Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #22,201 of 42,298
Quote:

I'll be needing two as well, thanks!

No problem since ive ordered 10 already...with you i have 9 adapters already..1 more??? or ill keep it as my spare?

Update.

FX5K = 2
Jdmoorman = 2 
Dixter = 2
Setamp = 2
Aries626=1

Total 9..

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #22,202 of 42,298
Quote:
To: randomstranger: Hard to tell from the picture... Do you have any other 6AS7 tube set you could throw in there & listen if it makes a difference? It might even be one of the other ones, or some other, new nearby EF disturbance that may cause it rather than any of the tubes...

The outside of the tube shouldn't have much impact to the inside. If there is some corrosion on the pins that didn't make a difference before, I doubt it'd start now esp. if they were in there all the time. Check if the "chrome" blotch inside is not turning white or grey-ish, that would be one sign the tube is failing.

Tracking down the root of a problem is always the first, sometimes hardest, step before attempting any fix. Unless of course you look for an excuse to roll some new tubes...
tongue.gif

I'll try to clean the tubes after I pick up some Isopropyl alcohol tomorrow.  If that doesn't work, then I'm going to end up having to get new tubes.  I don't assume that Woo Audio's warranty covers tubes.   What tube recommendations would you give for someone who would like to start tube rolling without spending a lot of money?  I can find myself hearing the difference between tubes more palpable compared to cables.  I do enjoy the stock Woo tubes so if I can find a full set of power, drive and rectification tubes for a decent price, then that should solve my problem.  But if anyone has low cost alternatives for someone who enjoys a wide variety of music then let me know. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #22,203 of 42,298
So those came stock with your WA2? I don't know how long you've had it, but you can always contact Jack at Woo Audio and ask... Schiit replaced mine for the Valhalla when one side started hissing after about 3 weeks. (Your post reminded me about my own set that I almost immediately replaced, and I cannot find it back after looking for half an hour... I know they were standard Sylvanias for power, and some JJs for rectifier... so strange.)

Which ones to buy... that's a loaded question since there almost as many opinions as there are tubes. 6AS7s are easy to find, and on a budget, new-ish production russian ones especially, and you might like the bottle shape; prices go slightly up from regular to "Winged C" to NOS SovTek ones but all still affordable. Personally I wouldn't be able to tell the difference to be honest. I now have some fancier 5998s and Sylvanias on the way.

There are other people here with more experience who may give you more interesting choices. Besides that, this thread might help. Also, since I just linked to it in another thread: The New Improved Tube FAQ for Newbies

P.S.: My avatar is a close-up of the base of a Winged C 6AS7G
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #22,204 of 42,298
Quote:

I have the black dragon upgrade too on my PS1000. I will pop them on shortly and let you know heh heh, what sort of music do you listen to?

I have a pair of Mullard GZ34 too, work great with the PS1000 and anything really. Have found that the Shuggy CV181 works well to tame the PS1000 highs.

My order of tubes came in today, and I am very happy with the results.  I ended up doing a full tube roll through my inventory just to be safe and I ended up staying with the Telefunken GZ34 and RCA 6FD7's.  I no longer find the high's too forward with my PS1000's and the overall sound is very smooth with much more bass than I expected. 

My previous combo was the Sophia Princess with 6GL7's and this turned out to be not to my liking.  

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #22,205 of 42,298
My order of tubes came in today, and I am very happy with the results.  I ended up doing a full tube roll through my inventory just to be safe and I ended up staying with the Telefunken GZ34 and RCA 6FD7's.  I no longer find the high's too forward with my PS1000's and the overall sound is very smooth with much more bass than I expected. 

My previous combo was the Sophia Princess with 6GL7's and this turned out to be not to my liking.  

Assuming you have either WA6 or WA6SE, I totally agreed on the GZ34 and 6FD7 are the best sounding combo.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #22,209 of 42,298
+1

i still can't make the jump from the WA2 or WA6-SE to the WA22.... (you all know i mention it all the time lol)

i'm very satisfied with both amps right now.

From WA6SE is huge difference, mostly because of balanced input.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #22,210 of 42,298
Quote:

Great news :) I posted the LCD3 today after deciding that the Synergy with my WA5 and tube set wasn't really in step with the needs of those cans. Ill miss them as they're like wearing a comfy leather sofa over your ears!

