Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #40,966 of 42,298
I prefer tubes, so I guess the WA5le is my favorite. But for things like EDM on my Abyss 1266TC, the speed and impact the GSX imparts can't be beat. If that was my primary genre, I would stick with the GSX. The WA5 imparts an expanded sound stage and warm mids. Something I really like. The GSX is very neutral. So if your headphones are a little bright, you will really notice it.
Sounds like WA5 is what I am looking for, thx a lot!

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #40,967 of 42,298
I have the WA6SE which is different than the WA6.

I don't know. The WA2 has a neat sound, but the WA6SE is cleaner and can drive a more varied set of headphones. I think that some careful EQing could replace the WA2 completely....or at least to the point where I wouldn't miss it.

Then again, if I had the THX AAA 789 first....I am not sure I would have found any of these amp to be worth the money. However, since it wasn't bought first...I appreciate the differences of a tube amp now... or at least that is what I am telling myself.

I am not an expert in sonic analysis...just looking to get the best of what sounds good to me. Right now, the 789, WA2, and WA6SE are all great. I'd probably just keep the WA6SE if I could only keep one though.

Excellent feedback and answers a lot of my questions, thank you!
The WA6/SE also has the bonus of having a low/hi impedance switch making it compatible with even more headphones.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #40,968 of 42,298
I've had a WA6SE for about two years now, and I just recently acquired a WA2 to get a better idea of what an OTL amp sounds like. I like the sound of both (they both have upgraded tubes). My question is this. I've had my eye on the WA5-LE. Realistically, with the amps I have now, does the WA5LE sound more like an upgraded WA6SE or WA2 or is it its own thing? Do the tonal options I have now get a good chunk of the way there? I am not going to lie, the prospect of getting top notch tubes for the WA5LE seems kind of daunting. I can't say I am unhappy with what I have now, but having two tube amps does seem kind of silly (but planars and WA2 are a no go).

Thanks for any input,
jc
My hekse is VERY acceptable with my wa2 - was a nice surprise. My lcd2 were decent (ie ok or acceptable with bring bloated in bottom end). Empyreans definitely not good and definitely bloated bottom end

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #40,969 of 42,298
Excellent feedback and answers a lot of my questions, thank you!
The WA6/SE also has the bonus of having a low/hi impedance switch making it compatible with even more headphones.
My wa2 is superb with my hd800. Silky. Smooth. It’s the only reason i keep it.

Also well suited with auteurs too.

unfortunately it’s limited in it’s matching with hps

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #40,970 of 42,298
Hi Woo Gang! Been doing a lot of reading here to learn more about the WooAudio amplifiers, so thank you for all the info posted here. Was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on how much you think a lightly used WA3 might be worth these days, with stock tubes. Seems like there are not very many of them left in the wild. Also, is there a list of compatible tubes for this amp around here? On their website, there's no info on WA3 anymore apparently. Thank you all in advance.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #40,971 of 42,298
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #40,973 of 42,298
I noticed that when I use a 5998 or 421A tube, the volume is louder than with the 6080 installed. So I guess greater power is as simple as louder, but it probably also improves even further the amp's drive of high impedance headphones. The 6080 tubes have plenty of power though to begin with. I hardly ever get to 11 o'clock.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #40,975 of 42,298
Makes sense. Thank you. Any idea what a fair price for a WA3 might be these days?

About $450 + shipping. Typically you have to pay for the shipping because they are on the heavier side. But the thing is that people sell their Woo Amps together with the tubes they have, generally, since their replacement amp is likely to use other tube types. So if they are selling it with some upgraded tubes in good condition, the price can be higher.

Speaking of which - If anyone has a black WA3 in great condition and thinking about selling, let me know. I am willing to make a very good offer. :)

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #40,976 of 42,298
Hi Woo Gang! Been doing a lot of reading here to learn more about the WooAudio amplifiers, so thank you for all the info posted here. Was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on how much you think a lightly used WA3 might be worth these days, with stock tubes. Seems like there are not very many of them left in the wild. Also, is there a list of compatible tubes for this amp around here? On their website, there's no info on WA3 anymore apparently. Thank you all in advance.

The WA3 is a great amp - I am very happy with mine.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #40,977 of 42,298
Could I get some advice?
I have this pair of WE421a tubes in my wa22 and once in a while, in between songs, I can hear a background hum/ring. This disappears if I give the WE421a tubes one or two gentle taps; the hum/ring disappears and back to nice background silence.

Is this a sign of tubes going bad or are they still settling in? (they're relatively unused tubes)..

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #40,978 of 42,298
All my planar and dynamics sound amazing off my WA33 tubes are EML 300b 2.5v, Takasuki 274B and EH 6c45 gold pin.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #40,979 of 42,298
I really would like to try the 300B 2.5 v but the market for 2A3 tubes is so limited I am afraid I would be stuck with the set I liked least. I see you sold one pair of your 2A3 mesh. I hope you are able to sell the other pair in a timely way.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #40,980 of 42,298
I really would like to try the 300B 2.5 v but the market for 2A3 tubes is so limited I am afraid I would be stuck with the set I liked least. I see you sold one pair of your 2A3 mesh. I hope you are able to sell the other pair in a timely way.
The 300B sound really good out of the box very dynamic. I hope the other two sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back