Ok now my wallet is starting to SCREAM!!!!!  LOL. What do you think made the biggest impact in your sound quality, the HEK or the yggy?

May 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #37,995 of 42,298
Latest tubes added to the collection... Tung-Sol BGRP 6SU7GT stamped as 5691. Bought these on a lark after seeing someone here talk about the WE422A/TS5998/TS6SU7GT combo. Initial impression is good but haven't listened much yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back