Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard rock!]
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 27
Sennheiser is just too good 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
Any suggestion of a faster portable supraaural than the HD 25-1 ii? Are the DT1350's comparatively faster?

I didn't have much interest in the 1350s until I saw Jude's video review and some other various feedback. I picked up a pair and have been absolutely thrilled with them. Right now I've just got Pandora playing on my iPhone and the 1350s are truly rockin'. These are fantastic portables. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
Any suggestion of a faster portable supraaural than the HD 25-1 ii? Are the DT1350's comparatively faster?

They're the fastest portable that's not bass light I guess.
EDIT: Not just not bass light, but can go very low. But still it's very fast! It's just phenomenal. lol..

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 27
For example:

What really throws it off is the addition of the horns, drums, and other instrumentation in "Area 52".  The album craves a set of headphones that can take different pieces of the music and piece it together like a puzzle, and I feel the Sennheisers really shine here. 

The representation of distinct layered is another way to say it has good soundstage.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #22 of 27
HD800 is probably the fastest headphones outside of electrostatics. Of course it's also $1500 and TOTL.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #23 of 27
HD800 is probably the fastest headphones outside of electrostatics. Of course it's also $1500 and TOTL.
maybe the classic sony mdr sa 1000/3000/5000 are faster than HD800. Nothing matches or beat electrostatics, they were so fast my ears couldn't keep up.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 27

HD800 uses an aluminum ring radiator, Focal Utopia uses beryllium, so Utopia wins by default. Speed of sound of beryllium is around 12,000m/s, whereas it's about 5,000 m/s for aluminum.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 27
HD800 uses an aluminum ring radiator, Focal Utopia uses beryllium, so Utopia wins by default. Speed of sound of beryllium is around 12,000m/s, whereas it's about 5,000 m/s for aluminum.

Expensive materials is no guarantee of quality. At all. It's about the engineering, and the integration of said materials. Headphone "speed" is one of the least understood phenomenon, and this thread seems to validate that. The "sound of speed of Beryllium" is actually the speed of the longitudinal wave that travels through the material itself, it has nothing to do with the ability of the driver to react to impulses, and nothing to do with the speed of sound reaching your ear, since the speed of sound through air is a constant. A 22khz tone would require the driver to make 22,000 oscillations/second, well above the longitudinal wave. Longitudinal wave speed has more to do with internal resonance than anything else. And the longitudinal wave speed of air, the most natural medium there is to transport a sound wave, is 300m/s, so obviously longitudinal wave speed doesn't decide everything on its own. I'm not saying that longitudinal wave speed can't effect headphone performance, but its one of many many factors and when people throw out random specs like this it doesn't really help to put things into perspective for people.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #26 of 27
Expensive materials is no guarantee of quality. At all. It's about the engineering, and the integration of said materials. Headphone "speed" is one of the least understood phenomenon, and this thread seems to validate that. The "sound of speed of Beryllium" is actually the speed of the longitudinal wave that travels through the material itself, it has nothing to do with the ability of the driver to react to impulses, and nothing to do with the speed of sound reaching your ear, since the speed of sound through air is a constant. A 22khz tone would require the driver to make 22,000 oscillations/second, well above the longitudinal wave. Longitudinal wave speed has more to do with internal resonance than anything else. And the longitudinal wave speed of air, the most natural medium there is to transport a sound wave, is 300m/s, so obviously longitudinal wave speed doesn't decide everything on its own. I'm not saying that longitudinal wave speed can't effect headphone performance, but its one of many many factors and when people throw out random specs like this it doesn't really help to put things into perspective for people.

Beryllium is self damping, does not ring as much as aluminum so decay will be faster, not to mention the Utopia is the first dynamic driver in the world without a former, which sheds significant voice coil mass, meaning yes, it is a faster driver.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #27 of 27
I think headphones with biocellulose transducers are particularly good at presenting complex passages of music in a way that is better and more natural than planar magnetics. I'm not a fan of planar magnetic headphones. IMO, a state of the art, very well engineered normal dynamic type headphone (usually the $1K+ flagships) can compete with less expensive biocellulose headphones for this aspect of sound quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back