Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #392 of 484
Got my Final Audio Heaven VI in this morning. After a full day of listening...I must say I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase.

I'm more of a Headphone guy rather than a in-ear guy...but these things sound like a high priced pair of cans.

I really get a feeling of the music being outside of my head and they have a real natural sound to my ears.

If I had one complaint it would be the microphonics from the cord is really annoying. The slider on the cord helps alleviate this a bit but not completely. Also, I don't like hearing the thump of every step I take while using them on the go (this would probably be applied to most of the in-ear style)

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #393 of 484
Got my Final Audio Heaven VI in this morning. After a full day of listening...I must say I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase.

I'm more of a Headphone guy rather than a in-ear guy...but these things sound like a high priced pair of cans.

I really get a feeling of the music being outside of my head and they have a real natural sound to my ears.

If I had one complaint it would be the microphonics from the cord is really annoying. The slider on the cord helps alleviate this a bit but not completely. Also, I don't like hearing the thump of every step I take while using them on the go (this would probably be applied to most of the in-ear style)

If you're not bothered by looking odd, try looping it from behind to over-the-ear but placement still having the wire sticking out from beneath. The loop will look rather odd but it will eliminate most if not all microphonics and improves fit and comfort as the weight of the cable would no longer be pulling down. One more tip is to be using smaller ear tips for deeper insertion. Lastly, wide bore tip has a better soundstage for me. Enjoy!! :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #394 of 484
I'd have to go with Altec Lansing MZX606 Ultra Hi Def headphones, even though it appears Altec has discontinued headphones/earphones entirely.  I was a fan of the Backbeat series, beginning with the UHP326's (my pair is still going strong) and continuing with Plantronics' buy-out of the company and subsequent release of phones with the Backbeat design.  But the sound of the MZX606 Ultra's, with balanced amature, though less strong in the bass register, was crystalline, even, true to the original source material to a degree I hadn't heard in previous earphones.  However, there is a design flaw that should disqualify them from consideration, should you come upon a pair.  The cable employs a double anchorage system--adding a loop, or "safety chain"--intended to guard against any separation of the cable from the earphone.  The problem is simply this: after a passage of time this double connection places so much pressure on the cap that it separates it from the earphone, exposing the bare wire.  I'm still able to use my pair, but only after applying some glue to the loose lid, recapping the phones, and relieving pressure on the glued cap by undoing the double loop.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #395 of 484
Just recently acquired a IEM i've been hunting for quite a while, the FitEar Parterre's and I believe they trump almost any IEMs I have heard in terms of mid range, highs and vocals. The comfort is really my only gripe with the Parterre, but they do fit better than the TG334 for sure.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #396 of 484
For me it's the XBA-2. Why?

1) Because it's the only BA I've tried/owned, so by default its the best
wink.gif
2) I like it. Quite a bit. *shrug*

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #398 of 484
Parterre is awesome for sure. Just recently acquired one myself. A bit late to the party.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #402 of 484
Not heard as many as I would like (especially at the high end like the FitEars) but here's my list from the ones I have heard for an extended duration

SM3 > W4R = SM64 = Sleek SA6 > DBA-02 Mk2 > W3 > E2C > SE210

The Sleek Audio SA6, despite terrible durability (I've replaced the cable about 5 times now since buying it way back in 2008), was such a brilliantly conceived earphone that punched well above its weight on sheer audio quality. Might have been the first one to do the whole customize the sound with the filters and ports thing that seems to be the growing trend now.

I have auditioned the 846 a few times but not enough to rank it in here

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #403 of 484
  Not heard as many as I would like (especially at the high end like the FitEars) but here's my list from the ones I have heard for an extended duration

SM3 > W4R = SM64 = Sleek SA6 > DBA-02 Mk2 > W3 > E2C > SE215

The Sleek Audio SA6, despite terrible durability (I've replaced the cable about 5 times now since buying it way back in 2008), was such a brilliantly conceived earphone that punched well above its weight on sheer audio quality. Might have been the first one to do the whole customize the sound with the filters and ports thing that seems to be the growing trend now.

I have auditioned the 846 a few times but not enough to rank it in here

SE215 is a Dynamic Driver - for some reason, I originally thought it was a BA - the Shure term "micro drivers" threw me 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #404 of 484
  SE215 is a Dynamic Driver - for some reason, I originally thought it was a BA - the Shure term "micro drivers" threw me 
biggrin.gif

Actually, I might have confused the SE210 with the SE215 since it was the successor to the E2C series when Shure rebranded their line for some reason (made the change above). The 210 was BA from what I recall.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #405 of 484
Heard quite a few balanced armature earphones, mostly single or dual drivers...

Overall best would probably be Westone 4 for now... UE900 comes a very close second...

If it is per driver:
single driver - technically probably X10, but somehow I like the sound signature of the Ares and PL-50 more
dual driver - BA200
triple driver - Only heard TF10 so...
quad driver - Westone 4

probably that is about it

So I have listened to more headphones/earphones over time

I would say now that UE900 sounds better to me than the Westone 4,and so is the BA200... Ultimately the UE900 is really nice but BA200 comes a close second for having such a nice sound signature which is similar to what I hear on the HD600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back