Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #38,986 of 42,298
^

That's a good result.
gs1000.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #38,987 of 42,298
That is a sweet setup. I might not be able to scrape up somethng as good.

I think I will use 596, TSRP 6C8G and 6BL7. It should be okay.

Actually, it might not be. I've found I get a loud hum when I try to use a 596 with TS 6F8G's, I assume because of all the unshielded wires.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #38,988 of 42,298
Actually, it might not be. I've found I get a loud hum when I try to use a 596 with TS 6F8G's, I assume because of all the unshielded wires.

I will find out tonight. My Glenn adapters have arrived.

I have a 596 adapter with wires designed to go out the back. Also a new design 6F8G adapter with wires going out the back instead of the sides.

I will report my findings.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #38,990 of 42,298

Yip. You are right. I'm getting a buzzing sound that is usually associated with wire electrical noise.

I have used my wa5 with the 6f8g and 596 and don't get any hum what so ever.

Maybe because the drivers are miles away from rectifiers. On the WA22 you most definitely get a buzzing sound.

596 is a nice sounding rectifier tho. Excellent detail and soundstage.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #38,991 of 42,298
Never had any luck with tubes that had wires sticking out of them on my WA22. Always too noisy. Better suited to other amps.

I tubed rolled a lot in the  beginning, but Cossor 53KU fat bottle, 4 * 6BL7's and ECC32's haven't moved in a long while. For fun, I've borrowed a few friends solid state amps and whilst some of them have sounded very good, I simply prefer the sound of tubes. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #38,992 of 42,298

Yes, you are right. Those wires need to have good shielding to be quiet. Gelnn's adapters work great for them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #38,993 of 42,298
Here is a few photo's of the Glenn adapters. He makes the very best in the world.

I really like the new way of doing the 6F8G adapter with the wire out the back rather than the side. Makes it look tidy.

I took a photo of old and new 6F8G adapter (left old, right new). Out the side and out the back so you can see the difference.

Due to the buzz coming from the 596 I've decided to go back to the Tak274B with this configuration.

The 596 does have a stella sound. I think it might have a slight edge on the Tak 274B. More different. Tak is slightly more detailed. 596 is fuller. Nicer mid-range. I think it's better on soundstage also.

I have 4 596 tubes and they won't go to waste. I will just locate some drivers without wire grids. I have a set of WW2 RCA 6SN7 Greyglass that I will try to begin with. To make sure the buzz disappears.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #38,994 of 42,298
  Yes, you are right. Those wires need to have good shielding to be quiet. Gelnn's adapters work great for them.

I've got Glenn's adapters for the 6F8G's with the left/right orientation for the wires so they're out to each side and the Woo adapter for the 596 but none of the adapters have shielded wires so the tubes can't be used at the same time without hum. It's not a problem, just a combination that doesn't work in the WA22. My normal setup is the WE 422a rectifier with the TS 6F8G's and TS 5998's. That's a combination that works like a champ.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #38,995 of 42,298

I've got Glenn's adapters for the 6F8G's with the left/right orientation for the wires so they're out to each side and the Woo adapter for the 596 but none of the adapters have shielded wires so the tubes can't be used at the same time without hum. It's not a problem, just a combination that doesn't work in the WA22. My normal setup is the WE 422a rectifier with the TS 6F8G's and TS 5998's. That's a combination that works like a champ.

Yes. You were completely right. The wires buzz.

596 is nice sounding tube. I'm curious how they will go with my RCA 6SN7 greyglass. The RCA have been really robust. So I will try them in the weekend. RCA are a little rolled off in the treble tho. It could be too effecting.

Worst case I will stay with Tak 274B (I have two of those) 6C8g (bloody love those new adapters) and GE 6AS7GA. It's sounding really good and for the first time since getting the V281 I think the Woo still has a place in my rack.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #38,996 of 42,298
Interesting, so within the space of a few days, the V281 makes your tube amp useless and irrelevant, and suddenly! it might be good? You come across as very polar. Not really interested in finding the realism in anything, just touting the extremes. I guess that makes your life exciting :)

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #38,997 of 42,298
  Interesting, so within the space of a few days, the V281 makes your tube amp useless and irrelevant, and suddenly! it might be good? You come across as very polar. Not really interested in finding the realism in anything, just touting the extremes. I guess that makes your life exciting :)

I said the tube amp has a place in my rack. Not better. Like others have said tube amps have to be a different flavor.
I haven't changed my opinion. There is no doubt in my mind and to my ears the V281 is better. Like previously posted it beats the Woo in every sound quality.

What I'm doing now is trying tube arrangements to not compete with the V281. V281 has it beat. I'm looking for a different flavor. More relaxed is what I'm thinking. Absolutely slow and mellow.
Last night I heard things that might actually do that (especially the 596 (I'm not saying the 596 is slow)) and then in my mind justify the tube amp to stay.

Does that make sense? I'm not trying to start anything. I know saying a SS amp is better than a tube amp is polarizing in this thread. Also I'm not saying the V281 is better than all tube amps. Especially the WA5 or WA234 (which I don't own or have access to hearing). I'm just saying it beats my WA22. So why not change the WA22 to a completely different sound???

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #38,998 of 42,298

Get used to it :) I love Badas though as he introduced me to the 6BL7's :)

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #39,000 of 42,298

Yip. You were completely right. Obviously you can't have too many wires out on the WA22 without getting buzz. Tubes are too close. WA5 is good because the rectifiers are separate from the drive tubes.

This configuration buzzed as it has wires for the rectifier and drive tubes.

This was totally quiet as it only had wires for the rectifier.

I didn't really listen to this configuration 596, RCA 6SN7 and GE6AS7GA. I was more listening/testing for buzz. I listen to a few familiar tracks. I was surprised. It sounded better than I thought it would. I haven't listened to the RCA6SN7 for a long while. More listening over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back