Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #39,421 of 42,298
I have to listen to a Violetric 281 one of these days.

The V281 is a great amp.  If your source is good, your output to the headphones will be spectacular.  It's probably the best SS Amp I've heard.  I own a Woo WA5-LE because of the sound signature. I also like to tinker with the tubes, so it's a work in progress.  But both hold their own in very different ways

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #39,422 of 42,298
Wonder if the WA22-SE prototype ended up being ready to make a showing at CanJam SoCal next weekend?

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #39,423 of 42,298
I have to listen to a Violetric 281 one of these days.

I just can't get my Woo WA22 to beat my V281. No matter what I do. Or what tubes are installed.

V281 has it beat in every way.

WA5 might be a different story.
I have heard a WA5 with extremely good tubes installed (Tak 300B, Tak 274B and C3g drivers) next to a V281. In that session I thought the V281 had the WA5 beat.

If there is one piece of equipment that I wouldn't miss or would get kicked to the curb because it wasn't required/performing it would be the Woo WA22.
Everything else in my rack I find very valuable.

The only reason I don't is that it is tubes and is a bit nostalgic.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #39,424 of 42,298
I hear you about the V281 and Woo comparison.  My situation is a WA5-LE that was not keeping up to the V281.   Now after many cable tweaks and tube revisions plus a major amount of break-in time I'm hearing the results.  The WA5-LE is truly on another level.  I have details and punch, just where I want to be.   It will only get better.  I have new tubes that are unique and special coming next week.  EML 520B V3 to be specific.  Woo approved 300B replacement and some new rectifiers.I'll post performance results as they are available.
Quote:

I just can't get my Woo WA22 to beat my V281. No matter what I do. Or what tubes are installed.

I have heard a WA5 with extremely good tubes installed (Tak 300B, Tak 274B and C3g drivers) next to a V281. In that session I thought the V281 had the WA5 beat.

If there is one piece of equipment that I wouldn't miss or would get kicked to the curb because it wasn't required/performing it would be the Woo WA22.

I have listened to both side by side and my conclusions are similar but different.  The V281 has a very lean and highly detailed presentation.  It's very accurate and truthful to the source.  I hear the shimmer of cymbals, which are one of my tests for accuracy.  The WA5-LE has a richness to the bottom and midrange that I just adore.  However, I'm not running cost no object tubes.  I've got Gold Lion 300B's, Northern Electric 6SN7's, and Brimar 5Z4G as rectifiers.  I am missing the extremely detailed upper frequencies that I get on the V281.  I'm working on some different tubes and I'll see what they have to offer once I get them.  I had the same results on my WA6 when I had it and it ultimately led me to sell it.  I preferred the V281 to the WA6 by a long shot.  Granted the V281 cost more.  But after spending as much on tubes as the WA6 cost, I still wasn't pleased with the results. Right now the WA5-LE isn't getting kicked to the curb.  I still love it! Let's call it a work in progress.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #39,425 of 42,298

That's way I switched.

And with the cartridge I'm a happy man!

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #39,426 of 42,298
Sorry for the "stupid question of the year". Has anyone found a DAC that's the same size as the WA2, for stackable purposes?

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #39,427 of 42,298
  Sorry for the "stupid question of the year". Has anyone found a DAC that's the same size as the WA2, for stackable purposes?

I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head but I would think that the Schiit Yggy or Kitsune Spring DAC would hold the WA22? Maybe even the Schitt Gungnir would work.  You can look up the dimensions on each of their websites. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #39,428 of 42,298

I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head but I would think that the Schiit Yggy or Kitsune Spring DAC would hold the WA22? Maybe even the Schitt Gungnir would work.  You can look up the dimensions on each of their websites. 

Yggy and Gungnir are both too long. Hoping to find one that is the same size as WA2 and looks good stacked. I'm not familiar with the Kitsune but will look it up, thanks.

And yes...I know that the DAC sound quality is what ultimately matters.
smile.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #39,430 of 42,298
DQuote:

Yggy and Gungnir are both too long. Hoping to find one that is the same size as WA2 and looks good stacked. I'm not familiar with the Kitsune but will look it up, thanks.

And yes...I know that the DAC sound quality is what ultimately matters.
smile.gif

The Holo Spring is approximately 17W by 11D.  The pictures I have seen show the DAC in black with copper sides so if your WA2 is silver that might not work.  The Auralic Vega is 11W by 9D so the exact same depth but 2 inches narrower 1in on each side.  My Vega is on Ebay right now(the one with bidding).

Edit: The Vega is silver

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #39,431 of 42,298
I am a new owner of a Woo WA6. I would like to try out the Weber copper cap before shelling out some serious dough on the exotic rectifier tubes I have read about on the forums. Does anyone else have some experience with using the copper caps?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #39,432 of 42,298
I am a new owner of a Woo WA6. I would like to try out the Weber copper cap before shelling out some serious dough on the exotic rectifier tubes I have read about on the forums. Does anyone else have some experience with using the copper caps?

Congratulations on your WA6.
No need to spend serious dough on a good rectifier tube. 
Try this tube, it's exceptional for its price/performance ratio.
Brimar 5Z4GY

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #39,433 of 42,298

Agreed with the above! Also, you were right to think about the copper cap. It's a great solution that does not cost an arm and a leg, not to mention it'll never burn out. And alternative that is not crazy expensive is the GZ34. A NOS one usually can be found for under $75.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #39,434 of 42,298
Hey Guys,
A while back someone was asking about a DAC for their WA5.
A variety of suggestions were offered including Yggdrasil, which I decided to try.
Long story short, I prefer my solid state mod ModWright Oppo 95.
I had suggested Oppo on the original thread and was told that Oppo DAC sucks.
I guess the difference here is that Dan Wright does a real nice job with the Oppo analog output.
It is true that I likely haven't given the Yggy enough time to stabilize, and I expect it to continue to smooth out.
Never the less I decided to sell the Yggy for a pretty good price.
Anyone interested can PM me.
PS. I hope it is OK to post this kind of message here.
If not lemme know and I will delete.
Thanks.

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #39,435 of 42,298
  Hey Guys,
A while back someone was asking about a DAC for their WA5.
A variety of suggestions were offered including Yggdrasil, which I decided to try.
Long story short, I prefer my solid state mod ModWright Oppo 95.
I had suggested Oppo on the original thread and was told that Oppo DAC sucks.
I guess the difference here is that Dan Wright does a real nice job with the Oppo analog output.
It is true that I likely haven't given the Yggy enough time to stabilize, and I expect it to continue to smooth out.
Never the less I decided to sell the Yggy for a pretty good price.
Anyone interested can PM me.
PS. I hope it is OK to post this kind of message here.
If not lemme know and I will delete.
Thanks.

I have a WA5-LE and I'm running a Mytek Brooklyn.  I couldn't be happier at the price point and performance.  The others that I considered were An AuraliC or a PS Audio.  The Brooklyn can drive a headphone, decode PCM, DSD and native MQA and it has a built in Phono Amp.  Very versatile.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back