Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #616 of 42,298
Back in the Woo club. Ordered another 6SE (black this time). :p
Just can't shake the blissful memory of listening to HD800/6SE combo...

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #617 of 42,298
Nice... you can only go away for so long....

Cheers,

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #618 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I don't have an absolute favorite driver/power tubes. Though, I found the RCA 6DE7 sounded tonally balanced. Most 6EW7 work very well, however."

If only Jack would start making adapters again so I can use the GE 6EW7 tubes I picked up a while back. I have a older WA6 made before Jack widened the tube openings.

I've been trying to get that adapter from him for I think 2 years now, if you ever get him to give in let me know, haha...You know you can get small bottle 6ew7 tubes that will fit fine (though I'm not sure if they sound the same as the fat bottle ones), i have a few pairs, though I prefer the 6de7s.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #619 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in the Woo club. Ordered another 6SE (black this time). :p
Just can't shake the blissful felling of listening to HD800/6SE combo...

Welcome back, peanuthead. Please share you impression on the new combo, I have my HD800 ordered and told that have to wait until OCT, poor.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #620 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying to get that adapter from him for I think 2 years now, if you ever get him to give in let me know, haha...You know you can get small bottle 6ew7 tubes that will fit fine (though I'm not sure if they sound the same as the fat bottle ones), i have a few pairs, though I prefer the 6de7s.

You can get the adapters that may fit on ebay. They are called Tube Socket Savers.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #622 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question.. how superior is the wa6 to the wa3+?

are both a significant upgrade from an ef1?

Jamato8 might be a good person to ask, as he has used both.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #623 of 42,298
thanks, i sent him a PM

i actually spotted a used stock WA6 for sale... i think i'm going to pull the trigger because the price is right

however, it does not have PDPS and i'm wondering how big of a deal that is.. a lot of people said it makes a big difference... do you think i would be able to send this unit to wooaudio and have them add the pdps? or is that impossible

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #624 of 42,298
Quote:

thanks, i sent him a PM

i actually spotted a used stock WA6 for sale... i think i'm going to pull the trigger because the price is right

however, it does not have PDPS and i'm wondering how big of a deal that is.. a lot of people said it makes a big difference... do you think i would be able to send this unit to wooaudio and have them add the pdps? or is that impossible

I sent mine back May 2008 to have it done and mine was the first one Woo did for a customer (after much begging). It makes a difference but you have to burn-in the amp again, so I didn't hear the improvement for a few months because of the lengthy burn-in of the huge Blackgate caps. I think it was $200 for my maxed WA6 to be opened and modded since it wasn't routine for them, but now you could get it done for about $130 later when you are ready. The Sophia Princess rectifier probably makes as much of a difference.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #625 of 42,298
Quote:

thanks, i sent him a PM

If you want to save on shipping, have the seller ship it straight to Woo Audio to have the PDPS mod done. I think it costs a little over $100 for the mod, and from all accounts, definitely worth the cost.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #626 of 42,298
thanks, told him i'll take it, waiting for the reply now.. and i will send wooaudio an email about adding the pdps

i think i'll keep my ef2 for comparison purposes.. will be interesting to hear the difference

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #627 of 42,298
forget about the blackgate caps for the power section. get the blackgate caps
for the cathode bypass section as i think it makes the most difference. the pdps
started by jamato is essential to get the best out of any tube you're using on the
wa6. the input coupling cap is critical as well but secondary to the above.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #628 of 42,298
Hello,

I've had a Woo3+ that I've been using for a few weeks now.

I really like the sound of the 3+. I've had it at my work office but have brought it home for a bit while I await another amp...wa22....

Office_03.jpg

Office_04.jpg

I've honestly never been a huge headphone guru, more into speakers themselves, but this year my wife and I had our first baby which has made it more difficult to enjoy loud music/movies at the times and volumes I want to.

So I started down the rabbit hole of headphone research and purchases
biggrin.gif

I am currently awaiting:

WA22 Black
+7236 pair
+Treasure CV181 pair
+Sophia 274B

I currently have a set of DT990s I've been listening to on the WA3+. I loved them at first, but after extended listening I find the sound fatiguing, there seems to be some mid-bass resonance going on that is making the mids seem thin. Might be break in though as they only have ~100hrs so far.

I will soon be taking a look at the Grado GS1000 and another look at the K702.

Any thoughts as to what would be a great match for the WA22? Since it has the low-high impedance switch I wonder how it would drive the low impedance Grados.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #629 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forget about the blackgate caps for the power section. get the blackgate caps
for the cathode bypass section as i think it makes the most difference. the pdps
started by jamato is essential to get the best out of any tube you're using on the
wa6. the input coupling cap is critical as well but secondary to the above.

Since my WA6 is maxed with Blackgates and Vcaps already, Jack felt it was best to stick with using the caps that come with the maxed version.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #630 of 42,298
of course, if one has the budget to "max" the unit, then that's cherry on top...
however, panasonic ts-ed electrolytic caps are on par with the polar electrolytic caps
by blackgate and what's more, the former are 1/5 the price in most areas.
if one can spring for the NON-polar types then there's no arguments there. i think
it's the best there is, although the elna silmic II are excellent at what they do best,
which is timbre and vocal reproduction. it just lags behind in transparency and prat.
i've seen some wooaudio amps have the non-polar types used but most have the
polar types, less expensive, implemented. again, go for the panasonics as they will give
identical SQ at 1/5 the price of the polar types.

another critical point that influences the SQ, more than i initially thought, are the
resistors at the cathode plate resistance of the power section and the cathode bypass
position used for bias. cheaper metal film types introduce background noise and etched highs.
using carbon types there really improves the SQ. be wary of carbon types that can't
hold there specs very long and start to drift with heat. rikens are my favorite. kiwame
and takman seem to be almost as sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back