Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 18, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #41,881 of 42,298
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #41,882 of 42,298
Sweet Lord, those are spendy! And I thought NOS Tung-Sol 5998s were bad…

(BTW, The Cable Company is great, been a customer of theirs for 15+ years)
Yes, they're pricey. I've come so close to pulling the trigger on a quad of 2A3 and the 274B so many times, but I enjoy my EML 2A3 and USAF 596 in my WA33 so much that I'll wait until I ned new tubes.
Also been dealing with Ethan at TCC for some time now...definitely a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #41,883 of 42,298
Nov 19, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #41,885 of 42,298
@SteveHulk mentions nothing about the "Anniversary Edition" but rather the HP version...it was you who mentioned the "Anniversary Edition" which is why I posted the link for the KR-274B-HP. What's the difference between the HP and AE?
Your right - my bad. I'm just so used to talking about the Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions I forget the others even exist.

Riccardo Kron was the man behind KR Audio. They made special "Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition" tubes for Lampizat0r (Feliks of Feliks Envy fame).

You can read about them here:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/03/new-kr-audio-rk-limited-series-tubes.html?m=1

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #41,888 of 42,298
giphy.gif

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #41,889 of 42,298
giphy.gif

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #41,890 of 42,298
If the Wa33 would use the tube complement of the 3ES I would have bought one long ago.
I even inquired about a custom amp (basically a 3ES for regular headphones) but to no avail.

Now that the CRBN is on order the 3ES became more interesting again, but only if I feel my Octave V16 + Mjölnir SRD-7 lacking.

How is he 3ES as preamp?

I am very happy with the 3ES. I can't recommend it highly enough, as both an electrostatic headamp or as a balanced preamp. I'm going out to a Wells Headtrip II with the pre circuit, which is a fantastic solid state dynamic headamp. I feel like these headphone amplifiers are as good as I will ever get, because they both honestly leave me wanting nothing. Tweaks, cables and perhaps some source upgrades are all I'm interested in (except for every top headphone ever NO! I'm not a collector lol) now.

Speaking of top headphones; since you mentioned the CRBN (top of my list after some WA 300B re-issues!); Mike at Woo and I have been corresponding off and on. He told me that the CRBN was voiced with the 3ES, later I asked what the tube compliment was and he said stock. He recommends the stock tubes during the 3ES break-in as well. I rode with the stock tubes for a few weeks, then I rolled in a few old tubes from my WA22 days to keep the stock 300B's company, notably the USAF 690.

iKz0jdxl.jpg

Not a great pic but these are 100% of my tubes that require adapters lol. I'll roll the stock tubes back in pretty soon to see if I can tell the difference.

I do have an extra USAF 690 or two. I figure the WA re-issues can live pretty comfortably with the tubes I have on hand. If I ever get uber sources I can see investing in a set of Takatsuki 300B + 274B (not sure what SN7) tubes, but probably not as those may be more appropriate for the Elite Edition 3ES (also on sale!). The WA re-issues have a 5-year warranty, which is also a selling point for me. I'm also still using my WA22 v.2 as a bedroom amp these days so lots of rolling possibilities.

I edited the picture.
Sorry to drag up older posts, but, since I'm now hunting for an amp for new CRBN's that I ordered - how are you still liking the 3ES? It just so happens that it uses the same compliment of tubes that my WA5-LE uses, so win/win!

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #41,891 of 42,298
Sorry to drag up older posts, but, since I'm now hunting for an amp for new CRBN's that I ordered - how are you still liking the 3ES? It just so happens that it uses the same compliment of tubes that my WA5-LE uses, so win/win!
@Ciggavelli you surely can share some impressions of the Woo 3ES

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #41,892 of 42,298
@Ciggavelli you surely can share some impressions of the Woo 3ES
Yeah, I like my 3ES Elite a lot. Though, I haven’t tried another estat amp, so I can’t make comparisons. The other amp I’d look at would be the DIY T2, but it’s pricey and the wait time in long. I haven’t heard it, but everybody that has seems to love it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #41,893 of 42,298
Yeah, I like my 3ES Elite a lot. Though, I haven’t tried another estat amp, so I can’t make comparisons. The other amp I’d look at would be the DIY T2, but it’s pricey and the wait time in long. I haven’t heard it, but everybody that has seems to love it.
Actually the 3ES can use Elrogs, maybe with those it even beats the T2.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #41,895 of 42,298
I have my headphone system setup so that when I put my hp’s on without any music playing there is nothing but inky black silence. Well the other day I noticed an almost imperceptible low register hum coming thru my hp’s until I started the music. And today when changing tracks on Roon via my iPad I heard this screeching distortion coming through the right channel until I stopped and then restarted the music. Could one of the power or driver tubes be about to fail, or could there be a poor interconnect connection somewhere in the listening chain? I thought I’d ask this question of you guys before I endeavor to diagnose the issue in the light of day. Thnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back