I recall you specifically asked after the bass on the LCD3 vs PS1000. In my opinion and on my rig the bass on the LCD3 is ruler flat and goes very deep, however it lacks a certain firmness and slam that comes with the PS1000. Others will tell you (and their right) that the PS1000 have poor sub-bass performance, but they seem to do just fine for recorded bass guitars (at least to my ears!)

Have used the Sophia Princess 274b on my Woo and I really liked their smooth presentation, but there's something about the GZ34 that goes a little bit further in that department. Bass is great with those too.

If you haven't yet, you ought to try an EML 5U4G and a 596 if compatible with your Woo. I'm not a big fan of the latter but they bring a smile to 9 out of 10 head-fi ers :wink:

The 5U4G is a nice sounding, sort of laid back tube. Can be too polite for some but it works well for me (YMMV) with the PS1000.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #22,212 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Great news :) I posted the LCD3 today after deciding that the Synergy with my WA5 and tube set wasn't really in step with the needs of those cans. Ill miss them as they're like wearing a comfy leather sofa over your ears!

I recall you specifically asked after the bass on the LCD3 vs PS1000. In my opinion and on my rig the bass on the LCD3 is ruler flat and goes very deep, however it lacks a certain firmness and slam that comes with the PS1000. Others will tell you (and their right) that the PS1000 have poor sub-bass performance, but they seem to do just fine for recorded bass guitars (at least to my ears!)

Have used the Sophia Princess 274b on my Woo and I really liked their smooth presentation, but there's something about the GZ34 that goes a little bit further in that department. Bass is great with those too.

If you haven't yet, you ought to try an EML 5U4G and a 596 if compatible with your Woo. I'm not a big fan of the latter but they bring a smile to 9 out of 10 head-fi ers :wink:

The 5U4G is a nice sounding, sort of laid back tube. Can be too polite for some but it works well for me (YMMV) with the PS1000.

Yeah, a BIG Kool-aid smile! 
biggrin.gif
 Having enjoyed both of these glasses, I felt it was genre and drive tube dependent. But the '596' handle its business more often than not over both the EML Glass and Miss Sophia. Well, for me anyway...

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #22,213 of 42,298
Got my 5998s (TungSol black plates) and the morning turned... interesting. I got 3, a pair to be used in my WA2 and later WA22, and one spare (also for better matching, based on my experience w/ 6AS7s)

Good news is, they have detailed measurements on each box, bad news there is not much matching going on there... So my first question is what is best compromise to match things up? GM or plate current? Matched sections per tube or overall average for the pair? I figured I'd go with the closest matched sections and hope the automatic bias in the WA2 will adjust accordingly for the individual tube?

Second, I got a big scare when a few seconds after turning it on, I started hearing a loud rapidfire popping sound from my LCDs
eek.gif
I immediately turned down the volume and unplugged them (LCDs). I didn't get a chance to hear if it was just one of the channels. Is this normal or even OK? Was it just this one time since they were presumably being run for the first time in a long while, or should I expect that sputter every time I turn the amp on? I've never had this happen with any of my russian 6AS7s!

I let it warm up for another ~15min. plugged the headphone back in and slowly turned up the volume and it seemed OK then, dead quiet to the max. volume. I then turned it down and started playing some music, seemed OK too, had to turn it up slightly less to achieve my usual sound level on a couple of tracks I know well. Seem to sound good, but sometimes I seemed to hear a slight vibrato in louder sections and I started to wonder if it's in the track or related to staccato popping I heard when I turned it on... may be my imagination, I'll have to listen on another rig to make sure.

It certainly put a damper on my interest in NOS tubes...

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #22,214 of 42,298
heres what i've noticed about those power tubes in  the WA2.

im not sure i can tell the difference between a nicely matched pair of 5998s and a pair that isn't so closely matched.

if i was blind tested and i got it right i would chalk it up to luck.

but i don't swap out my 5998's with my other 5998 pairs that often
so my comparisons are far apart

and i agree that NOS tubes are kind of a scam gamble
a nos tube can be noisy or go microphonic just a easily as a used tube

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #22,215 of 42,298
If the problems started with the 5998's I would have them tested asap.

Plate current is a good way to match tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back