Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #33,931 of 42,298
NU 6C8G work fine in the WA5.

The NU 6F8G does not work in the WA5 as driving the 300Bs is too much for them and they go noisey as a MF.

The NU 6C8Gs have a slightly higher rating and can do the heavy lifting the 300Bs require.

Never seen an NU 6SL7, so can't comment on that.

I am using a TS RP 6SL7 in my WA5 right now - loving it.

Any other good 6c8s
Also I have a pair of 6sl7 nu on the way. I'll let you know how they sound.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #33,932 of 42,298
Any other good 6c8s
Also I have a pair of 6sl7 nu on the way. I'll let you know how they sound.

NU's are a bargain.

Yes please tell.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #33,934 of 42,298
Anyone heard firve tubes?

Yes. A Italian manufacturer that marketed themselves to be as good as American made tubes. Their old posters are a riot.

I have some Fivre rectifiers. I like better than the Mullard GZ32 but not as much as the Brimar 5Z4GY.

I noticed the talk on the 6SN7 thread about the Fivre drivers. Is that why you are asking?

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #33,936 of 42,298

HD600 will be a great pairing with the WA2. I was just hoping you weren't expecting the WA2 to power a HE-6 for example.
rolleyes.gif

Yes it is. It can be fun but hard on your wallet. I do like when you find gems at reasonable prices tho.

LOL  I know better than to expect almost anything to fully power the HE6. I got lazy didn't want to keep switching my speaker cables and HE6 cables in the back of my one and only stereo amp (Emotiva), so I settled back on to the HD600. The magnepans can certainly satisfy my thirst for planar magnetic detail. 

I've been using a hybrid tube design called Project Ember by Garage1217 which I will always keep because it is so versatile. In fact, I have a hard time justifying the expense of the WA3 over the Project Ember. However, curiosity got the better of me and I want to see just how much tube amps can create a more holographic/3D effect without having to upgrade to an end game DAC ( I currently have an Uber Bifrost).  At the point where I would have the funds to buy a $2,000 + tube amp, Id rather buy the Schiit Yggdrasil. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #33,937 of 42,298
I just ordered a pair of the nu 6c8g's very anxious on hearing them I'll certainly let you know my thoughts on them, there sure a lot less in cost then the 6f8g's that part makes me smile..

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #33,938 of 42,298
Yes. A Italian manufacturer that marketed themselves to be as good as American made tubes. Their old posters are a riot.

I have some Fivre rectifiers. I like better than the Mullard GZ32 but not as much as the Brimar 5Z4GY.

I noticed the talk on the 6SN7 thread about the Fivre drivers. Is that why you are asking?

Got ya. Yes I was just wondering about the drivers.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #33,939 of 42,298
I just ordered a pair of the nu 6c8g's very anxious on hearing them I'll certainly let you know my thoughts on them, there sure a lot less in cost then the 6f8g's that part makes me smile..

Got mine
Just waiting on Glenn's adapters

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #33,940 of 42,298

The 6F8g's were so much better than all of the 6SN7 types I had listened to. Even the worst 6F8G was better than the best 6SN7 I had heard.

I have the NU 6F8g and 6C8g and they sound exactly the same. Construction is absolutely the same as well. Only the heater voltage is suppose to be different. For the record the RCA 6C8g with the NU style plates is nice as well. Just a tad dryer.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #33,943 of 42,298
I've had the HE-1000 for about a month, I've done an extensive burn-in, and I'm ready to give some sound impressions on the HE-1000.  

They're paired with the Woo Audio WA5LE with Elrog 300B, GZ-34 metal base rectifiers (from 1957), and RCA 6SN7 drivers.  The only tube swapping I've done along the way is swapping the 596 for the GZ-34 early on. Signal path: My rig is set for both digital files and LPs.  The digital rig is a MacBook Pro > Wyred4Sound DAC2 > WA5LE.  The analog rig is VPI Scout > Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge > Clearaudio Basic+ battery phono stage > WA5LE.  

My reference headphone is the Sennheiser HD-800.  I've spent years with the Sennheiser, and frankly, I've been perfectly happy with them.  This opportunity to beta test the HE-1000 came up, and I couldn't pass it up.  My previous impressions of the HE-1000 were at CanJam Los Angeles.  The headphone was a bit warm on the ear, and I was a bit stuck with the lack of musical selection, so while I was impressed by the overall quality of the HE, I didn't have a decent sense of their true character because the music selections were extremely eclectic, and I wasn't familiar with the recordings.  

Notice: I'm under a bit of an non-disclosure regarding construction of the headphone and packaging, it is a beta, and there will be a changes to the final production models.  I will simply say: Everything about the presentation of this headphone is of the highest order and quality. 

