Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #35,626 of 42,298
Yes my 274a is from 56. It is nice. Might get a ta274 next

Yeah I think the 1950's seem just a bit tighter in the bass and midrange.  I was surprised that it could get that way.  However for example the metal 5ar4 is a little more relaxed but still liquid midrange that is just as good.  They're all excellent to me just a matter of preference I guess.

fyi, I just recently acquired the 50's 274a and was about to post just as I read your post.  The taks must be impressive. 
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #35,628 of 42,298
Yeah I think the 1950's seem just a bit tighter in the bass and midrange.  I was surprised that it could get that way.  However for example the metal 5ar4 is a little more relaxed but still liquid midrange that is just as good.  They're all excellent to me just a matter of preference I guess.

fyi, I just recently acquired the 50's 274a and was about to post just as I read your post.  The taks must be impressive.  :popcorn:  

For how good this we274a is, the taks must be unbelievable! About the same price too!

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #35,629 of 42,298
Just got a WA5LE with Hifiman He1000. Result is pure bliss and I havent gotten any sleep !! WA5 drives HE1000s with impunity and impact.

Looking to get the takas this week, maybe from A2A here in Sydney or from Pricejapan. Eitherway ridiculously expensive. But A2A is approximately 2k AUD more for fart all value.

I tried something different with my circuit, wondering what other people feel - Metrum DAC --> Auralic Taurus MKII --> WA5LE --> Hifiman with silver Townsend Isolda between the DAC and Auralic and Purist Audio Design Provectus Revision cable between the Taurus and WA5LE. Result of this hybrid combo I expect to be very refined extension and imaging with pure bliss in the midrange (stock tubes only).

Other circuits I can probably go are a upsampling DSD DAC rather than a metrum direct to WA5, as the metrum is very analogue sounding and I felt that combined directly with WA5 without something solid state in the middle makes the imaging almost too warm/analogue sounding with loss of definition and a bit of muddyness.

Not sure how much value upgrading the DAC will give in this case ??

Im gonna read back into the forum and see what 6SN7 tubes are popular but I expect takatsuki 300b and 274 tubes to remain in the amp all the time and tube rolling the 6sn7 tubes. Cant wait to read up more!!!

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #35,630 of 42,298
Hmm so it seems C3Gs have an excellent reputation here - but they need some sort of an adaptor to fit into WA5??

Just had a few questions, I am a complete noob when it comes to tube design, infact dont even know what NOS really means.

Would using this tube void warranty? What are the potential effects of using it in the WA5 and why cannot the WA5 accept it in the first place? Is there some technical reason?

I am interested in trying it out, where do I order Lorenz C3gs and do they come in with an adaptor natively?

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #35,631 of 42,298
Please excuse the noobness in my query, but I am curious about using a tube amp as a preamp.  What happens to the volts and impedance say when you put a tube preamp in between a DAC and Solid state amp?

Let's say a tube preamp has impedance of 8ohm and the next in line solid state amp has 1ohm impedance.  Will they get added up or it remain at 1ohm?

Thank you.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #35,632 of 42,298
  Just got a WA5LE with Hifiman He1000. Result is pure bliss and I havent gotten any sleep !! WA5 drives HE1000s with impunity and impact.

Is this the recently upgraded WA5-LE or original? I have the original and am very interested in impressions from owners of the new WA5-LE.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #35,633 of 42,298
This is the V2. I listened to the WA5 v1 at a audiophile shop in Sydney - I dont know what the circuit was but at the shop, auditioning with the WA5 v1 I found the sound to have a bit more hiss, bit brighter and not as meaty and I was thinking - its good but would I pay that much.

On the V2, extremely low noise floor, no hiss at all while turning up the volume and I really like the clean sound. Also not as bright so that emphasis is on the lush midrange. I think there's an improvement. Furthermore, experimenting with settings on my headphones, with the Hifiman HE1000 at least, the sound presentation is quite different on different settings - I am using the recommended settings for this headphone and find the sound to be more meaty & full on this setting whereas a bit harsh / more treble focused on others. And I think this customization, for me at least makes it worth having over the V1 which was pretty good but having heard this one as well as considering the more customizable options which let you to more readily adapt different headphones is what makes it worth having and letting you squeeze that extra for your dollar.

Have a read if you havent already - http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/09/27/review-woo-audio-wa5le-v2-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier/

And I also auditioned it with the Liquid Audio gold, I thought the Woo was miles ahead in terms of sophistication of music it presented, more engaging as well as a more coherent presentation of music where you could actually clearly see patterns and a synergy between different sections of the piece that I was unable to register with the cavali - the music progression actually flowed, an amazing sensation that I have never had before and its so subjective it probably doesnt make too much sense but I think this came from the micro and macro detail and progression on wa5. Maybe it doesnt do bass as well as cavalli, but for long term listening - actually making music more interesting V2 WA5 did an outstanding job. Definitely a step up from V1 but again how much? To me even a 5% increase in quality of sonics, in the above parameters makes it worth having.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #35,634 of 42,298

Looking to get the takas this week, maybe from A2A here in Sydney or from Pricejapan. Eitherway ridiculously expensive. But A2A is approximately 2k AUD more for fart all value.

I tried something different with my circuit, wondering what other people feel - Metrum DAC --> Auralic Taurus MKII --> WA5LE --> Hifiman with silver Townsend Isolda between the DAC and Auralic and Purist Audio Design Provectus Revision cable between the Taurus and WA5LE. Result of this hybrid combo I expect to be very refined extension and imaging with pure bliss in the midrange (stock tubes only).

Other circuits I can probably go are a upsampling DSD DAC rather than a metrum direct to WA5, as the metrum is very analogue sounding and I felt that combined directly with WA5 without something solid state in the middle makes the imaging almost too warm/analogue sounding with loss of definition and a bit of muddyness.

Not sure how much value upgrading the DAC will give in this case ??

Im gonna read back into the forum and see what 6SN7 tubes are popular but I expect takatsuki 300b and 274 tubes to remain in the amp all the time and tube rolling the 6sn7 tubes. Cant wait to read up more!!!

Is it the upgraded or stock wa5le?  How does the he1000 sound through the 4pin out and the single ended?  Which do you prefer?  And what other headphones are you using if any?  Interesting. 
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #35,637 of 42,298
try cleaning up your tubes pins with a  piece of fine emery paper or sand paper that works for me sometimes it's just noisey tubes too..

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #35,639 of 42,298
Hi everyone,
I have WA6 and I can hear hum noise from both amp and Grado headphone.
I tried other tubes but still I can hear the noise.
Is this normal?
I want to hear from other WA6 user.
Thanks!

Some information that would be helpful in diagnosing the issue:

Unplug all cables except for power. Does it still hum?
Does another amp, if you have on, hum when connected?
Try plugging it into an outlet on another circuit. Does it hum there as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back