Westone ES5
Oct 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #257 of 5,554
I can see that these are "deep canal" earpieces.  Did you ask specifically for that, or did they know to do it?  (Customs with shallow canals just don't work for me.)  Cheers.

Quote:
Hope this helps. This is the best I could do. I can clearly see the speakers with my own eyes in person but my simple camera isn't HQ enough. Sorry.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #258 of 5,554
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517097/ultimate-ears-triplefi-10-customs

Quote:
Don't know  really. I am still happy with my collection of universals, and would actually prefer to keep them all. Yet, customs have always interested me - an in-ear monitor uniquely just for me. Just want one that makes sense for me to own, and not interesting in spending over a thousand dollars for one. Actually, I am not interested in spending $950 for one, so the idea scenario would be to find someone who is tired of their custom and have it re-shelled. Also, the option of changing the SM3 and/or Klipsch Custom 3 (when I get it next week) into customs is still on the table. I just may decide on that cheaper route with Fisher in Florida.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #259 of 5,554
Quote:
I can see that these are "deep canal" earpieces.  Did you ask specifically for that, or did they know to do it?  (Customs with shallow canals just don't work for me.)  Cheers.

I requested 'deep canal tips' which worked out great. Westone recently told someone that you don't have to specify 'deep' but I definitely would. Then you can be sure that a technician won't determine that somehow you have those unusual 'perfect for shallow' ears.

Of course you need to give them good deep impressions.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #260 of 5,554
Well here is something interesting - I've always complained that Kathleen Edwards "Back to Me" album had a lot of sibilance in it, but I can enjoy it better with my ES5 than my JH13Pro which seem to enhance the sibilance more than my ES5.  That album on a 4G Nano with Phonak PFE was unlistenable.

Also, the 3OH3! "Want" album that is unlistenable with ES5 out of my iPhone 3GS headphone jack sounds much better with iPad > Pico DAC > ALO Amphora amp.  It's still a very sucky recording and needs to be re-mastered.  I went through my library and I'm hard pressed to find any album that sounds bad with my ES5, other than the 3OH3! album.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #261 of 5,554
Can't wait for your ES5 review HPA. Looking forward to comparisons with the JH13. I'm choosing between the ES5, JH13, and the EM3. Choices choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #262 of 5,554
Quote:
Well here is something interesting - I've always complained that Kathleen Edwards "Back to Me" album had a lot of sibilance in it, but I can enjoy it better with my ES5 than my JH13Pro which seem to enhance the sibilance more than my ES5.  That album on a 4G Nano with Phonak PFE was unlistenable.

Also, the 3OH3! "Want" album that is unlistenable with ES5 out of my iPhone 3GS headphone jack sounds much better with iPad > Pico DAC > ALO Amphora amp.  It's still a very sucky recording and needs to be re-mastered.  I went through my library and I'm hard pressed to find any album that sounds bad with my ES5, other than the 3OH3! album.

That is very interesting because it validates, at least in part, a comment about sibilance in this comparative review which was criticised by some on here. (You haven't actually said, as the reviewer did, that the JH13 is sibilant but you confirm his comparison. It's worth remembering that this guy is a dialogue editor which might influence one's perspective on sibilance.)

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #263 of 5,554
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #265 of 5,554
Good call!

Quote:
I requested 'deep canal tips' which worked out great. Westone recently told someone that you don't have to specify 'deep' but I definitely would. Then you can be sure that a technician won't determine that somehow you have those unusual 'perfect for shallow' ears.

Of course you need to give them good deep impressions.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #266 of 5,554
hm.. does anyone know what these will end up costing? I know people say 950$, but maybe when you go to the audiologist, you end up paying much more.
It's probably even worse in Canada
frown.gif

I think I'll need to travel to the States.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #267 of 5,554
The ES5 are $950 artwork costs $75 you will have to pay tax and it depends on whether the Audiologist will charge for the impressions or a sitting fee which mine did not.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #268 of 5,554
Quote:
hm.. does anyone know what these will end up costing? I know people say 950$, but maybe when you go to the audiologist, you end up paying much more.
It's probably even worse in Canada
frown.gif

I think I'll need to travel to the States.

The audiologist fee depends on who you go to. Some audiologists (FWIR) do it for free, there are DIY kits (~$20), or you could got to a top-notch audiologist and get a fee of up to $100.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #269 of 5,554

Quote:
The audiologist fee depends on who you go to. Some audiologists (FWIR) do it for free, there are DIY kits (~$20), or you could got to a top-notch audiologist and get a fee of up to $100.

A top notch audiologist like Beth Orliss in the New York City area is often also a Westone/JHA/Future Sonics dealer and will do the impression for free if you buy through her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back