The sound out of the headphone changes dramatically as they break in.  Out of the box the bass was so overdriving, it was almost comical.  I pulled the GZ-34 (a hefty bass presence tube) out of the WA5-LE and exchanged them for the 596 (more delicate controlled bass) to get everything under control.  It was simply dominant up until the 48-hour mark.  The HE was terrific at low volumes-- but if you did some rocking out, the bass was of "Beats-ian" proportions, initially.  The break-in was done with several white/pink noise sweep files.  I've used this technique on every pair of high end headphones and it's never let me down.

Bass is really what sets this headphone apart.  If you're looking for deep, quality, fast bass, the HE steps up.  Full bodied down to the lowest of lows, the HE delivers on bass.  I was thrilled once the break-in was over, and I switched back to the GZ-34.  It's full, rich, surrounding, and detailed.  Best bass experience I've had in a headphone.  (Let me stress-- I don't have a lot of listening time on the Stax or LCD3, so it's not fair for me to comment.)

Treble is crisp and shiny.  It's a glossy treble.  The greatest concern has been regarding snare drums.  The HE was lacking snap and impact on the snare.  It was a definite problem area until the headphone broke in, and it continues to improve as I log hours on them.  I confess I wish there were as much snare impact as there is on toms and bass drums.  But finger-picked strings and brass fare quite well.  

Mids seem slightly recessed.  It's not wrong, but it makes the sound a bit warmer in presentation than neutral.  With the mids recessed slightly, there's a bit more of a surround quality to the sound, and there's a bit of darkness to the headphone that's actually quite inviting.

Imaging- other than bass, this is the area which most impresses me about the HE-1000.  I've never heard a headphone image as well as the HE-1000.  You can pinpoint every single instrument in a 3D space.  It's uncanny, and realistic.  If you are into imaging, this headphone will simply dazzle your brain.  It's a sensory delight.

Soundstage- Soundstage is wide-- but it's not the most expansive headphone I've ever heard.  My belief is that soundstage is a tradeoff the HE makes for its unparalleled imaging.  Because every instrument and voice has such a specific location, you don't have a sense that the space around your head is infinite.  

My overall impression is that the HE is a headphone for listening to and enjoying music.  I wouldn't call the HE the a neutral headphone, it's a bit on the warm side of neutral to my ears.  This is not a knock or a bad thing.  It's simply a characteristic.  Neutral headphones should be used in a recording studio, not at home enjoying a great piece of classical music, chilling to Miles, or relaxing to The Beatles.  I don't need a clinical assessment of my music, I want to enjoy it.  Enjoying music is what the HE is all about.

Shootout Comparison: One thing I kept doing (and continue to do) is A/B the HE with the Sennheiser HD800.  And what I'm about to write surprised me:  The Sennheiser holds its own against the HifiMan.  They are different headphones, but I was shocked that the HEs didn't make me want to chuck my HDs out the window.  I enjoy each of them for different reasons, and both headphones deliver cohesive, enjoyable music.

Where the HE has this spot-on imaging, the HD has a wider soundstage that goes on forever.  The HD floats the mids delicately in the middle of your brain, the HE pinpoints everything.  Neither is necessarily better than the other, it's just a different experience.  There are things I appreciate about each headphone, and that's a bit credit to Sennheiser that their aging flagship is still relevant in an era of wafer thin diaphragm magnetic planars and electrostats.  I wouldn't think one crazy for selecting the HD800 over the HE-1000.  

The HD800 cannot compete with the HE on bass.  The HD800 cannot compete with the HE on imaging.  But the HD is better through the midrange.  The HD has a wider soundstage.  The HD is slightly better with female vocals and percussion impact in the upper frequencies.  The HE is better with male vocals and anything recorded with the microphone close.  Both are world-class headphones, and that is a good thing.  For now, my personal selection is the HE, but that's probably because it's new.  I would be perfectly happy with either headphone.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #33,944 of 42,298
Where can I find Takatsukis online?  I only have a Japanese website.  Is there a US distributor?

Thinking about 274Bs.  I'm one of the few who have had nothing but success with Elrogs.

Only two ways to order them are through price Japan or directly from amtrans in person which means going to Akihabara in Japan. The only distributor for Takatsuki is Amtrans and price Japan buys from them then chuck on a handling fee. Doesn't seem like they're too keen on getting global distributors either.... I gotta plan another trip to Japan :D

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #33,945 of 42,298
Only two ways to order them are through price Japan or directly from amtrans in person which means going to Akihabara in Japan. The only distributor for Takatsuki is Amtrans and price Japan buys from them then chuck on a handling fee. Doesn't seem like they're too keen on getting global distributors either.... I gotta plan another trip to Japan
biggrin.gif

Or ya gotta know the right people ...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back