Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #36,376 of 42,298
  Looks like it's not too hard to do it myself by ordering 4 of the .33uF caps (save myself $100 on labor). Does it make a huge difference in the coupling section when swapping out the stock ones?

the caps in the newer version of the WA22 (with phrase spliter), is using a 0.47uF cap. i changed mine to a 0.22uF cap. There is a good change in the sound stage when the coupling cap is swap out, Jupiter caps have a nice warm, natural and rich sound, without slouching on the details.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #36,377 of 42,298
  the caps in the newer version of the WA22 (with phrase spliter), is using a 0.47uF cap. i changed mine to a 0.22uF cap. There is a good change in the sound stage when the coupling cap is swap out, Jupiter caps have a nice warm, natural and rich sound, without slouching on the details.

Well that's cool to know I always wondered if their was much of a change in sq after replacing those caps..

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #36,379 of 42,298

The step up to those big tubes- whether 2a3, 300b or 445- is likely to be very noticeable over both the WA6 and WA22. Given you're going for a totl bhse, I'd probably pump for the wa5 if I were you.

"Big tubes" start at the 300B. Real men go for the 845
wink_face.gif

This is going to be heresy in the Woo thread, but I am going to say it anyway. After investing a great deal of time and money in tubes and tube amps over the past 3 years I am done. I have found, in the Violectric V281, a solid state amp that comes ever so close to the very best tube amp I have ever heard (Glenn 300B - an amp that eats the WA5 for breakfast) in the things that tubes do so well (holographic effect + warmth) and retains the detail and dynamics of solid state. It really is like having your cake and eating it too, at a fraction of the price. Add in close to 100% reliability and close to zero warm up time and I am out of the tube game. Give me a V281 + HE6/HD800S and I am done.

Tony...If you are not going to be using the 300B amp....I will gladly take a couple of pair of Telefunken PY500 off of your hands, that is if you are willing to ship to the states.

Fair enough....keep me in mind, I can put them to good use.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #36,383 of 42,298
Ahh ok...that must hurt your feelings pretty bad considering how desired the amp is. I feel for you, brother..

Having a V281 is nice SS alternative. I never thought I would find a SS amp that competes with high end tubes units, but the V281 made me rethink all that.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #36,384 of 42,298
Having a V281 is nice SS alternative. I never thought I would find a SS amp that competes with high end tubes units, but the V281 made me rethink all that.

When I'm in the market for a nice higher end tube amp, you come along and sing praises of the V281 :sweat_smile: But don't you miss the tube rolling and tube hunting adventures? What will you do with your stash of prized tubes?

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #36,386 of 42,298
When I'm in the market for a nice higher end tube amp, you come along and sing praises of the V281 :sweat_smile: But don't you miss the tube rolling and tube hunting adventures? What will you do with your stash of prized tubes?

Sell some off. Sit on some others for 5 - 10 years and see what happens.

NU / TS RP in 6F8G / 6C8G prices are starting to go nuts. C3G might go the same way soon as more amp designers start using them.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #36,388 of 42,298
Hello everyone, I've been reading Head-fi off and on for years. I wanted to know what I was missing in the high end. I went ahead and got the updated WA5 back in August. It's been great. Now that I have some more experience under my belt I find myself frustrated with the tube search. I'm still running stock. Every time I think about trying something I stop because of all the contrasted opinions along with warnings about sellers on eBay and being careful that you may not get what you think you are getting etc. I don't feel confident in any moves yet.

In the interim I got a Cowon P1 DAP. I really like this thing too. Contrasting to the WA5 I wonder if the WA5 isn't just overkill/too much amp for me. I feel overwhelmed with the tube choices and don't know where to go with it. I'm almost considering putting it up for sale. Maybe solid state is the way to go. No fuss. Then again I have mood swings and maybe that would be the wrong move and I'd regret it. I talked myself into the WA5 thinking that as a platform it would allow me to use any range of headphone I might desire to get. I suppose my frustration is in the stock form maybe I'm not getting the full potential yet I don't know enough about the tubes and options to step in any new direction... I think I'm happy with my Cowon P1 too. Weighing them side by side the WA5 is a little bit better but comparing $800 to $5900 seems unbalanced to me. Shouldn't the WA5 kill it (I have a nice Mytek DAC in front of it)? I would also have to admit I don't have the most trained ears of the bunch here. Far from it. I really noticed the change with new DAC and headphones. The amp less so.

After spending nearly $6k on the amp I haven't worked up the will to spend nearly $4k on the fancy Takatsuki tubes... Maybe one question, are there any posts or info out there that describes the impact to sound of the different tubes (300b, 6sn7, 5u4g). What's most important to upgrade first etc? I was reading about these Sophia 6sn7s on that 6sn7 Tube Addicts thread along with Ken-Rads and that sounded good but then some of these I've read don't always work well with every amp etc. Bah. anyways... Hello Woo owners :)

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #36,390 of 42,298
  WA22/WA5/WA5-LE/WA6/WA6-SE…but all need an adapter depending on the amp either 8-8pin or 8-9 pin.

Sounds right to me. Anything that a 6SN7 could be used for, as best I understand it, can also take a 6F8G, and usually a 6C8G as well (they have about 20 - 30% more gain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back