Westone ES5
Oct 7, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #241 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
iRadiO said:

For those thinking the Westone ES5's may be bass shy. To me, the ES5's bass has a chameleon effect to it. It seems to have the right amount of bass for everything I throw at it.

Thanks for addressing that.

Two questions:
1) Will you do a comparison with your jh monitors?

2) Why'd you change your name from Sonic748i or whatever it was?

iRadiO's real (original) user account was VoLTaG3, and he's had at least 12 fake accounts and been banned every single time, keeps coming back and has a tendency, amongst other things, to post faaaar too often.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #242 of 5,554

Quote:
Is that common to have a woofer that big in these customs?  I've never seen one that big before, rather impressive for a BA.

ph34r.gif

There are some pretty large BA drivers that are used for the bass
smily_headphones1.gif
It looks like the ES5 uses similar drivers to the ES3X but adds another twfk in there.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #243 of 5,554
Think I am going to start saving up for these, unless I can come up with a sale deal for my SE535, SM3 and SM2 (keeping the FX700). These are the first customs I've seen that have struck my fancy.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #245 of 5,554

Quote:
Think I am going to start saving up for these, unless I can come up with a sale deal for my SE535, SM3 and SM2 (keeping the FX700). These are the first customs I've seen that have struck my fancy.

Coming to customs? What finally triggered the change?

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #246 of 5,554

Quote:

Don't know  really. I am still happy with my collection of universals, and would actually prefer to keep them all. Yet, customs have always interested me - an in-ear monitor uniquely just for me. Just want one that makes sense for me to own, and not interesting in spending over a thousand dollars for one. Actually, I am not interested in spending $950 for one, so the idea scenario would be to find someone who is tired of their custom and have it re-shelled. Also, the option of changing the SM3 and/or Klipsch Custom 3 (when I get it next week) into customs is still on the table. I just may decide on that cheaper route with Fisher in Florida.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #248 of 5,554

Quote:
For some reason I don't think you are going to find a ES5 in the FS anytime soon
tongue.gif

Agreed.  Also, AFAIK nobody but Westone can make the ES5s with the hybrid material, which is one of the really cool things about them.  So a used pair wouldn't be as good as a new pair, even reshelled.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #249 of 5,554
Well, I see a lot of JH customs in the classifieds, so who knows. But I'm not sitting back counting on it either way. Just weighing my options fellas (and ladies if you are here)... 
popcorn.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #250 of 5,554
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Don't know  really. I am still happy with my collection of universals, and would actually prefer to keep them all. Yet, customs have always interested me - an in-ear monitor uniquely just for me. Just want one that makes sense for me to own, and not interesting in spending over a thousand dollars for one. Actually, I am not interested in spending $950 for one, so the idea scenario would be to find someone who is tired of their custom and have it re-shelled. Also, the option of changing the SM3 and/or Klipsch Custom 3 (when I get it next week) into customs is still on the table. I just may decide on that cheaper route with Fisher in Florida.

hahaha, resistance is futile, so kiss yer wallet goodbye!
evil_smiley.gif

if you don't want to spend that much on customs you can always start slow (eg. JH5), and then as they seduce you, you'll start to not care about the price. you'll find yourself saving up for ES5s, EM3 pros, UE reference monitors, and JH3As!
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #252 of 5,554

Quote:
hahaha, resistance is futile, so kiss yer wallet goodbye!
evil_smiley.gif

if you don't want to spend that much on customs you can always start slow (eg. JH5), and then as they seduce you, you'll start to not care about the price. you'll find yourself saving up for ES5s, EM3 pros, UE reference monitors, and JH3As!
wink.gif

Sounds like what I did in starting slow. I got some inexpensive customs by remolding and now I'm saving up for the ES5. Luckily for my wallet I can't buy it now so my wallet is quite happy now but once I get enough it won't know what hit it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #253 of 5,554
The ES5 does Rage Against The Machine and does it bloody well. Killing In The Name Of rarely sounded so good.

(Zack de la Rocha is an idiot but the eponymous first album is an important test of any headphone's ability to rock heavily at high production values - and a real challenge for IEMs.)

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #255 of 5,554
There are so many very nice custom monitors these days. It's so hard to choose one. Really difficult especially for those going for one for the first time. and Now, they're all almost at the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back