Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 3, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #33,706 of 42,298
Just when I thought I knew the lingo of some of these tube descriptions, I'm again confused.

When describing "round plate" or "flat plate" or "T-plate", what exactly is this plate you are all referring to?  The vertically or horizontally oriented structures?   Is it called "round plate" on that tung-sol 6F8G on Badas' W22 amp because the horizontal structure is round when looking at the tube from above?   Lastly, what is this spacing you refer to -- the spacing between the plate and the glass?

I ask because I just acquired a couple of pairs of 6F8G tubes (Tung Sol and National Union) and both pairs look very similar with the same blacked out lower portion of the glass as in Badas' pic.  But now I'm not sure if mine are the "good" kind... perhaps I will post pics later.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #33,707 of 42,298
TS-BGRP 1942-44
Tung-Sol Black Glass Round Plate is what I had in my Black WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #33,708 of 42,298
  Just when I thought I knew the lingo of some of these tube descriptions, I'm again confused.

When describing "round plate" or "flat plate" or "T-plate", what exactly is this plate you are all referring to?  The vertically or horizontally oriented structures?   Is it called "round plate" on that tung-sol 6F8G on Badas' W22 amp because the horizontal structure is round when looking at the tube from above?   Lastly, what is this spacing you refer to -- the spacing between the plate and the glass?

I ask because I just acquired a couple of pairs of 6F8G tubes (Tung Sol and National Union) and both pairs look very similar with the same blacked out lower portion of the glass as in Badas' pic.  But now I'm not sure if mine are the "good" kind... perhaps I will post pics later.

The discs that are horizontal are called micras
The plates that are vertical are called plates. They can be all different shapes and colours. Flat, T or round. Usually black or Grey however I have seen chrome as well.
There is also getters. Which can be round, square or D which is half round with a straight bit.

Here is a pic of a round plate. See plates are round.

Here is a pic of the flat plate. The plates look exactly like a RCA 6SN7 and I suspect they are. Flat with a 3 step ladder embossed in it.

Here is what they look like without the paint. Tung-Sol make it hard as they paint over the area. You must be careful.

Here is a pic of a T plate. Made by Sylvania rebranded as Tung-Sol. See the plate is folded to make a T shape.

The Tung-Sol round plate is amazing. The flat plate sounds like a RCA which is not bad but not worth any extra $$'s than what RCA sell for. The T plates are dog crap sounding.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #33,709 of 42,298

The plates are the vertical structures, the top of the tubes holding the plates in place are the Mica's. Spacing is usually the gap between the Mica's and the plates. Be worthwhile doing a wiki search on vacuum tubes to help you pick up the lingo, it can be a little intimidating at first. Certainly was for me !

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #33,710 of 42,298
  How did you paint the red bits to your amp? Did you take the bits to a car painter or something?

Yes, I took it to a custom car painting shop and paid $500.00 for the paint job.
Totally kidding…All the workmanship credit goes to my father. All I did was come up with the idea, paint it and apply it too the amp. I went to Home Depot and bought a plank of Oak and Martha Stewarts (Barn Red) paint, then wiped it on the oak with my two fingers then immediately wiped it off with a cotton T-shirt and repeated this until the Oak absorbed the paint too my liking, then let it dry (about 10-minutes) then applied it too the amp with silicon. The total cost was under $12.00.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #33,711 of 42,298
great info all, thanks!

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #33,712 of 42,298
  Yes, I took it to a custom car painting shop and paid $500.00 for the paint job.
Totally kidding…All the workmanship credit goes to my father. All I did was come up with the idea, paint it and apply it too the amp. I went to Home Depot and bought a plank of Oak and Martha Stewarts (Barn Red) paint, then wiped it on the oak with my two fingers then immediately wiped it off with a cotton T-shirt and repeated this until the Oak absorbed the paint too my liking, then let it dry (about 10-minutes) then applied it too the amp with silicon. The total cost was under $12.00.

I like it 
biggrin.gif
 be nice to see more modded amps down the track, like computer rigs.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #33,714 of 42,298

excellent... did you use some kind of high temperature paint?   I'm guessing most regular paints would probably not hold up well over time with repeated heat cycles.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #33,715 of 42,298

It looks fantastic.

great info all, thanks!

What you have to watch with all tubes is the sellers.

If a seller has Tung-Sol round plates they will advertise it as such as they know they are the best. They will also demand the $$'s.

If a seller has flat plates they will advertise like this TUNG-SOL Black plates. Technically nothing wrong but trying to make out they are special. Then they will try and get round plate $$'s.

If a seller has T plates they will just sell them at Sylvania prices. Altho there might be a cheeky seller try to sell them as something special.

Always buy from what you see internally.

I like it 
biggrin.gif
 be nice to see more modded amps down the track, like computer rigs.

Yes it would. Those WA22's with the writing coloured in a few weeks back was a step in the right direction.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #33,716 of 42,298

Still have the NU? want to sale them? 
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #33,720 of 42,298
  excellent... did you use some kind of high temperature paint?   I'm guessing most regular paints would probably not hold up well over time with repeated heat cycles.

Thank you very much!
No, I used Martha Stewarts Barn Red (Glidden Duo Tintable Tester Interior Eggshell Paint+Primer all in one) and have no issues at all with heat…as a matter of fact, my WA6 only gets slightly warm even after listening for 4-5 hours. Same goes for the silicon holding the wood on, no issues at all, and I can easily remove the wood if the amp needed to be sent to Woo for any reason.

It looks fantastic.

Thanks again.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back