Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #35,956 of 42,298
Or that time of the month
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
Everyone is nasty today. Even my Woo friends.
deadhorse.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #35,958 of 42,298
I never thought the gain vs cost was there that's just my 2 cents

Do you mean upgrading to "salon components" in general, or Duelund compared to other vendors?

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #35,960 of 42,298
I think I'm going to start saving up for a tube amp, and I'd like it to be a Woo. The entire technology suite is daunting to me, though. 

In looking through Woo's product pages, the biggest question I have is, what is the difference between the amps that come as a single piece (like the WA22), or those that come in two pieces (like the 5 or 5E)?

I'd also like to find descriptions of the different functions of rectifier, power, and driver tubes, and maybe some opinions about which make the biggest difference in terms of upgrade benefit. 

Thanks a lot for any input. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #35,961 of 42,298
I think I'm going to start saving up for a tube amp, and I'd like it to be a Woo. The entire technology suite is daunting to me, though. 

In looking through Woo's product pages, the biggest question I have is, what is the difference between the amps that come as a single piece (like the WA22), or those that come in two pieces (like the 5 or 5E)?

I'd also like to find descriptions of the different functions of rectifier, power, and driver tubes, and maybe some opinions about which make the biggest difference in terms of upgrade benefit. 

Thanks a lot for any input. 
Minot even going to attempt to answer all those questions but first things first - do you have any headphones that you are enjoying and /or sticking with or any you are looking at?

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #35,962 of 42,298
And no doubt you've seen this link earlier in this thread too

http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #35,964 of 42,298
Yeah, I saw that. Doesn't really answer my questions. 

To answer yours, I listen to Alpha Primes or Ethers out of a Chord Hugo and soon a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. 
Well this is where I get off. As I've not heard either of those.

The only thing i can add, which you probably already know, is don't bother looking at the wa2. Good luck

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #35,965 of 42,298
Well this is where I get off. As I've not heard either of those.

The only thing i can add, which you probably already know, is don't bother looking at the wa2. Good luck

Thx. I'm not looking for advice so much as general information about the designs (single vs double unit, etc.) and the explanations about what roles the various tube types play in crafting the sound. The entire subject is pretty daunting. Interesting, but daunting. :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #35,966 of 42,298
Had the chance to listen to the Viva Egoista with the Abyss headphones, did a brief write up of the sound compared to the 234's in the Abyss thread which you all might like. Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666765/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread/3465#post_12158256

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #35,967 of 42,298
Howdy,

So stupid me didn't read all the fine print and ordered up the WA22.  Now that I have it, I am wondering what everyone tend to recommend for the power cord?  Just a nice 12-14 gauge OEM style like with most electronics?  I was looking at the Pangea and Shunyata Venom but not sure if I need the 9E for the former or the HC for the latter.  My home setup uses Lessloss but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cord for this amp.

Cheers,
-H

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #35,968 of 42,298
  Howdy,

So stupid me didn't read all the fine print and ordered up the WA22.  Now that I have it, I am wondering what everyone tend to recommend for the power cord?  Just a nice 12-14 gauge OEM style like with most electronics?  I was looking at the Pangea and Shunyata Venom but not sure if I need the 9E for the former or the HC for the latter.  My home setup uses Lessloss but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cord for this amp.

Cheers,
-H

I have the oem chord and tried an upgraded chord and dont here a difference but as they say YMMV .personnally i would spend the money on better tubes 

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #35,969 of 42,298
  Howdy,

Cheers,
-H

(HERE) you go.
Congratulations on the WA22.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #35,970 of 42,298
  I have the oem chord and tried an upgraded chord and dont here a difference but as they say YMMV .personnally i would spend the money on better tubes 

Probably...I have some tubes that I can try from my home system.  I think it should fit (Tung Sol 6F8G w/ Woo adapters, CV181II-T, Sophia Prince 6SN7, EML 5U4G, and Philips 5R4GYS).  No power tubes though...

(HERE) you go.
Congratulations on the WA22.

Yeah, thanks.  I also got tons of those OEM stuff from doing IT.  :)  Weirdly, on the home system, I do hear sonic difference with power cords and, weirdly, fuses.  But I'm not going there with this.

-H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back