Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 4, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #20,776 of 42,298
Will do..!!!

can anyone recommend me a good driver tubes for the WA6SE..?i got the stock Sylvania 6EW7... 
Quote:
smiley_thumb.gif
 keph, looking forward to it!

May 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #20,777 of 42,298
i got raytheon 6ew7 and love them very much. under 20 bucks too.

i am interested in trying out other tubes as well

May 4, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #20,778 of 42,298
Quote:
Will do..!!!

can anyone recommend me a good driver tubes for the WA6SE..?i got the stock Sylvania 6EW7... 

I'm using some GE 6EW7s, they actually sound pretty similar to the stock Raytheon tubes that came with my 6SE. I enjoyed the 6FD7s jack was selling (because of their deep bass and smooth treble), but they have higher gain and on my D7000s and Signature Pros they added quite a bit of background noise so I moved back to the 6EW7s. I noticed that the FD7s were much quieter with the LCD2s and HE500s, so if you are using more power hungry headphones the FD7s are worth looking into (also relatively inexpensive).

May 4, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #20,779 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm using some GE 6EW7s, they actually sound pretty similar to the stock Raytheon tubes that came with my 6SE. I enjoyed the 6FD7s jack was selling (because of their deep bass and smooth treble), but they have higher gain and on my D7000s and Signature Pros they added quite a bit of background noise so I moved back to the 6EW7s. I noticed that the FD7s were much quieter with the LCD2s and HE500s, so if you are using more power hungry headphones the FD7s are worth looking into (also relatively inexpensive).

THX..yep im using the LCD-2 and the HE-500..i will find the 6FD7s asap..btw mine is shipped just this year so it means i can use the 6FD7 am i right??

May 4, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #20,780 of 42,298
Quote:

THX..yep im using the LCD-2 and the HE-500..i will find the 6FD7s asap..btw mine is shipped just this year so it means i can use the 6FD7 am i right??

I believe so, I got mine this year as well.. just a simple swap no adaptor needed. 

May 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #20,781 of 42,298
Quote:
Will do..!!!

Good to see you're getting good help from the membership! Want to thank you for the link to wiwitubes as well. Lorenz Tang has been very patient and willing to work with me overnight as a first time customer.
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #20,782 of 42,298
Quote:

Good to see you're getting good help from the membership! Want to thank you for the link to wiwitubes as well. Lorenz Tang has been very patient and willing to work with me overnight as a first time customer.
beerchug.gif

Well im now proud to be a Woo Audio member and a proud Woo Audio owner...!!!!
biggrin.gif

can't wait for my Stello DA220 to arrive on monday...

May 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #20,783 of 42,298
I need help with my WA22.

My amp still hums.  I can hear it in my D7000 and on the outside of the amp.  I have tried 10 different power tubes.  3 rectifiers and a couple of drivers.  I have tried Herby tube rings, isolation platform and a power conditioner.  No matter what I do I still hear noise.  I just got a pair of 7236 and I think the power tubes are quieter, but the amp still hums.  I can hear the humming on the outside of the amp, and I think it is translating into the headphones.  I might be able to get a different rectifier, I had one that did not make the amp hum as much, but I sold it.

Should I send it in the Woo and have it fixed?  I actually really like it now that I have the WDS-1 and can turn the volume down.  If I cannot get rid of the humming, I'm going to have to sell it, but I don't think I can sell it the way it is now.  I wouldn't want to buy it.

I had noise problems, although not as bad when I had the T1.  I know the D7000 is sensitive, but I think this is outside the norm.  I had noise problems with the Corvina and turns out there was a loose ground with it.  This seems similar.  Should I open it up and check if anything is loose?

Edit: I guess I should mention it's with the WA22.

May 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #20,785 of 42,298
http://www.wiwitubes.com/en/cform.php contact them..they are based in Hong Kong and will do international shipping. They have loads of 5998s and other sort of tubes just name them and they will have it..i just got some 5U4G and 274B from them.ill post photos of the shop later..

I used to buy from them with OP's help. They don't ship when I first approach them. Lorenz is a great...

May 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #20,786 of 42,298
Quote:
Will do..!!!

Japanese made Raytheon 6EW7 and British made GE 6EW7 get my vote.  I had a pair of RCA 6FD7 with a rare and unique plate configuration I really liked too when I had my WA6, but nobody including myself was ever able to find another pair like it.  Hopefully the new owner enjoys them.  A Sylvania 6FD7 is probably also worth trying, I personally didn't care for the commonly found grey plate RCA version.

May 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #20,787 of 42,298
Just got the Sophia Electric Princess mesh-plate rectifier I ordered from Macedanian Hero. MH, I can't believe how fast it got here - thanks!

After only a few minutes, this is EXACTLY what i was hoping it would be. It widened the sound stage, tightened the bass up and made it more articulate, and sped things up a tad all at the same time compared to my Mullard GZ37. I was looking for a nice middle ground between my GZ34 and GZ37 and instead got a complete improvement over both. It goes great with my Sylvania chrome top 6SN7, which are very nice and have nice lush mids.

I'll have to try my Tung Sol 6F8G again tonight with the princess now. Using the Mullard GZ37 and GZ34, I ended up preferring the Sylvania 6SN7. Be interesting to try again with the Princess this time since the combo has a lot to do with how a given tube sounds.

May 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #20,789 of 42,298
Quote:
Just got the Sophia Electric Princess mesh-plate rectifier I ordered from Macedanian Hero. MH, I can't believe how fast it got here - thanks!

After only a few minutes, this is EXACTLY what i was hoping it would be. It widened the sound stage, tightened the bass up and made it more articulate, and sped things up a tad all at the same time compared to my Mullard GZ37. I was looking for a nice middle ground between my GZ34 and GZ37 and instead got a complete improvement over both. It goes great with my Sylvania chrome top 6SN7, which are very nice and have nice lush mids.

I'll have to try my Tung Sol 6F8G again tonight with the princess now. Using the Mullard GZ37 and GZ34, I ended up preferring the Sylvania 6SN7. Be interesting to try again with the Princess this time since the combo has a lot to do with how a given tube sounds.

Glad you're enjoying it (and that it got there so fast from here in Canada).
smile.gif
The Princess and the EML 5U4G were my two favourite rectifier tubes for the WA22.

May 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #20,790 of 42,298
is the Full music 274B the OEM for the Sophia Princess??? i got the Balloon glass instead of the Coke glass one..somehow ive read almost anything i could find for the Full music brand but lots of people were saying that Full Music is the OEM for Sophia Princess 274B tube..

anyone have compared them..? I kinda like the sound of my Full music 274B compared to my Tung-Sol 5U4G tubes for my now configuration without DAC and DDC just straight out of my laptop with 3.5mm to RCA cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back