Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 4, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #41,521 of 42,298
I'm not totally following your post. Isn't the default output 2V on Qutest?

What do you find the advantage of lowering to 1V (with WA6) ?
I don’t remember what mine was set to when new out of the box.
The default, as such, it what it was last set to during a previous startup cycle be it at the factory or by the user.
Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Qutest voltage out.jpeg

I have used mine with several amps and the selected voltage has an impact on the sound quality depending on the characteristics of the amp and how it was designed… Headphones matter, and with a tube amp the tubes matter especially as they impact the power output. I roll tubes on my Woo amps and the tubes I like don’t play well with my Qutest. With all three tube amps I use 1 volt output isn’t very satisfying, 2 is decent for sound quality but volume issues are bad, 3 too much although some tracks are ok, with added volume issues. 3 into an active or passive pre amp can give some amazing results depending… I use Woo WA6, Woo WA22, and McIntosh MHA200. The bare Qutest is a challenge on all three but most so on the WA22 as the most powerful, and the MHA200 with a challenging volume/gain POT. I would not recommend a Qutest direct on any of the three as you have to use a lower input voltage which sacrifices sound quality. Using 2 or 3 volts leaves you dealing with a volume control POT turned almost off and a narrow range of use before the volume is too high. There is a real hearing safety issue as well if you fail to zero the volume on startup. Aside from that being a PITA sound quality again suffers. I find my Woo do their best with the volume at 1200-1300 but the source has to be right. A bare Qutest, in my experience, is a poor match. I now use two pre amps in my setups in part due to trying to fit my Qutest into the chain. I bought a Chord Anni specifically to get quality use from the Qutest. You might find satisfaction with a Qutest / WA6 pairing and the right tubes, headphones etc. I was unable to do so and wouldn’t recommend the pairing. Also, my Woo amps are both first generation in case that comes into play. A long convoluted answer, totally unscientific, but it is what it is. Hope it helps.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #41,523 of 42,298
Feb 5, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #41,525 of 42,298
Just received a wa 3. Is it best to turn the amp on with headphones plugged in first? Or should I turn the amp on and left tubes warm up bit and then plug in

Thanks
I turn mine on without headphones plugged in and then plug them in after a short while. I've also read that since it's an OTL amp you shouldn't leave it turned on without headphones plugged in.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #41,526 of 42,298
What are the volume issues at 2V?
Very narrow range of useable volume. I tried all three voltages this morning. Here is a shot of the volume at 2 volts. Maximum I could tolerate and after 10 minutes I regret trying this pairing again. I knew better from prior tries but… Headphones were Utopia. Max for longer period is about 0730. Full off is 0630. One member who posts on the which ones are you listening with now thread uses this combo and seems happy. Not for me though. Going to insert the McIntosh pre into this chain then the WA6 will really sing.

WA6 Qutest Max Volume Range.jpeg

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #41,527 of 42,298
Very narrow range of useable volume. I tried all three voltages this morning. Here is a shot of the volume at 2 volts. Maximum I could tolerate and after 10 minutes I regret trying this pairing again. I knew better from prior tries but… Headphones were Utopia. Max for longer period is about 0730. Full off is 0630. One member who posts on the which ones are you listening with now thread uses this combo and seems happy. Not for me though. Going to insert the McIntosh pre into this chain then the WA6 will really sing.

WA6 Qutest Max Volume Range.jpeg
I find that quite strange because i lived with the Mojo set to 1.9V output, the WA6 and Grado RS2e (99dB sensitivity) for a while and usually had the volume pot around 10:30am.
I'm really scratching my head here...

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #41,528 of 42,298
Ordered the WA22 today finally after eyeing it for close to 10 years. Can't wait to get it up and running. ETA to ship is 3 weeks though... At least I'm not far from them so shipping will be quick!

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #41,529 of 42,298
Ordered the WA22 today finally after eyeing it for close to 10 years. Can't wait to get it up and running. ETA to ship is 3 weeks though... At least I'm not far from them so shipping will be quick!
Congrats! I'm really impressed with the build quality of Woo's stuff. Very solid and sturdy. This is next-level product.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #41,530 of 42,298
Congratulations. You will really enjoy your new WA-22. I'm on my third Woo unit having owned a Wa-22 gen 1, next a WA-6SE, and now a WA-22 gen 2 and loved them all. Save some money between now and when you actually receive it because I promise you that you'll want to buy some tubes. Go slow because I went crazy too early! You can break your new unit in with the stock tubes but you will want to see where it can go from stock. Just a word to the wise

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #41,531 of 42,298
Congratulations. You will really enjoy your new WA-22. I'm on my third Woo unit having owned a Wa-22 gen 1, next a WA-6SE, and now a WA-22 gen 2 and loved them all. Save some money between now and when you actually receive it because I promise you that you'll want to buy some tubes. Go slow because I went crazy too early! You can break your new unit in with the stock tubes but you will want to see where it can go from stock. Just a word to the wise
Thanks for the advice. I'm eyeing some 6AS7G power tubes to try, and already have some good PSVANE and RCA 6SN7 tubes already I use on other equipment.

Long term I really want to try and get a pair of 5998, but that seems to be hard to get nowadays.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #41,532 of 42,298
Did somebody say "breaking the bank with tubes?"

20220207_120846.jpg

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #41,534 of 42,298
Damn, Colonel. That's quite a collection. It doesn't take long to spend a bunch because they're easy to buy if you pay enough!
... And true doesn't even include the Emission Labs 5U4G and 274B that are coming. Plus Woo owes me a Sophia Aqua 274B...

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #41,535 of 42,298
... And true doesn't even include the Emission Labs 5U4G and 274B that are coming. Plus Woo owes me a Sophia Aqua 274B...
Do rectifiers make a significant difference to you? I ordered a pair of Raytheon 6as7g to try, and have some 6sn7 variants on hand already, but never had an amp with a rectifier tube. I assume it's like going from a switching PSU to a linear one. That USAF one always looked cool to me with the adapter, but no idea what to expect with the change from stock to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back