Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #35,236 of 42,298
I have a question relating to this topic.

Does a member know what we should be looking for or listening for when a tube or tubes are reaching their end life???

I don't know.

Do they just end up sounding worse? Lose power? Or just stop or blow up? Is there some signs?

I guess we just roll tubes to find out which tube or set of tubes are worn out as well.

An EOL tube (i.e. one that doesn't succumb to premature failure) will have lower MU conductance and won't amplify as much (e.g. less gain).  However, it's been said that an audio vacuum tube sounds its best just before it dies.  Measurements from a tube tester is probably the best way!

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #35,237 of 42,298

Does a member know what we should be looking for or listening for when a tube or tubes are reaching their end life???

I don't know.

Do they just end up sounding worse? Lose power? Or just stop or blow up? Is there some signs?

I guess we just roll tubes to find out which tube or set of tubes are worn out as well.

+1
As I would like to know also.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #35,238 of 42,298
Am I still the only person on this thread with a mutual conductance tube tester? That's shameful considering there are plenty others with much bigger tube collections. :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #35,239 of 42,298
I have a TV7 B/U, modified to read plate current similar to 539

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #35,240 of 42,298
+1
As I would like to know also.

Guys, this is a very open/ subjective issue!  The response entirely depends on the failure type (definition), and an existing tube working within a  given design/ engineering architecture.

FWIW -"This question is bigger than a bread basket."

Please enjoy the music, you'll know when it's time for a new tube... seriously... I hope. lol

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #35,242 of 42,298
  Am I still the only person on this thread with a mutual conductance tube tester? That's shameful considering there are plenty others with much bigger tube collections. :)

Yes!  I have a Hickok 6000 tube tester and that keeps things honest for me.  Bur many threaders here need to rely on the seller which (unfortunately the case) is not always the best solution.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #35,243 of 42,298

I don't know.

I was using a Sophia Princess 274b it started making noise and also it was glowing very bright alot more than the newer tube i have also i had to turn up the volume more so i figured its was  probably going so back it went in the tube caddy ,cant throw art away lol.                                

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #35,244 of 42,298

Consider me shamed   
deadhorse.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #35,245 of 42,298

I was using a Sophia Princess 274b it started making noise and also it was glowing very bright alot more than the newer tube i have also i had to turn up the volume more so i figured its was  probably going so back it went in the tube caddy ,cant throw art aw

Making noise and glowing more brightly (for a rectifier, or any tube) is not a good sign.  At the very least,  It means the tube or amplifier is driven to an out-of-spec scenario.  If you replace tubes and that situation goes away, then likely you have a bad tube and/ or a tube that is being operated outside it's design spec.

My 2Cents!  YMMV (but I doubt it!)

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #35,247 of 42,298
Sep 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #35,248 of 42,298
  Ordered (4) Jupiter caps today for the WA22 , hope to swap them out next week 

I would think they should present an perceivable improvement once broken-in.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #35,249 of 42,298
Me too...... :weary::weary::weary:

No one should be shamed; but you honestly may want to consider a tube tester going forward.  Then again, maybe not, as you may need to dive deeper into electronic/ electrical engineering.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss, trust your ears as they are the ultimate deciding factor.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #35,250 of 42,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back