Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #16,952 of 42,298

Quote:
Heh.  You can buy Miku and Konata plush dolls at the Mall now?  I guess that is one way to get around the Dollar/Yen exchange rate.

I've thought this for a while now, but this forum seems to have a awful lot of anime fans.  Can't help but wonder what it is about the two hobbies going together somehow.

i made a post on another forum a while ago cause i had that same question lol.

Quote:
My WA2 came in the mail yesterday, via Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. I don't know what arrangement they've hammered out with Woo Audio but aussies are lucky to have opportunity!
I got mine in Silver, and the stock 6DJ8s appear to be JAN's packed in '72, so they're older than me. The 6AS7GA's came in Westinghouse boxes, look identical to each other, but only one has readable markings. Notable General Electric. 6v4 / EZ80s are 'International Servicemaster'. Some sort of old OEM?

I'm loving it so far. I'm not sure I could necessarily pick it from my Solid State one of Similar price (back in the day) in a pinch, but it does sound different on some material I've tried, granted, I'm mostly jumping around playlists. Overalll, I'm very pleased, I didn't have high expectations. I really didn't know what to expect from Valves, not sure I do now! The build quality is awesome and surely has to have some psychoacoustic effect because nothing that is built with AWESOME can sound bad right?

Using a pair of 32 ohm Alessandro MS pro (picked over T1), No regrets as yet. If they're disagreeing with each other, they're keeping it low key. I might dust off an old pair of DT880s to have a play.

I've been suprised how much a temperature difference you get when you blow fresh air over the valves. They must like good Air Flow. Measured with Infra-red thermometer.

600 ohm beyers are supposed to sound lovely with otl amps. my WA2 arrives in the mail tomorrow. i got tungsol 5998 tubes for it which are supposed to be a must have to get the most out of the WA2. and i plan on getting beyer T1's later on to have the highly regarded WA2/T1 combo. i'm sooo excited!!!!

Quote:
A complete mystery, but it appears harmless.

beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #16,953 of 42,298

Quote:
600 ohm beyers are supposed to sound lovely with otl amps. my WA2 arrives in the mail tomorrow. i got tungsol 5998 tubes for it which are supposed to be a must have to get the most out of the WA2. and i plan on getting beyer T1's later on to have the highly regarded WA2/T1 combo. i'm sooo excited!!!!

beerchug.gif

i can't wait for you to get it.
you might rediscover your 990s
i wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if i had a woo arriving tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #16,954 of 42,298

Quote:
i can't wait for you to get it.
you might rediscover your 990s
i wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if i had a woo arriving tomorrow

LOL ikr!!? the excitement, and the wait. i just can't wait anymore lol. im like checking the fedex tracker every few minutes and browsing the woo website lol. its pretty bad. it'll be in my hands in 24 hours tho 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #16,955 of 42,298

Quote:
LOL ikr!!? the excitement, and the wait. i just can't wait anymore lol. im like checking the fedex tracker every few minutes and browsing the woo website lol. its pretty bad. it'll be in my hands in 24 hours tho 
biggrin.gif

Shipping info --

ph34r.gif
  I find myself checking route & weather conditions constantly... now that's bad.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #16,956 of 42,298

Quote:

Shipping info --

ph34r.gif
  I find myself checking route & weather conditions constantly... now that's bad.

omg lol that is bad! 

how do u know the route? major interstates?

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #16,957 of 42,298

Quote:
omg lol that is bad! 

how do u know the route? major interstates?

This info is carrier dependent. But, knowing the Hubs, Distribution points and Contingency plans the carrier has. And obviously, what method of shipping you chose - Ground/Air which could further be broken down - Next Day Air/2-3 Day. Let's say for example that you selected Ground Delivery (UPS) for a package that will travel 1,200 miles from the shipper to your door. A single 18-Wheeler will not be making that run in its entirety.

Rather, you might see the route segmented with three rigs with each driver travelling 400 miles - dropping off one load and then returning with another. 
rolleyes.gif
 So, with the Weather Channel on one of my three screens... I stare and study. 
biggrin.gif
 What good is having three computers if you ain't gonna use them?!

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #16,958 of 42,298
ya know, there is a spiffy iDevice app and OS X widget called "Deliveries" from junecloud that does an awful good job of tracking packages.  the apps/widget synch through junecloud so when you add a tracking number it shows up on all your devices automagically.  it can also divine the correct carrier from the tracking number or amazon order number so adding entries is easy as pie.  i highly recommend it for the mac types among us.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #16,959 of 42,298
matched tungsol 5998s arrived today! beautiful tubes. will post pic up when WA2 arrives tomorrow!

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #16,960 of 42,298

biggrin.gif

I hear that... My WA6 with Sophia Princess and 6SN7 adapters are coming today, been sitting at the door... haha.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #16,964 of 42,298

Quote:
my WA2 arrives in the mail tomorrow

DubStep Girl:

Would be very interested in hearing what you think of your RS1 and the WA2!  Please post a little something, I know this is not an ideal match on paper, but many people seem to like it.  TIA.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #16,965 of 42,298

Quote:
I was looking for a little while, but the prices have become absurd.  The 5998 is my favorite in the series as well, just seems more transparent all around with amazing bass control and there is a little more "meat" to the midrange. 

I actually don't think the the 6080 sounds all that terrible actually, after hearing how much people hate on it.  At least not in an OTL circuit.  I scored some beautiful JAN Chatham 6080s from 1959 with the clip style mica retainers for a practically nothing.  While I don't prefer them to the 6AS7 or 5998 they were certainly livable.  There is a certain thinness to the sound which makes them feel unnatural though, like the body of the music is a bit hollow.

X2 on the 6080. Just have to turn the volume up more on the 6080 than the 7236 or 5998.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back