Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #25,636 of 42,298
i haven't come across this before in the thread but then again i haven't read the 1706 pages on it. vacuumtubes.net could of told me before hand. maybe the expected me to know this already but i am a greenhorn unfortunately! i am going to have to apologies to dale for sending him an angry email .................... oops. 
frown.gif

When I called to order mine last week they told me I might get either one. I received a pair of the Chathams. Based on previous discussions on this forum, that was fine with me.

May 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #25,638 of 42,298
Quote:
Just to be clear, the pinging I refer to is not in the headphones - it is in the tube and I hear it with my ears.

There are several different types of metal inside the tube, each with different coefficient of expansion, or COE.

It's a tiny welded structure. Heat it and it will make some sounds.

Also, I am one of those nuts that really really prefers 15 to 60 minutes of warm-up before turning on the music. Again, it's about temperature-equalization, and general stability.

I haven't any data on that concept-only by experience I feel that my memorable listening sessions are always preceded by diligent warm-ups.

An inexpensive IR thermometer is quite useful to plot thermal changes. Most tubes equilibrate in 10 to 20 minutes and all the distracting pings, dinks and electronic serenades tend to cease.

May 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #25,639 of 42,298
Quote:
An inexpensive IR thermometer is quite useful to plot thermal changes. Most tubes equilibrate in 10 to 20 minutes and all the distracting pings, dinks and electronic serenades tend to cease.

i started waiting at least 20 mins myself and i think you are on the ball there. i could hear the tubes popping myself without the headphones plugged in, all threw the first 10 mins is were most of the crackle and stuff happens - but just to be sure i am now giving them at least twenty minutes. I do not want to hear that arc again!

May 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #25,640 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Wow. I never prep. Okay. I flip the switch to the ON position when I enter the room. Go to the kitchen and pour myself a beverage. Return to my listening room. Then kick back and feel the music. My ears are probably not as acute as yours. Okay, perhaps a little more pointed.
tongue.gif

I remember the very first time. Like it was yesterday. When a young woman I'd met a few weeks prior, wanted to come by and see the listening room. "Head-Fi" came up during our first exchange... "So, what do you do at night?" Didn't seem like a trick question, so I answered. "I enjoy listening to music inside the room a few nights a week." 

I honored her request and in she came - never seen such oddities, configurations and placement before.  And wanted to know what was my (yes, head-fier's) attraction to wanting to sit and listen to music half the night. Before I could answer, I was peppered with "Why aren't you listening to any of it right now?" "Because I didn't schedule a listening session for tonight" I replied.

"It won't come on right now?" she asked. I tried to explain briefly, the art of ceremony and why I celebrate with scheduled listening sessions. Something got lost in translation - she remarked it all looked nice but would want something that works everyday.
confused.gif

blink.gif

Anyway...

...the long wind-up to a night of relaxation had more to do with time constraints. Often times, I didn't know when I could finally sit down or how long and listen for the night. By having the system warmed and ready, I was always in the sweet spot. For example, some nights proved difficult and I'd barely squeeze in a 30 to 60 minute session. Well, it takes long for the system to come on song - it'd have been time to shut down just as things were well on the way.
wink_face.gif

Wow, that's quite a ritual! The only time my rig warms up that long before listening is when I forget to shut it off the time before
wink.gif

Quote:

This is where I am at, more or less...

Never heard the word equilibrate before, must be a new one!
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #25,641 of 42,298
Just heard back from dale at vacuumtubes.net he said that there is no problem in returning tubes. He was really nice about it. He could not email me back because he had to drive 350 miles to his grandsons grad and his brother was covering for him on his own. Now i regret sending him a angry email considering that i have pretty much narrowed the problem (loud popping) down to not warming the tube's up enough. So after all this posting and with a lot of good advice from people here at headfi i have learned that - 3 MINUTES IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO WARM UP A HIGH GAIN TUBE. Bad mistake on my part. 

