Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #33,886 of 42,298

True but only at the Takatsuki, WE level, the 45's I have are better than the Elrog's especially in the bass area.

Always have referred 45's over 300b and 2A3.  No tube can outperform the 45s in clarity/transparency in the migrange, especially for female vocal.  Surprise to read 45 bass > Elrog 300b.  Bass has always been the 45 Achilles' heel.

BTW, nos 45 or new 45 (EML, KR)?    

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #33,888 of 42,298
Stocking up
:point_right:♨️:notes:

Cool. You have the NU in 6F and 6C. They sounded identical to me. The 6C has higher gain tho. Let us know if you pick a difference.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #33,889 of 42,298

Always have referred 45's over 300b and 2A3.  No tube can outperform the 45s in clarity/transparency in the migrange, especially for female vocal.  Surprise to read 45 bass > Elrog 300b.  Bass has always been the 45 Achilles' heel.

BTW, nos 45 or new 45 (EML, KR)?    

NOS 45's Syvannia's - early 1940's I was surprised to at their bass performance, retains all of the good aspect of the Elrog's and fills in the bottom end nicely.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #33,890 of 42,298
  i already have them and really like them. I bet they will pair beautiful with your Woo Monos because they do like power and the more the better they sound.
They are a lot lighter than the HE-6 and much more comfortable too. The bass is great, Some people has complained about the midrange being a little receded but I personally don't find it like that. I am using a WireWorld Nano Platinum cable (OCC silver) and really open them up and I am waiting for a DHC Complement4.

Thank you, some positive feedback for a change, these headphone seem to Polarise peoples opinions. 

How much difference did the Wireworld HP cable make over stock? Did it improve the midrange?

How do you rank compared to the Audeze LCD-3F's & or X's? You are correct about Headphone needing a lot of power, I could not believe how different the 3F's sounded when being driven by the 234's. I have the DHC Spore 4 Fusion and very happy with it, Peter is sending out the pure Silver Spore 4 cables for comparison. I have never been a fan of pure silver cables however Peter really knows his stuff so will be interesting.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #33,891 of 42,298
You should be able to do that with Audio Perfection in Richfield. They carry Chord and Rega and I suspect they would let you bring in your laptop and your WA6 and have at it.

The problem with a used Rega is you really want the new model (DAC-R), because they've updated the USB receiver chipset to modern standards (async, 192/24); with the original version, you will need a USB-to-S/PDIF converter for higher sample rates, if you are into that sort of thing. Personally, I think that's a better solution, electrically, but it costs more and it's an extra box.
Thanks Krutsch. I'll get over there as soon as I get my new toy put together, and the lawn mowed.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #33,892 of 42,298
Been listening to my WA22 with Tung Sol 6SU7GTY as drivers really like there sound ,separation of instruments and soundstage extra wide with HD800 rectifier is a 5R4WGB along with  Chatham 6AS7G as power tubes                                                                              

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #33,893 of 42,298
  Been listening to my WA22 with Tung Sol 6SU7GTY as drivers really like there sound ,separation of instruments and soundstage extra wide with HD800 rectifier is a 5R4WGB along with  Chatham 6AS7G as power tubes                                                                              

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #33,894 of 42,298

NOS 45's Syvannia's - early 1940's I was surprised to at their bass performance, retains all of the good aspect of the Elrog's and fills in the bottom end nicely.

Old 45s are great, Sylvania, Ken-rad, National Union, Philco, Raytheon, RCA, Tung Sol.  I, sometimes, refer them over the new EML 45s.  The EML 45s mid-range not as clear as the NOS but the bass extends a little better (as least for EML 45 mesh).  You should try to get hold of 45/245/345 Globes.  Hard to grab a NOS set, but their mid-range is the sweetest.

I'm trying 46 tubes now, alleged to be even better than 45s.         

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #33,895 of 42,298
Picked up my new WA5 with parts upgrade today… am pretty blown away, and that's just with the stock tubes.  Already have some new ones coming to roll with, too.

Heard that Woo has just raised the price on their WA5, too.  It also now comes with the parts upgrade automatically, and chimes in around $5200.  I think the owner of the store said they were ceasing production on the WA5 LE, but honestly, my mind was going a mile a minute in that store, and all I could do was think about rushing home to plug my beast in, so don't quote me.

I also ended up with a Rega DAC, which apparently didn't make it home with the power chord, so I couldn't test it out tonight.  

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #33,896 of 42,298
michaelkeeney, congrats on the new gear. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #33,897 of 42,298

Thank you, some positive feedback for a change, these headphone seem to Polarise peoples opinions. 

How much difference did the Wireworld HP cable make over stock? Did it improve the midrange?

How do you rank compared to the Audeze LCD-3F's & or X's? You are correct about Headphone needing a lot of power, I could not believe how different the 3F's sounded when being driven by the 234's. I have the DHC Spore 4 Fusion and very happy with it, Peter is sending out the pure Silver Spore 4 cables for comparison. I have never been a fan of pure silver cables however Peter really knows his stuff so will be interesting.

Yes, there was an improvement with the WireWorld cable IMO since it is OCC Silver. To me the transparency got even better, the bass tighter (but without sacrificing the lower end), the midrange came up more ( I did not have a problem with the midrange as other people had expressed) and the soundstage got slightly bigger too.

Even that these headphones supose to be fairly efficient I can tell they do like power. I just listen to them list night out of the speakers tabs of my McIntosh MHA100 which will provive just over 10 watts at the HE1000 impedance and they sounded even better. The main changes were on the bass control and soundstage got bigger and more holographic.

I have no experience with the Audeze headphones. I tried the original LCD-3 at RMAF before they went out to the market and loved them. I order a pair (twice) and they sounded totally different (for the bad). I even compared one of those two that I ordered to Jude's pair (his are form those at RMAF) side by side and they sounded totally different so form that point on I was turned off from Audeze. I told Jude the only Audeze headphones I would buy are his.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 12, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #33,898 of 42,298
I did not care for the 2's or 3's. I love the X's and am glad I bought them

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #33,899 of 42,298
michaelkeeney, congrats on the new gear. Looking forward to your impressions.

Thanks bpcans. Certainly made my grados sound a hell of a lot better.

I also had the opportunity to listen to the new Abyss cans while I was in the store through some fancy solid state amp. That was pretty mind blowing, however I'm not sure on the comfort level of those things. Thats a different thread, tho.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #33,900 of 42,298
Thanks bpcans. Certainly made my grados sound a hell of a lot better.

I also had the opportunity to listen to the new Abyss cans while I was in the store through some fancy solid state amp. That was pretty mind blowing, however I'm not sure on the comfort level of those things. Thats a different thread, tho.
Your very welcome MK. IMHO Grado hp's and Woo amplifiers are a great sonic match. I totally understand where your coming from with the feel, comfort, and weight of some of the flagship headphones out there. I really liked the Mcintosh MHP-1000's, Audeze LCD-X's, the Abyss, and the HE-1000's, all were so much more uncomfortable than my Grado RS1i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back