Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #29,176 of 42,298

anyway long story short -  i fall in line with everybody else's opinion of the 5998's compared to the other 6as7g's (apart from GEC) - its true they really are a far superior tube.

i knew you'd come around eventually 
biggrin.gif

i could care less for the RCA 6AS7G and theres a reason i ended up with 5 pairs of 5998/2399 and a pair of 421A...

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #29,178 of 42,298
  Now the question DG. Did you buy a car ??

Pic plzzzz if you have.  We all would like to see if your new car has sockets for tubes anywhere.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #29,180 of 42,298
  Now the question DG. Did you buy a car ??

no. unfortunately i'm looking at more expensive cars now.....

brand new for 2014, the Mercedes-Benz CLA 250, costs about as much as I would pay for the fully-loaded V6 Nissan Altima I was looking at. Around 30-31k

Fully-loaded Altima

Also really interested in the new Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S (Toyota-made). Really love the look here, I swear it kinda reminds me of the Supra in a way, Also kinda looks like a Porsche/Ferrari kinda exotic, has that super car look to it. Almost 30k for it with everything.

oh and theres the super cute 2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata, also about 30k Fully-loaded with Black hardtop, this one would probably be really nice, but small with limited space.

of course the cheaper option is the Fully-loaded Corolla at just under 24k (cheaper than the other cars here by like 6-7k).

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #29,181 of 42,298
^ nice looking cars.  Keep in mind the $ on tune up/potential repair after warranty is up.  Merc and Euro cars are excellent cars to drive.  Repair/tune up are not cheap however.  Japanese/American cars are much less costly.  
I drove the Scion.  It was a friend's.  I liked it a lot.  
I also test-drove the Merc with my brother.  We were not impressed and he ended up with 2013 GLK350 somehow.  
biggrin.gif
 This was just last month.  Miatas are fun to drive in more consistent sunny weather like in CA.  Not sure, how it is over there for you.  Little space though!
Our family used to own a car junk yard.  I auctioned, bought, traded, repaired, resold too many cars.  I learned a lot.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #29,182 of 42,298
aww didn't like the new one in the picture then? it seems really nice. brand new car though, but mercedes for just over 30k!!

the FR-S seems nice but not sure on it, seems like the interior isn't as nice and not sure how reliable it will be (it does have a toyota engine though).

The Toyota is the cheapest but has small engine and the CVT transmission.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #29,183 of 42,298
^ The Altima has a pretty responsive engine and good acceleration.  The Merc does drive like a typical Euro car.  It's quite dead on with the other C class models.  My friend has the Scion since the model came out.  Not a single problem yet.  Honestly, if you can budget later tuneup+other maintenance cost, go for the Merc.  You do only live once!  but If you can't and it will be a stretch financially, go for the corolla and still have money for other toys.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #29,184 of 42,298
  ^ The Altima has a pretty responsive engine and good acceleration.  The Merc does drive like a typical Euro car.  It's quite dead on with the other C class models.  My friend has the Scion since the model came out.  Not a single problem yet.  Honestly, if you can budget later tuneup+other maintenance cost, go for the Merc.  You do only live once!  but If you can't and it will be a stretch financially, go for the corolla and still have money for other toys.

thats true!!

plus the corolla S actually has alot of really nice features and options, mostly climate control, front heated seats, has nice LED headlights and fog lights as well, navigation, moonroof, backup camera, steering wheel controls, an almost as nice dash, and a push to start button. other stuff is equally good having nicer wheels and softex seats on the fully loaded one. just the weaker engine/transmission

the mercedes has enough stuff stock to keep me happy, but the nicer headlights would be an upgrade and no moonroof on the car stock. also no push to start and the stock seats are a nice pleather similar to the corolla, real leather costs more. also don't know if the stock speaker system is good or no better than the corolla. of course, the merc also will have better handling and it has a really nice engine as well.

