Westone ES5
Nov 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #691 of 5,554

Quote:
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am in Hk and am looking to get the ES5, anyone has an idea about where to get good impressions? Also, I checked the Westone site and there are 3 authorized dealers in HK, does it matter which one I get the earphones from? Since their price all seem to differ.

it matters a lot
ask cooper

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #692 of 5,554

Headphone Addict, what are you using for an amp with your ES5s?

Pico Slim with iPhone 4 or 5G Nano, and HM-801/602.

The ES5 are the only custom IEM I brought with me for Thanksgiving holiday. They're that good.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #693 of 5,554
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am in Hk and am looking to get the ES5, anyone has an idea about where to get good impressions? Also, I checked the Westone site and there are 3 authorized dealers in HK, does it matter which one I get the earphones from? Since their price all seem to differ.

it matters a lot
ask cooper

Wow, really, would love to know the details. =)

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #694 of 5,554
Agree.  That's my experience as well.

Quote:
Quote:

it matters a lot
ask cooper

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #695 of 5,554
I've asked cooperpwc personally, he recommends this one, here is the response:

Asia Hearing Centre

[size=10pt] Address: Room 801, Argyle Centre, 688 Nathan Road, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong. (MTR 'D2' Exit) [/size]

[size=11pt]  [/size]

[size=inherit]
[size=10pt] Other Address:[/size]

[size=10pt] Room 1001, Capitol Centre, 5-19 Jardine Bazaar, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong. (MTR 'F' Exit) [/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt] Contact: Mr. Cheng Chi Man / Mr. Nelson Au  [/size]

[size=10pt] Title: Audiologist [/size]

[size=10pt] Phone No.: (852) 2309 1929 (Mong Kok)  [/size]

[size=10pt] Other Phone No.: (852) 2882 8910 (Causeway Bay)  [/size]

[size=10pt] Fax No.: (852) 2309 1969  [/size]

[size=10pt] Homepage:www.yp.com.hk/asiahearing  [/size]

[size=10pt] Other Homepage:www.asiahearing.biz.com.hk [/size]

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #697 of 5,554
I'm also in HK, and I went to the one cooper suggested, the impression looked a lot like the one Cooper has from siemens, everything seemed very professional. Then I went over to Thinking Group, which is the real dealer of Westones in HK and gave them my impressions and ordered. Please be aware their office for ordering customs are at Kwai Chung and not Wan Chai, I made that mistake today.... costed me a lot of time. Es5 plus artwork was $8,799hkd. The other shops that sell it (sometimes slightly cheaper) just send it to Thinking Group in the end, so if you don't mind waiting a few days for them to send it to and fro, then you could go to Mingoes or Hang Yuen. I prefer to do it with the dealer themselves to speed up the process.

Also, I think don't get mixed up, in HK the audiologist is not the dealer, two different things. The impression sure as heck matters, the recommended audiologist by Mingoes is the''failed' ones (it looks simplistic compared to the one I got as well) that Cooper showed (by Joyce Au?). Incidentally, many head-fiers in hong kong claim the isolation on their customs are poor compared to universals.... I wonder why....

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #698 of 5,554
Thanks for the info. The cheapest deal I have found so far is from AV 2000, who sells them for 7580, I am just wondering if I do end up getting the ES5 from them, should I need anything else later (refits, other maintenance issues), can I still go directly to Thinking Group?

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #699 of 5,554
You can always choose to go to Thinking Group no matter where you bought it, because they're the real local dealer/maintenance company.  If you bring a faulty Westone to the shop you bought it from, they'll just tell you to go take it to Thinking Group, or if they're nice, that they'd help you send it over.  (waiting time)

I was actually thinking about just going to one of the ... non-authorized dealers and getting it a bit cheaper, but I was so worried about the ear impressions being knocked around in their box while in transit (delivery to Thinking Group), I wanted to minimize the chance of my ear impressions getting damaged... I'm so paranoid...

LCeh, pls PM me if you want anymore info, I just did the whole process on Friday, don't wanna jack the thread anymore than we have. =P

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #700 of 5,554
Guys, I am on vacation in Chile and can't easily keep up with all this but some quick notes:
- The Asian Hearing Centre is recommended to me by a reliable source but I have not actually used them. My second impressions were done in Shanghai at the Siemens Hearing Centre in Xujiahui and they were very good.
- My first impressions which were done in HK were from the ThinkingGroup recommended audiologist. Nice lady but the technique was terrible and the results atrocious.
- Ordering the ES5 directly from the ThiniingGroup makes sense. Their head office in Wanchai is where I ordered mine. (I arranged my visit in advance.) The service was good.

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #701 of 5,554
I just tried the pee test with ES5s on and no music.  They failed miserably.  I could hear everything just fine.  I wonder if should get a refit then?  I was planning on using these to fly with, but not if I have to turn the volume up to compensate for the outside noise.  Thoughts?

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #702 of 5,554

Quote:
I just tried the pee test with ES5s on and no music.  They failed miserably.  I could hear everything just fine.  I wonder if should get a refit then?  I was planning on using these to fly with, but not if I have to turn the volume up to compensate for the outside noise.  Thoughts?

Sounds like a bad fit to me.  Even a modest isolating universal should attenuate something.  I'd expect a custom to do better than average and the ES5 to be better than most hard acrylic customs by a few db.

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #703 of 5,554

Quote:

Are you sure they are in all the way? I had a similar experience until I realized that I hadn't been pushing the outside portion of the phone tightly against my ear. The portion in the ear canal was fine, but the outside portion was slightly off my ear. Once I pushed it all the way against my ear, it kind of snapped into place, and gave me a nice seal. Just a thought.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #704 of 5,554
No they are in fine or in the right way.  As I'm typing I have the tv at moderate volume and can hear it.  I just took the dog on a walk and could hear the wind very well with music playing.  So is it normal to be able to hear the tv with no music playing?  Just asking one more time because I'd hate to send them back as I don't have any other portable headphones.  On top of that, I had to wait 3 weeks to get them in the first place. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back