Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #30,646 of 42,298
  I follow the rule of tubes.  Let them settle down before listening.  Five minutes to thirty minutes.  As everything warms up, better sound results.

I do exactly the same thing. I'm not talking about clicking/popping through the headphone drivers…Its either the amp/tube(s), but I'm pretty sure the right tube is making this noise, but its hard to tell. I also let my amp tubes warm up for at least 20 minutes.
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #30,647 of 42,298
I noticed a few weeks back that I had a loose base on one of my NOS tubes.  No gas/air leaks, shortages or really anything of note, and it is only a slight movement (more like a wiggle) side to side not up and down.  Tube still works perfectly fine at the moment.

Reading various websites and forum posts over the past couple of weeks, it seems mixed on best way to "band-aid" the situation.  Most seem to lean towards JB Weld or a high temp RTV that is compatible with electronics, clear nail polish, or buying tube glue from EML.  

Alternatively, do I just ignore it and simply make sure I am careful and not really do much tube rolling with it, or yanking it by the glass, etc.?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #30,650 of 42,298
Tubes will drive you crazy IF YOU LET THEM.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #30,653 of 42,298
  Yay! my weekend is saved, the Sophia Princess 274B mesh tube arrived here this morning, so now I can directly compare it with the rigid plate version. Have been listening for some time, and while the mesh does sound very similar there appears to be some subtle difference. 

My first impression is that the mesh doesn't sound brighter or thinner (good news because that is what I had feared, based on other peoples impressions).The only difference that stands out for me so far is the bass, the rigid plate appears to hit harder and have a tighter bass. The bass with the mesh sounds like it is slightly softer and "boomier" if tthat makes any sense 
tongue_smile.gif

can someone give impressions about the Sophia Princess 274B mesh vs rigid plate, soundwise, pros and cons of each of the two? i'm looking for an upgrade for the wa6-se,

also, any experiences with the 274B, Sophia vs EML? the EML is like double the price!

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #30,654 of 42,298
I would recommend saving a bit of cash and getting a Mullard GZ32/CV593 for $70ish instead, over the SP or EML's.  To me, the GZ32 sounded superior to the SP Mesh I had, much more depth to the music.  I have not bothered with the EML at this time so I can't comment on that one.

Also, DG's rectifier thread is a wealth of knowledge and discusses the specific tubes you mentioned, may want to read up when you have some time.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #30,655 of 42,298

can someone give impressions about the Sophia Princess 274B mesh vs rigid plate, soundwise, pros and cons of each of the two? i'm looking for an upgrade for the wa6-se,

also, any experiences with the 274B, Sophia vs EML? the EML is like double the price!

EDIT - beaten to the punch.
smile.gif

There is an excellent thread comparing several rectifier tubes, including the SP and EML 274Bs. Link below.

Link.

I have the SP mesh 274B and the EML mesh 274B that I use in my WA6. I like both, but prefer the EML. The SP is warmer to my ears, but the EML digs deeper and performs better at both ends (highs and lows). Not sure the difference is worth the price difference - both are good tubes for me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #30,656 of 42,298
thank you all, i now remember seeing the thread featured on the homepage here some time ago, totally forgot about it

got any good recommendations for tubes to use with the wa6-se hd800 combo? i would like something with textured tight bass, lot of body weight and texture in the mids and nice crystal treble that hits hard with weight?

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #30,657 of 42,298
So I got some fancy new adapters today, which solved my numerous issues with my 6F8G's and I think they look far far better too.  The 596 adapter fully attaches to the rods and he had some red connector ends left over so he let me opt to use them, think it was a good choice.

Best of all, no static, no noise and connectors all fit perfectly, so I can finally fully enjoy the tubes now.  The other nice thing being the connector wire placements on the adapter.  The 596 even sounds better with the rods being fully connected as the other adapter was also tad loose compared to this one.  Now I just need to find a way the tube savers can be painted without causing massive damage, I hate the white.

Thanks again Glenn for all of the help and various adapters, really makes the amp sing. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #30,658 of 42,298
  So I got some fancy new adapters today, which solved my numerous issues with my 6F8G's and I think they look far far better too.  The 596 adapter fully attaches to the rods and he had some red connector ends left over so he let me opt to use them, think it was a good choice.

Best of all, no static, no noise and connectors all fit perfectly, so I can finally fully enjoy the tubes now.  The other nice thing being the connector wire placements on the adapter.  The 596 even sounds better with the rods being fully connected as the other adapter was also tad loose compared to this one.  Now I just need to find a way the tube savers can be painted without causing massive damage, I hate the white.

Thanks again Glenn for all of the help and various adapters, really makes the amp sing. 

The Glenn adapters are definitely the way to go!
I'm a little nuts with the tube base colors, I don't care for the brown/red bases too much on the 6SN7's, so I wrap them with flat black vinyl adhesive…looks much better too me.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #30,659 of 42,298
  I do...as they came with the WA6 I've received 2 days ago.But the Sylvania that were part of the deal sound better to me.
Next week I should get a SEL Lorenz GZ32 NOS rectifier tube from Germany(early 60's  military) and then I will decide whether I need the Sophia Princess or not!
Knowing myself.....I do need her!
frown.gif

did you, or anyone else, like the sel lorenz? http://www.ebay.com/itm/201072593867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

what about GZ32 / 5V4G / CV593 Telefunken Vintage Tube NOS Philips Holland ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/130850212618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #30,660 of 42,298
Thanks for quoting my old post and yes, the Lorenz is a good tube and I alternated it with the Sophia.
But as it is a very old post I have sold the Woo in the meantime and have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back