Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #33,526 of 42,298
Well, the OP didn't mention a budget so I'll chime in and say that my GEC 6AS7G's are dead quiet and an ideal match for the HD800's. However, I see the OP has LCD3's and for me, there is just something wrong with that combination. Can't really put my finger on it but listener fatigue sets in pretty quick. In my WA22 the TS 5998's are a much better match with the LCD3's. And for drivers with either headphone they'll have to pry my TS 6F8G's out of my cold, dead hands. YMMV.

Absolutely. Amazing driver. Nothing gets close (maybe the NU).

I would love to try the GEC 6AS7G or TS 5998. $$'s are not permitting. I did find on the WA22 the power tubes had the least effect on sound. So I will only try them only if $$'s come my way.

May 12, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #33,527 of 42,298
My WA22 should be arriving this week.

I'm excited but also now second guessing my choice after just being wowed today by my friend's new GSX mk2 which sounded phenomenal driving my LCD XC.

Did I make the right choice? LOL why do I do this to myself?! :)

I also have an Auralic Vega en route, after being wowed by that when I listened to it extensively at Axpona. So what do you all think about this combo: Vega --> WA22 --> LCD XC/TH900. Will this keep me happy for a while? Or at least for a few months? :wink: My wife wants to know badly so I'll stop obsessing over it already.

I'm sure it will bring me smiles either way. Plus, I can look forward to some tube rolling adventures that will help me get the sound that works for me. Can't do that with a GSX mk2. This thread is a great resource... I have already bookmarked a bunch of posts about various tubes to try in the future.

May 12, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #33,529 of 42,298
My WA22 should be arriving this week.

Congrats, welcome to the woo club. I don't have the gsx2, so can't comment. I would recommend you compare with the stock tubes and see for yourself. If it's better than the gsx, good. If not, don't worry as the wa22 scales well with better tubes.

May 13, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #33,530 of 42,298
A few weeks ago we were talking about the Glenn adapters and were told of a different style cap he could offer.

Well I received them last night. Once again. Stella work from Glenn. Thank you Glenn, I appreciate it.

A few pics:

New (Black base, black wire and NOS older style cap.) on left. Older (black base, red wire and white caps) on Right.

The caps are super nice. They push down all the way to the glass. So no pin is exposed. They also have 3 contact points instead of two. So they don't wobble at all. A lot better than the white caps.

Actually really happy with this as I will use a lot of these tubes in my lifetime.
wink_face.gif

I also received 3 pairs of the Tung-Sol round plates as pictured last night. Taking my stock to 8 sets. Only 6 more sets to go.
gs1000.gif

May 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #33,531 of 42,298
  A few weeks ago we were talking about the Glenn adapters and were told of a different style cap he could offer.

Well I received them last night. Once again. Stella work from Glenn. Thank you Glenn, I appreciate it.

A few pics:

New (Black base, black wire and NOS older style cap.) on left. Older (black base, red wire and white caps) on Right.

The caps are super nice. They push down all the way to the glass. So no pin is exposed. They also have 3 contact points instead of two. So they don't wobble at all. A lot better than the Chinese made caps (I think they are Chinese).

Actually really happy with this as I will use a lot of these tubes in my lifetime.
wink_face.gif

I also received 3 pairs of the Tung-Sol round plates as pictured last night. Taking my stock to 8 sets. Only 6 more sets to go.
gs1000.gif

Those caps look so much nicer. I wish they were available when ordered mine sometime ago.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #33,532 of 42,298
  Those caps look so much nicer. I wish they were available when ordered mine sometime ago.

I think they have been available for a while. I have seen them on older photos of Glenn adapters.

I think maybe Glenn tends to hold onto them for other uses. Like his amplifiers. Kinda makes sense.

May 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #33,533 of 42,298

I think they have been available for a while. I have seen them on older photos of Glenn adapters.

I think maybe Glenn tends to hold onto them for other uses. Like his amplifiers. Kinda makes sense.

I'm definitely going to need these adapters.

Who is this Glenn you are referring to?    And how do I contact him so I can have a pair of adapters?

Not that I'm going to start rolling tubes right away since my WA22 hasn't even arrived yet... but I want to be prepared :)

May 13, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #33,534 of 42,298

I'm definitely going to need these adapters.

Who is this Glenn you are referring to?    And how do I contact him so I can have a pair of adapters?

Not that I'm going to start rolling tubes right away since my WA22 hasn't even arrived yet... but I want to be prepared :)

http://www.head-fi.org/u/158007/2359glenn

Here you go.

May 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #33,535 of 42,298
May 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #33,538 of 42,298

Do you prefer the sound of the WA5 over the Moon Neo 430HA?

To me they are more 'different' rather than 'better'. More often than not I end up using the 430HA - that might be more due to the convenience of solid state than any superiority over the WA5.

May 16, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #33,539 of 42,298

To me they are more 'different' rather than 'better'. More often than not I end up using the 430HA - that might be more due to the convenience of solid state than any superiority over the WA5.

Yeah, I am so close to replacing my woo audio 5 for a 430HA because of the convenience of solid state; but then I see the look of tube and the sound.  I guess I will put up with it for right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back