Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 8, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #41,642 of 42,298
Just rolled out Psvane CV181T mk II tubes and rolled in Mullard CV181 ('68 vintage, made in Blackburn UK) to my Woo WA5LE and was that night and day or what!

The Mullards are unused except for having been in a tube tester prior to dispatch.

Even right out of the box they trashed the Psvane tubes. Much better detail in the treble and a serious increased extension to the deep bass. A few hours later the treble was already smoothing out and it was clear to me that these tubes even have a lot more to give before they fully run in and top out.

Last night I ordered a second pair just for backups. I'll never worry about which 6SN7 equivalent tubes to use ever again.

The tubes are available from Audio Antiquary in Italy. https://www.audioantiquary.com/it/mullard-cv181-7470/

These guys are real and serious.

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #41,644 of 42,298
Just rolled out Psvane CV181T mk II tubes and rolled in Mullard CV181 ('68 vintage, made in Blackburn UK) to my Woo WA5LE and was that night and day or what!

The Mullards are unused except for having been in a tube tester prior to dispatch.

Even right out of the box they trashed the Psvane tubes. Much better detail in the treble and a serious increased extension to the deep bass. A few hours later the treble was already smoothing out and it was clear to me that these tubes even have a lot more to give before they fully run in and top out.

Last night I ordered a second pair just for backups. I'll never worry about which 6SN7 equivalent tubes to use ever again.

The tubes are available from Audio Antiquary in Italy. https://www.audioantiquary.com/it/mullard-cv181-7470/

These guys are real and serious.
An update:

The Mullards are running in well. They are presenting a very detailed, sweet sound with excellent bass extension and definition.

But these babies are very very microphonic. Much more so than the Psvanes. I'm using them in a headphone-only system which is in a very quiet room pretty much totally free of vibration so they are fine.

However for those of you thinking of using these in a loud environment eg in a system with speakers adjacent you'll need to pay lots of attention to vibration isolation. It is possible that these tubes might not even be viable such a setting, which would be a shame.

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #41,645 of 42,298
No power conditioning yet. I'll be getting something soon - just need to do some research. I was a Panamax guy years ago, but haven't really paid too much attention in recent years. I have a nice APC tucked away in storage somewhere, but that's more surge protection than conditioning. I do have a shielded A/C cable coming from Amazon.
I have the hum on my WA6se Mk2 and it is quite loud with every tube except the stock 13de7 (still hums but not noticeable during play). I have tried Sennheiser HD580, Hifiman HE400 and Grado GS1000i and the hum is still there. I have a WA2 that I connected to the same system and it is pretty much dead quiet even with my Grados. Do you think a higher impedance headphone like Beyerdynamic 600 Ohm might calm the hum? Does the rectifier have any effect on this sort of noise?

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #41,646 of 42,298
Finally become a member of woo audio.
Trying different tubes now.
C7D0D51A-1B89-4554-8894-7E5A5C21961E.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #41,647 of 42,298
I have the hum on my WA6se Mk2 and it is quite loud with every tube except the stock 13de7 (still hums but not noticeable during play). I have tried Sennheiser HD580, Hifiman HE400 and Grado GS1000i and the hum is still there. I have a WA2 that I connected to the same system and it is pretty much dead quiet even with my Grados. Do you think a higher impedance headphone like Beyerdynamic 600 Ohm might calm the hum? Does the rectifier have any effect on this sort of noise?
So I've done some experimenting and can now say that BOTH of my Woo WA6-SE Gen 2's are DEAD SILENT. Here's what I've done:

1) removed my VMV D1SE DAC from the mix and replaced it with (a pair) of Musician Pegasus R2R DAC's.
2) upgraded the power cables to THESE.
3) Upgraded the fuses (My Black Woo has a Synergistic Research Purple fuse, the silver has a generic ceramic fuse from Amazon. I can't hear the significant difference, but every little bit helps I guess.
4) Everything is plugged into the same power strip, which, in turn, is plugged into an Emotive CMX2 Power Conditioner
5) All interconnects are RCA (World's Best from Amazon). Same length.
6: Both DAC's have USB feeds coming from my Microsoft Surface Studio PC. One is direct, the other is through a USB3.0 hub.
7) My Woo Black has a Tara Labs Live/HDX block attached to it.

I'm running a mix of 13EM7 tubes (Westinghouse, Sylvania, International Standard) and various high-end rectifiers (EML 274B Mesh, KR Audio Riccardo Kron 25th Anniversary 5U4G, NOS Tung-Sol 5U4GB) Everything is DEAD QUIET.

I'm firmly convinced the DACs have something to do with it, but I'm not sure what.

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #41,652 of 42,298
Just added my 2nd Woo.

New WA2 in my main system. Should be a great match for my HD800. Arrives end of the week.
Have utilized the headphone out of my D100 for critical listening. Looking forward to hearing what this bad boy can do.

This amp joins my faithful WA7 (2nd Gen) which has served me well for the last few years in my study.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back