seems like the altima would be nicer cause v6 + most luxuries as well, but costs as much or more than the merc and is nowhere near as cool and won't exactly handle the same way. also interior is nice but not better than the merc, leather isn't that great either (same thing on my co-workers 2009 maxima)

its sooo hard to choose, also if i do go for anything other than the corolla, i'll have to put up a huge down payment and will probably finish selling off my rig except for GSX/mytek and 1 or 2 headphones. and that could change too. 

that merc is just super sexy. 21 years old, single, and driving that kinda car 
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #29,185 of 42,298
I imagine of all those cars you picked the Merc would be the least regretful decision....till something goes wrong$$$$$$

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #29,186 of 42,298

thats true!!

plus the corolla S actually has alot of really nice features and options, mostly climate control, front heated seats, has nice LED headlights and fog lights as well, navigation, moonroof, backup camera, steering wheel controls, an almost as nice dash, and a push to start button. other stuff is equally good having nicer wheels and softex seats on the fully loaded one. just the weaker engine/transmission

the mercedes has enough stuff stock to keep me happy, but the nicer headlights would be an upgrade and no moonroof on the car stock. also no push to start and the stock seats are a nice pleather similar to the corolla, real leather costs more. also don't know if the stock speaker system is good or no better than the corolla. of course, the merc also will have better handling and it has a really nice engine as well.

seems like the altima would be nicer cause v6 + most luxuries as well, but costs as much or more than the merc and is nowhere near as cool and won't exactly handle the same way. also interior is nice but not better than the merc, leather isn't that great either (same thing on my co-workers 2009 maxima)

its sooo hard to choose, also if i do go for anything other than the corolla, i'll have to put up a huge down payment and will probably finish selling off my rig except for GSX/mytek and 1 or 2 headphones. and that could change too. 

that merc is just super sexy. 21 years old, single, and driving that kinda car 
biggrin.gif

Enough said!  I decide for you.  Go for the Merc.  You seem to have a stable job/income based on your collection of tubes and HP gears.  Go for it.  Hell with practical this round.  
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #29,187 of 42,298
  Enough said!  I decide for you.  Go for the Merc.  You seem to have a stable job/income based on your collection of tubes and HP gears.  Go for it.  Hell with practical this round.  
tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

kinda wish i didn't spend so much money on audio equipment, I could definitely have afforded it by now. 

of course, i can still do a 30% down payment on the merc i think. then its not too bad.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #29,188 of 42,298

ph34r.gif

kinda wish i didn't spend so much money on audio equipment, I could definitely have afforded it by now. 

of course, i can still do a 30% down payment on the merc i think. then its not too bad.

DG, another option to seriously look at is leasing.  You are still young and probably wanna switch car in 3 years or so.  Even with 30% down($11,000), monthly payment will still be around $660/month for 36 months at 0% interest.  Go check out the lease options at your local dealers.  It might make more sense for you and save some $.  

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #29,189 of 42,298
  DG, another option to seriously look at is leasing.  You are still young and probably wanna switch car in 3 years or so.  Even with 30% down($11,000), monthly payment will still be around $660/month for 36 months at 0% interest.  Go check out the lease options at your local dealers.  It might make more sense for you and save some $.  

thats not too bad for 36 months, i'd probably go for 60 months which would drop it way down. 

i don't plan on leasing, if i'm buying, i'm buying to keep and planning on keeping for a good long time, especially a 30k car. the corolla would be cheaper and would also be kept for a long time. in other words, i'll save and when i'm almost 30, i'll buy a Lotus (my dream car) 
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #29,190 of 42,298

thats not too bad for 36 months, i'd probably go for 60 months which would drop it way down. 

i don't plan on leasing, if i'm buying, i'm buying to keep and planning on keeping for a good long time, especially a 30k car. the corolla would be cheaper and would also be kept for a long time. in other words, i'll save and when i'm almost 30, i'll buy a Lotus (my dream car) 
biggrin.gif

Noooooooooooo!  no Lotus. In 10 years, there will be better options but yeah, that car is REALLY fun to drive.  Turning and handling like a good go cart.  it's that stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back