Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 27, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #29,673 of 42,298
Monstrous rig, Cortazar. Is that an Auralic Vega just bellow the WES?

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #29,674 of 42,298
Yes this is vega. My system is now being completely renewed. I had to sell my avantgarde audio duo mezzo and audio note neiro, because we need a room for my second son, which is on 23-th July to be borned. My first son is now 13 Months so how you can think i had not opportunity to hear the boxes really. So i decided to build a completely new system. A headphone one.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #29,675 of 42,298
Cortazar... looking good!
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #29,676 of 42,298
I have been on this forum for some time now, but i was passive so far. Till today :wink:
I have contacted Piotr Ryka, who is the polish audiophile who knows different headphones very well. I knew stax, because i had some years ago stax system (4040 i think) and i liked the sound of it. It was very good for classic and jazz that i listen to.
Well the best amplifying he heard with stax sr 009 was transistor amp with tube preamp via stax transformer from peter rill, so i ordered it and wait for it (it takes a long time for Peter to build it). I hope that woo audio will be better then this, because it would mean for me many bucks spend on good pre and amplifier. Well, we will see.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #29,677 of 42,298
Are you using stock tubes? There are some excellent EL 34 on the market that will make it sing. I had it here with the upgraded tubes and it made a big difference. If you can find some NOS Mullard EL 34 and some RCA 12Au7 clear tops with soem bette 5AR4 over stock . The NOS Mullards are excellent as well.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #29,678 of 42,298
<sigh>

So up until a few months ago I was a solid state guy. I then purchased a WA3+ from another head-fier and...

I want more - more tubey goodness. This is my first tube amp and I am sold...

That screaming you hear is the sound of my credit card begging for mercy...

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #29,680 of 42,298
  <sigh>

So up until a few months ago I was a solid state guy. I then purchased a WA3+ from another head-fier and...

As they say, Welcome to Head-Fi....Sorry a bout your wallet....

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #29,681 of 42,298
  <sigh>

Welcome to the club, sorry about your wallet. The WA3+ is how I started. Now I have more headphone amps than I thought I would ever justify, including a Zana Deux SE, an OTL of great distinction.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #29,682 of 42,298
If I bought a relatively low ohm headphone with good sensitivity and it had a lot of body with minimal amplification would you say that a wa7 (different source) would be a good pairing to get some tubeyness out of the headphone without making it too syrupy? It's a very well balanced headphone with a good transparent tone.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #29,683 of 42,298
Thanks. I already have the upgraditis. I've been into audio since I was a teenager (older brother's influence). I used to have Hafler DH-110/XL-280 that I DIYed and a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers. I sold the speakers years ago, the amp/pre-amp are in storage (and for sale) and just recently got back into audio.

This whole thing started with a Headstreamer external sound card and my old Grado SR-80s. That was the first taste. Shortly thereafter came the MF M1HPA and Denon AH-D2000s and Schiit Bifrost. Then came the WA3+ and the beyer T90s. Ugh. Now I want a Sonnett.

This hobby really is a runaway train. The only good thing about it is the sound I get from my current rig would cost 10x as much if it was a full-sized set-up filling a room with sound. Besides, I like the fact the room is taken out of the equation as no room is acoustically perfect (my old 'steens used to face sliding glass doors).

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #29,684 of 42,298
What's a more moderately priced power cord than the $230.00 per meter 4N purity copper cable Woo Audio offers for their amplifiers? I've got a WA6 shipping this week and I'm looking to slow down the dollar leakage. Nobody told me this hobby was so costly. Maybe I should've gotten into show dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back