May 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #25,642 of 42,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd like to add that in my case with the Woo, my warm-ups had little to do with tubes pinging or not reaching operating temperature. My tubes didn't ping. Rather, the system in its totality would take much more time to come on song - where each piece of kit enters its own sweet spot operating wise.

This sweet spot is even different among the handful of amps and DACs I have. Further, we the listeners are instruments ourselves. Unbeknownst to many is their emotional state. May settle down to listen and they themselves may not be in the sweet spot for listening.

I have music flowing the whole time and do spot checks throughout hours one and two. The same 45 second sample in the first 15 minutes can sound very different one hour on, two hours on. 

Enjoyed many a 16-18 hour overnight sessions - some components simply sound better with a continuous flow of juice through them. Some music studios feel
wink_face.gif
 the same way. By the way, WooAudio recommends no more than 8 hours of continuous playback. In my case, I ran 6SN7 series tubes and the Woo ran as cool as the other side of the pillow... even in summer.

Just my experience. Did I ever mention I miss 
frown.gif
my Woo? 

May 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #25,643 of 42,298
Quote:
we the listeners are instruments ourselves. Unbeknownst to many is their emotional state. May settle down to listen and they themselves may not be in the sweet spot for listening.

Very well put...
o2smile.gif

May 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #25,644 of 42,298
Quote:

Very well put...
o2smile.gif

Thanks, grokit. You know, when it comes to my scheduling listening sessions, I'm as flexible as Gumby. If I ain't feelin' it one night, rather than burn my rare combo of tubes (TS-BGRP/USAF-596) I simply reschedule. 
ksc75smile.gif

May 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #25,646 of 42,298
I'm home! Fired up the WA22. It is RCA Victor night.
Using it with:

1) NOS RCA 5U4G (1951).
2) NOS RCA 6SN7 (clear top, long black plates)
2) NOS RCA 6AS7 (1958)

Let's see how these old timers sounds together. Has anyone ever loaded there Woos with one brand of manufacturer?

May 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #25,647 of 42,298
Fantastique! I didn't roll that much but did think about doing so at one time or another. Can't wait for you to re-emerge from the couch to share your thoughts. You know... on your way to the fridge. 
ksc75smile.gif

May 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #25,648 of 42,298
Mine sounds best after about an hour and a half. The headphones seem to not exist and there is just music.

I'd like to add that in my case with the Woo, my warm-ups had little to do with tubes pinging or not reaching operating temperature. My tubes didn't ping. Rather, the system in its totality would take much more time to come on song - where each piece of kit enters its own sweet spot operating wise.

This sweet spot is even different among the handful of amps and DACs I have. Further, we the listeners are instruments ourselves. Unbeknownst to many is their emotional state. May settle down to listen and they themselves may not be in the sweet spot for listening.

I have music flowing the whole time and do spot checks throughout hours one and two. The same 45 second sample in the first 15 minutes can sound very different one hour on, two hours on. 

Enjoyed many a 16-18 hour overnight sessions - some components simply sound better with a continuous flow of juice through them. Some music studios feel
wink_face.gif

the same way. By the way, WooAudio recommends no more than 8 hours of continuous playback. In my case, I ran 6SN7 series tubes and the Woo ran as cool as the other side of the pillow... even in summer.

frown.gif

my Woo? 

May 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #25,649 of 42,298
Quote:

wink_face.gif

frown.gif
my Woo? 

I don't see anything on your profile in the line of amps and cans. What gear are you using at the moment? i'm very interested to know. You have probably talked about it "till the cows come home" on other threads but i am too lazy to look.
popcorn.gif

May 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #25,650 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm home! Fired up the WA22. It is RCA Victor night.
Using it with:

1) NOS RCA 5U4G (1951).
2) NOS RCA 6SN7 (clear top, long black plates)
2) NOS RCA 6AS7 (1958)

Let's see how these old timers sounds together. Has anyone ever loaded there Woos with one brand of manufacturer?

impossible on a WA2! hmm, actually, sylvania 6CA4, 7308/6DJ8, and 7236 is the only combo i can think of.

possible with WA22, WA6-SE, WA6, WA3 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back