Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #38,941 of 42,298
Hello
I have a WA6-SE and a Headphone Audeze LCD-3, last version 110ohms. I am using rectifier tubes USAF 596 and drivers tubes 6gl7, 6fd7 and 6rd7. My question is in which output (High or Low) is more technically correct to my LCD-3 (110ohms). 110 ohms is considered high or low impedance?
Thank you

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #38,942 of 42,298
[COLOR=454545]Hello[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]I have a WA6-SE and a Headphone Audeze LCD-3, last version 110ohms. I am using rectifier tubes USAF 596 and drivers tubes 6gl7, 6fd7 and 6rd7. My question is in which output (High or Low) is more technically correct to my LCD-3 (110ohms). 110 ohms is considered high or low impedance?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Thank you[/COLOR]

It's whatever setting sounds best. I did a lot of switching between high and low on my WA22 / LCD3C combo and preferred the low setting. There wasn't really a lot in it tho.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #38,943 of 42,298
I would also agree with Badas the low impedance side sounds better, but i'm also using high gain tubes (ts 5998's), when I use something like a mullard 6080 it sounds best on high with hp's on speakers best is set to low fun to just play..Enjoy

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #38,944 of 42,298
Cool. Thanks for the impressions guys.

That's too bad, maybe it still needs some more work in prototype form before it's ready.

WA22-SE is still in development phase. The sound is far from being finalized. Look for more prototype showings and estimated launch in Spring / Summer 2017.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #38,945 of 42,298
  WA22-SE is still in development phase. The sound is far from being finalized. Look for more prototype showings and estimated launch in Spring / Summer 2017.

You mean...start saving up?

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #38,946 of 42,298
As someone who was thinking about getting into the WA5 world, but in a few years, it will be interesting to see what the WA22-SE can offer over the WA5. I've heard such conviction in the completely conflicting reports of balanced versus single ended that I don't really know what to think. Not that this will put that to rest, since it is 2 different amps, but it will be interesting to see what people's impressions are when it finally comes to market.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #38,948 of 42,298
I recently picked up a WA7tp setup and am thrilled, I didn't know a headphone system could sound so good!

The WA7 is a great little amp. I use it at work and keep surprising myself with how good it is. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

If you haven't already upgraded tubes I recommend the Electro Harmonix gold pins. I have a pair of cryoed EHs and they are even better.

What headphones are you running with the WA7

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #38,949 of 42,298
Right now I'm using the ElectroHarmonix Gold in the amp and Mullard CV4003 in the power supply, with a pair of Oppo PM-3. Eventually I'd like to try the LCD 2 but for now, this sounds amazing and my wife would already kill me if she had any idea how much I spent haha. I haven't gotten around to trying the stock tubes to see the difference but that may be my goal for the weekend. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #38,950 of 42,298
Right now I'm using the ElectroHarmonix Gold in the amp and Mullard CV4003 in the power supply, with a pair of Oppo PM-3. Eventually I'd like to try the LCD 2 but for now, this sounds amazing and my wife would already kill me if she had any idea how much I spent haha. I haven't gotten around to trying the stock tubes to see the difference but that may be my goal for the weekend. 

May I recommend the ZMF Blackwood? I sold my LCD-2s because of these gems. They sound very similar to the LCD-2 but give you much more micro detail. Highly recommended and they cost a lot less. Plus Zach from ZMF is the best.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #38,951 of 42,298
I got 1/2 of my WA5 delivered (the other half comes tomorrow!) from the seller, and after it arrived, I set about cleaning it up, as it arrived a bit  dusty, and the finish seemed dull compared to my WA22. An hour with some good metal polish made the amp glow once again, and I next spent a good 30 min cleaning the various contacts - tube pins, RCA and speaker jacks, with electronic contact cleaner and Q-tips. I used 15 of them, and each was pretty black with oxidation, dirt, and dust (I cleaned the outsides and took some of the cotton off and cleaned the inside of the RCA jack too).

That got my thinking about the WA22, and I spent another 20 min cleaning the RCA pins, tube sockets, and the RCA cable ends. Once again, I had a pile of dirty Qtips. Hooked the WA22 back up, and wow - it sure sounded better. I was surprised how oxidized the contacts were and I wonder if that was responsible for it sounding better.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #38,952 of 42,298
The other half of the WA5 came in today, and some additional cleaning and it was ready to try out. I popped in a set of fresh Genelec 300Bs, otherwise it's running Sylvania 6SN7s and Sovtek 5AU4s (I had some Brimars but they were noisy on the WA5).

Waiting to let the Genelecs burn in, but first impressions are very positive! This amp has some serious power - it grips the LCD3's like nothing else, and the HD650's...wow, it's amazing how they come alive with this kind of power.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #38,953 of 42,298
I got 1/2 of my WA5 delivered (the other half comes tomorrow!) from the seller, and after it arrived, I set about cleaning it up, as it arrived a bit  dusty, and the finish seemed lightly dull compared to my WA22. An hour with some good metal polish made the amp glow once again, and I next spent a good 30 min cleaning the various contacts - tube pins, RCA and speaker jacks, with electronic contact cleaner and Q-tips. I used 15 of them, and each was pretty black with oxidation, dirt, and dust (I cleaned the outsides and took some of the cotton off and cleaned the inside of the RCA jack too).

That got my thinking about the WA22, and I spent another 20 min cleaning the RCA pins, tube sockets, and the RCA cable ends. Once again, I had a pile of dirty Qtips. Hooked the WA22 back up, and wow - it sure sounded better. I was surprised how oxidized the contacts were and I wonder if that was responsible for it sounding better.

The other half of the WA5 came in today, and some additional cleaning and it was ready to try out. I popped in a set of fresh Genelec 300Bs, otherwise it's running Sylvania 6SN7s and Sovtek 5AU4s (I had some Brimars but they were noisy on the WA5).

Waiting to let the Genelecs burn in, but first impressions are very positive! This amp has some serious power - it grips the LCD3's like nothing else, and the HD650's...wow, it's amazing how they come alive with this kind of power.

Congrats Dave! Nice setup! Welcome to the WA5 club!

How are the Genalex 300Bs compared to the stock tubes that came with your WA5?

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #38,954 of 42,298
Nice turntable. I've looked at that one myself. Nothing like the sound of turntable + tubes. I also strongly considered the EAR 834P.

We've got quite similar turntable setups. Mine is in my signature.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #38,955 of 42,298
Congrats Dave! Nice setup! Welcome to the WA5 club!

How are the Genalex 300Bs compared to the stock tubes that came with your WA5?

That's it? Just a "welcome"?  You said there'd be t-shirts! (Seriously, how about a tee with a large 300B tube, with "Tube, or not Tube. That is the Question." printed underneath)​.

Jerick, note your old WA22 next door - I still like the sound of this amp with the Sennheiser, and it pairs nicely with the balanced outs from my Sony HAPZ1ES...I may keep it for a basement system, which is saying something since I don't have a basement.

Hard to tell on the Genlecs with just one day, as they need to burn in likely. I'll give it a week and then swap for the Shugang's.

I may need to find some more Brimars or maybe pop for another Sophia Princess to make it a full pair. damn, this amp is an excuse to light money on fire.

Left Side, the EAR is a recent purchase too. I'm sending it out to the EAR factory tech, Mitch Singerman, who swaps the stock caps, diodes, and resistors for premium parts, and it is supposed to make the EAR unbeatable. But I hear nice things about the Alnic too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back